It's that time again...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
LightChristmas View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Online Status: Offline
  Quote LightChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2010 at 1:25am
Sandwich the yellow in between the red and purple - looks totally kick*** when they are in shimmer chase mode on a mega. Looks like the tree is molten gold.

LightsOnLogan View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2010 at 1:01pm
I've used purple for several years in a 6 color setup (red, yellow, green, blue, purple, white).  I superstrand them all together without spacing them apart.  Things I've found:

For incandescent purples:

- Never have them on at the same time as red... they'll be hard to tell apart

- Once they fade a little from UV exposure they are easier to tell apart from red.  I suspect that if you put new purples out for an October display (I don't do an October display) then the purples put out in October will be ready to join new reds put out in November.  When possible try to mate year 2 purples with year 1 reds.  Of course if you switched to purple to reduce the blue replacement cost then doing the fading recommendation defeats the point... I can't help you there.

- Mine appear more purple at a distance (~100') than they do up close.  At least the ones I put on the house appear more purple than the ones on the mega tree in the front yard... but that could be due to pigmants my the house siding, so take this with a grain of salt.

- They look more purple when used with blue or white.  When used with yellow a whole other effect happens which, although hard to describe, is quite interesting (and very different than the red/yellow combo which is also good). 

- The purples that were new in 2006 were easier to tell apart from red than the purples I bought in 2009.

The fact is that an incandescent filament contains very little purple light.  If they were to use a more "purpley" coloring then the bulb would be way too dim to be useful.  The reddish purple that is used is a compromise that allows brighter intensity while still appearing somewhat purple.

I have not tried it, but theoretically running red at a 80% to 90% maximum instead of 100% might make red more distinct from purple.  Although the reds would be a little dimmer the filament would proportionally contain less blue light (it is burning cooler) thus allowing the red lights to look more red.  It might just make the difference.  If anyone tries it, let me know if it works.

With purple LEDs:

- These are very distinctly a different color than red

- They also tend to be rather dim

- Some of the older purple LEDs used to react with the sunlight and turn blue (I haven't heard of that problem in a while though)

Overall I like the LED purple color better than the incandescent purple, but LEDs come with their own nightmares too (or maybe I should make that LED vendors).

Edited by LightsOnLogan - 03 Sep 2010 at 1:02pm
BigDPS View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote BigDPS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2010 at 4:21pm
That's what I like about the Christmas Display fan(atics): Always ready to help by giving their ideas. No wonder people think we are a world apart!Clap

Yesterday, my wife and I were making more of the small arches and we had thought, last Christmas, to add purple and green with the 6 other blue arches that we made.

Somehow, it didn't seem right last night when we started. I asked her what she would think instead of putting a completely green or purple arch, since it would make it weird to have only one of each, why not make it so we have an arch with alternating green,purple,green,purple and so on? That way, we'd have 2 that are identical.

Well it didn't take long that we did just that. And talk about 2 contrasting colours!!! It sure looks nice...in the summer. Can't wait to see snow on the ground and see them glow even more on the snow.

Another thing that Christmas displays does to someone:forget about their own rules. Last year when we bought the extra 3000 lights, my wife asked/told me that this should be it for lights. I said I suppose so. She was happy to hear that.

After a hot tub session, she tells me that what would be neat is to have a big sign on top of the house that says Merry Christmas. And to have each letter blink according to the music. Wasn't she the one telling me that this SHOULD be it as far as buying new lights goes?

When I told her what it would take to accomplish this (new controller, extension cords etc0 she kinda paused but didn't really step down from her idea. I guess we'll have to wait for the boxing day specials....

onewish1 View Drop Down

Quote onewish1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2010 at 4:33pm
too funny ... amazing how much stuff we need when we get an idea
BigDPS View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote BigDPS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2010 at 6:34pm
Oh the ideas are no problem whatsoever...it's to find the $$$ to support the idea that is the hardest.

In this weird roller coaster economy, we have to make sure the essentials are covered and then, whatever is left, goes for the display. I'd love to have more $$$ for my display...it would be seen from outer space and the nuclear power plant not far from me would be connected to the display itself! Thumbs%20Up

onewish1 View Drop Down

Quote onewish1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2010 at 7:03pm
I think we all wish for that Tongue
BigDPS View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote BigDPS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2010 at 5:39pm
Well I have 11 songs re-sequenced. I don't think I'll have as much as last year. I tried to keep all my songs under 3 minutes as per a certain site that mentions about attention span of the spectators.
 I guess it does make sense when I think about it. Who would want to sit through 5 minutes of repetitive beats of a song? I'd get bored as well!!!

onewish1 View Drop Down

Quote onewish1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2010 at 7:57pm
sounds good to me
BigDPS View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote BigDPS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 6:01pm
Well we did finally do a Halloween display this year. For a first year, I must say it turned out very nice.

Took most everything down this afternoon but now, we are getting ready to setup for Christmas. My oh my, time sure flies!LOL

BigDPS View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote BigDPS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2011 at 5:42pm
Well part one of my setup is up. Next will be the driveway arches to allow to park 2 cars side by side and then connect the whole thing on the network. That's for next weekend. Already over 20 plus hours of work with 4 people. 3 adults and a rent-a-kid!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>