Aurora Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Aurora Sequencer Software > Aurora 1.0
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

What to do now? What are you going to do?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Buckeyelights View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Buckeyelights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What to do now? What are you going to do?
    Posted: 13 May 2010 at 12:20pm
In light of the recent announcement concerning Aurora, should I stay with Aurora or consider another software program? I still consider myself a newbie, with only one year of having an animated show.  I found Aurora easy to use, with some very good help from this forum. I'm not currently looking to add DMX elements to our display; although after I hear a presentation at Light Up Ohio this weekend on DMX that could change I guess. I'm a very satisified and happy customer of Aurora and it's functions. I guess I don't understand the implications to me.

If I remain with Aurora will it be like I'm still playing a 8 track tape while everybody else has moved on? Will I be missing out on new features that others will have?

I thought I was done asking dumb questions, guess not Ouch

What are you going to do? Remain w/ Aurora or consider alternatives?

Tks!
Joe

LightChristmas View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote LightChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2010 at 1:43pm
I'm staying with what I know works.

AURORA.

LOR still hasn't come close to matching what Aurora can do.

ChrisL1976 View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote ChrisL1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2010 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by LightChristmas

I'm staying with what I know works.

AURORA.

Same here!!  Aurora has given me two perfect seasons. Having been through a bad one before I got Aurora, I do not want to relive that nor does my wife.  LOL
Chris

www.lightsonsixth.com
JohnnyL View Drop Down
Pre-Order User
Pre-Order User

Quote JohnnyL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2010 at 8:09pm
will the scheduler be fixed?  If he fixes that issue alone i can deal with the other glitches/bugs. Not being able to let the shows run on their own without worrying wether your entertaing the bar crowd through the midnight hours. Half of my channels are combined RGB. not fun to sequence on S2. When is this next/last update?  
"In God We Trust" all others pay cash
Bubba View Drop Down
DMX
DMX

Quote Bubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 11:25am
I'm Sticking with Aurora. I peeked over at the LSP forums and they have tons of glitches and problems to iron out before that product gets close to what Aurora is. I don't like having tons of worthless gadgets and options when basically I want a sequencer. Aurora is still much easier to use and faster.
www.brightonbrittain.com
bdkeen View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote bdkeen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 2:55pm
I too plan to stick with Aurora.. I keep looking at LSP for the the dmx functionality since I'm planning to add dmx. I've been researching Vixen which handles the dmx ok but LOR and D-Light not well at all.

But can't bring myself to buy LSP (I absolutely hated Spectrum) and I simply fell in love with Aurora..  I am a loyal fan!

deweycooter View Drop Down
Development
Development

Quote deweycooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 3:35pm
I still plan to use Aurora with DMX again this season. 
Jonathan View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote Jonathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 11:06pm
The Aurora NDA prevents the beta testers from commenting on what goes on behind the scenes (which is just plain good business sense), so I will not comment on the status of any bug fixes.  I will say, however, that the midnight scheduler issue should not be a deciding factor as to whether anyone stays with Aurora or jumps ship. 

I do know Michael has an incredible amount on his plate and development of Aurora has slowed at what can best be described as, well, an exponential rate, but that is all anyone here knows.  Only Michael knows the true scope of the future of Aurora, and even those in the beta group are anxiously awaiting news.  But for me, if the worst case scenario happened- even if there are no more updates, no Aurora 2.0 in the far future, no DMX, no development at all and what we have now is all we ever have, I'm still going to stay with Aurora and if I do ever leave for another program (which I can't see happening any time soon) it will be with me kicking and screaming all the way.  I'm here for the long haul.

I have no doubt that Michael appreciates the kind words, and who knows, maybe if enough people tell him that their loyalties are still with Aurora, the development pace will increase.
~Jonathan
dowdybrown View Drop Down

Quote dowdybrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2010 at 10:37am
If you love the Aurora sequencer, there is another way to get DMX compatibility and fix the midnight scheduling issue with the CURRENT released version of Aurora.

Step 1) Create your sequences in Aurora

Step 2) Export to LOR format using the exporter I've posted on the boards here

Step 3) Schedule/run your show with xLights.

I've written xLights as open source software. It is C++ so performance is great. It's been tested on Windows AND Linux (Mac support is in the works). It can take your source sequence (LOR or Vixen format) and redirect the output to any combination of LOR/D-Light, DMX, or Renard networks.

The first release of xLights should happen in the next few weeks.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/xlights/

Matt

bdkeen View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote bdkeen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2010 at 8:52am
Originally posted by deweycooter

I still plan to use Aurora with DMX again this season. 
This is exactly what I'd like to do - use Aurora with DMX but seems that if you're not part of the chosen few this is impossible. This is forcing many of us to look at and invest in the alternatives.
I really hate the thought of moving away from Aurora but what options do we have if we'd like to incorporate DMX like some of you have been able to do?  I've being forced to look at and spend money for the alternatives and I'm "kicking and screaming". (and been watching xLights closely too) 
I remain extremly loyal to Aurora - simply love the software - but can't do what I need because I'm not one of the chosen few, hence have been forced to look at the alternatives.  I would much sooner 'buy in' to the Aurora beta and gain the DMX functionality than to have purchased a piece of software that I'm finding extremely difficult to use. It's become rather frustrating.

I fully understand and agree with NDAs but my big question is: How do those of us who want (and need) to use DMX with Aurora get that option?

What choice do we have? Do we just toss the DMX equipment or do we look at the alternatives (as painful as it is) that can provide functionality that some of you were able to have and test last year and apparently plan to use again?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>