Losing IDs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TheQueb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TheQueb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Losing IDs
    Posted: 04 Dec 2008 at 10:42pm
I posted this reply in a post at d-light but thought I'd put it here too...

First of all, today I added second power cords to each of my two original ACx16s because last year when I built the two silvers, I used jumpers to connect the two sides on each of those original controllers. So I had unit 1 and unit 3 with one power input on each of them for a total of two. Now there's power to each side of those original silver units for a total of four inputs just like on the two platinums I bought this year. I also built a 100amp subpanel and each of the four controllers, eight power inputs in all, have a 15 amp breaker. I broke out the ol' Kill-A-Watt meter and checked each extension cord for the amp load and I confirmed that I am below capacity. I started the show tonight and watched about 5 sequences. No problems. I thought, "WOW!" and left to get some dinner. When I got home, unit 1 and 3 were not responding. I shut dow Borealis and reset the id on both 1 and 3 and started back up. MIRACLE! Worked again... for about two runs through a 12 song show... then unit 3 crapped out. No kicked breaker. they just lose their id's.

Nope, not always the second sequence and not always the same sequence.
Ideas?
80 D-Light-ful Channels
Southeast Texas Lights
D-Light Users
LightChristmas View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote LightChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2008 at 11:53pm
Who made the ISL8487 chip? If its an Intersil, change that sucker out with a TI. Has cured more than few lost ID problems in the past.

Bubba View Drop Down
DMX
DMX

Quote Bubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2008 at 12:39am

Exactly what lightchristmas said the same thing nearly drove me crazy 2 years ago! Even if you have a TI IC19 swap that chip with a known good one and see if the problem follows that chip then you'll know.

www.brightonbrittain.com
Lightupky View Drop Down

Quote Lightupky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2008 at 8:55pm
HAHA i have been fighting the same problem with the first ac16 in my network i compaired it to bouncing my head repeatedly off my desk moved the chip and the next controller had same issues guess ill pass on  buying stock in advil that i was planning on if this kept up.
 Post Reply Post Reply