Aurora Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Aurora Sequencer Software > Aurora 1.0 > Installation Issues
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

UAC ???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ChrisL1976 View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ChrisL1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2008 at 10:48am
So its a case of either turn ON UAC back on and not be able to run Aurora or my show from the laptop which was part of my reasoning for buying the laptop, or turn off UAC and be able to run my show, but risk harming the computer.

I'll get you guys all the specific errors I'm getting and maybe a fix can get figured out. If not, I'll try that Application Compatibility Toolkit from MS and see if that works......if nothing works, I'll just turn off my wi-fi for the month of December, turn off UAC, and run the the show from the laptop.     
Chris

www.lightsonsixth.com
Pony_God View Drop Down

Quote Pony_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2008 at 10:38am

And don't forget to make sure that auto-updates are on. And the optional updates are added. And the AV is updated nightly, and that it does deep scans. and... and... and... Unless you know what needs to be done, and have to time to do it, I warn against turning any protection off.

Fine. You're so smart you rig up the lights.
D-Light users Unite!
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote ChrisL1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2008 at 10:38am
Originally posted by Pony_God

What's the actuall error? What's happeneing? What's the UAC ask? What's your answer to it?

I believe its the MSCOMM32 error, but I can get it for sure when I get home for lunch.

click to open Aurora and it asks if I want to allow it to run, I click allow.  Error pops up, and shuts down Aurora.  

I can get more specific at lunch if needed....actual wording, etc
Chris

www.lightsonsixth.com
LightChristmas View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote LightChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2008 at 10:35am
UAC can be "turned off" !!!PROVIDED!!! you have good firewall and virus software. The shrink wrapped trash that comes with many PCs won't cut it. And the firewall that comes with windoze is more deterrent than protection. If you're going to pursue this course, I recommend using AVG 8.0 antivirus/malware/spyware and BlackIce as a firewall. Do NOT use the default settings as these are most likely compromised by now. BlackIce is freeware while the AVG you want will cost you $55

The other downside to turning off UAC is that you will be constantly nagged by windoze to turn it back on. Which is why many of us have PCs - to TUNE OUT the nagging!LOL

Pony_God View Drop Down

Quote Pony_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2008 at 10:23am
What's the actuall error? What's happeneing? What's the UAC ask? What's your answer to it?
Fine. You're so smart you rig up the lights.
D-Light users Unite!
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote ChrisL1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2008 at 10:13am
Originally posted by bdkeen

Appears as if UAC is normally an all or nothing but there also appears to be ways to be more selective.
Haven't tried it myself - but perhaps http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/window-on-windows/?p=635 will provide a starting point.

I was just reading that article.   Maybe I'll give it a shot. 
LOL

Edited by ChrisL1976 - 01 Oct 2008 at 10:13am
Chris

www.lightsonsixth.com
bdkeen View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote bdkeen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2008 at 10:08am
Appears as if UAC is normally an all or nothing but there also appears to be ways to be more selective.
Haven't tried it myself - but perhaps http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/window-on-windows/?p=635 will provide a starting point.
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote ChrisL1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2008 at 10:00am
so is there a way in Vista to turn off the UAC from only Aurora?    Although that babysitter does annoy the crap out of me  :)
Chris

www.lightsonsixth.com
bdkeen View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote bdkeen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2008 at 9:45am
If you're asking me - yes Vista Patch and 1b..  Aurora works just fine and I've got absolutely no problems with Aurora running on XP, Vista, and now even Windows 2008 Server (other than any of the known issues that are already logged or are currently being addressed)

I'm probably in alot different situation than most based on experience and the resources I have at hand. Could end up writing a book why I've made the choice that I really don't need the UAC babysitting for myself. Don't feel threatened at all by "deadbolt on their screendoor disabled"

My Vista box is pretty much dedicated to Aurora along with just a few odds and ends that I might utilize in support of Aurora. I run AV software on all my nodes that the normal home user wouldn't have since my home network is also a test bed for support of a global network of over 500 servers and 10000 workstions and I also beta test for a major AV software vendor.  Not the normal home setup.

I wouldn't disable UAC without weighing the risk.
There's tons of tech articles indicating the pros and cons of disabling UAC.. Everyone has the oppertunity to evaluate the risk and make the choice based upon their own situation.
At least Microsoft gave us the option and freedom to choose.
LightsOnLogan View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2008 at 9:34am
For the record, the 1.0 and 1.0b download links currently both are the same "1.0b" version.  After 1.0b fixed 95% of the "error 339" problems I depreciated 1.0 and replaced it with 1.0b.  It has been this way for 2 weeks or so.  The Vista patch should no longer be necessary, but it will not hurt anything if run over 1.0b either.

The following only applies to error 339: If the current version gives you a 339 error you can try to download the offending file name in the error message directly from Microsoft (don't get it anywhere else though... there are lots of fakes out there).  Do let me know what file name it complained about if it isn't one of the usual suspects (MSCOMM32, MSCOMCTL, MSCOMCT2).

5% of the "error 339" cases still exist on one file or another.  We are working on a "reg-free COM" version of Aurora.  While that doesn't mean a whole lot to non developers, it is actually quite cool... when we get it to work the program will not install any of the offending OCX files -AND- it will not even need to be installed at all (you could copy it to a thumb drive and it would run on any computer you attach the drive to without installation).  This will become the default distribution of Aurora once we get it working.

Edited by LightsOnLogan - 01 Oct 2008 at 9:39am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>