3 Channel DMX Controller

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
bdkeen View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Online Status: Offline
  Quote bdkeen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3 Channel DMX Controller
    Posted: 25 Mar 2010 at 12:17pm
Hopefully this is the correct place to place this topic.
I've been experimenting with a smallo 3 channel (RGB) DMX controller that's originally intended for LED strip lighting.

I've built up one light so far as my prototype using one of these boards and a RGB LED MR-16 replacement board sold by bigclive.com that illuminates a 6 inch white acrylic globe. The result looks pretty nice (alot nicer than video in real life). Had 4 of these in the display last year with a single green MR-16 LED inside controlled from a D-Light DCx16. The RGB version uses 3 each color superflux LEDs and is brighter than the single MR16 plus gives me the RGB ability. I've done some quick testing with Vixen and am very pleased with the results so far.

I did a quick video on the prototype using the Lynx Dongle and driving the dmx with WinAMP and DMX Control:
ChrisL1976 View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote ChrisL1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2010 at 1:21pm
Is there anything else needed to make this work besides the module here and  the red, blue, and green LEDs ?    Is there a separate DMX controller this module links into?     Can I go from the (Aurora or Lynx) dongle to this boards, to the next and so on?  
Chris

www.lightsonsixth.com
bdkeen View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote bdkeen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2010 at 1:49pm
Chris,
You also need a 12 VDC power source per module. I've tested and plan to provide the 12VDC at the first module and chain it through a RJ45 connection along with the DMX signalling.

The board has DMX in and DMX out.

I'm going directly from the LYNX dongle (Aurora when I can get the dongle and DMX version) to the 3 channel board and chaining the DMX network.

Test using the LYNX dongle with Vixen and WinAMP (using DMX Control as a plugin) have all been successful. Since I'm not a beta tester I'll rely on the little info that's in the forums about Aurora and the upcoming DMX version and suspect that everything should work ok.

The one thing they don't tell you in the description of these boards is that they come set to DMX address 1. Since the address is 'soft strapped' via the DMX interface if you want them on any other address you either need to specify the address when you order them or need to purchase their DMX Address Editor(at the moment I'm stuck with 4 of these all set to address 1).

In the test video this is 1 board starting DMX address 1. I've tried chaing a few together and as expected they all operate together. I'm currently looking into a slightly less expensive place to get both the same boards and the address editor since I may be putting 8 to 12 of these into the display.

If I remember when I build the next one of these I'll takesome photos and try and put together some sort of step-by-step type documentation and post it on my website.

Edited by bdkeen - 25 Mar 2010 at 1:54pm
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote ChrisL1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2010 at 1:56pm
So then if you tell them you want to purchase 4 units numbered 1-4 then you should be ok without the editor?     How much is the editor?      
Chris

www.lightsonsixth.com
bdkeen View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote bdkeen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2010 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by ChrisL1976

So then if you tell them you want to purchase 4 units numbered 1-4 then you should be ok without the editor?     How much is the editor?      

Actually you'd need 4 units with addresses 1, 4, 7, 10 (remember each is 3 channels) then this would give you the 4 rgb lights on the first 12 channels of the DMX universe.

DMX Experts: I'm a complete novice to dmx world but learning  fast so please excuse me while I push buttons to see what happens
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote ChrisL1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2010 at 3:52pm
So them DMX is not like our D-light/LOR world where we have controller # and channel #

DMX is strictly channel 1 through 500 something?

Edited by ChrisL1976 - 25 Mar 2010 at 3:52pm
Chris

www.lightsonsixth.com
deweycooter View Drop Down
Development
Development

Quote deweycooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2010 at 4:07pm
Yessir.  For the Lynx controllers, you set the board to the first channel number - so if you have 3 of them, you'd set the first to 1, 2nd to 17, and 3rd to 33.  All the way up to 512 channels.  Then it's time for another network.  :)

Edited by deweycooter - 25 Mar 2010 at 4:08pm
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote ChrisL1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2010 at 4:19pm
ok, so its just Network/channel  as opposed to  Network/device/channel

I gotcha.  Looking forward to looking into these units for my project.
Chris

www.lightsonsixth.com
bdkeen View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote bdkeen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2010 at 2:13pm
Got 4 more and the Address editor - Here's a test video of 4 of them driving the bigclive MR16 boards inside 6 inch acrylic globes:
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote ChrisL1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2010 at 2:57pm
nice job Bruce!!!
Chris

www.lightsonsixth.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>