2010 Aurora Status / DMX beta

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Bigindian View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bigindian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 5:35am
Gentlemen,

In the interest of keeping this friendly, lets just agree to disagree.  We all have our opinions and ideas.  Before this gets out of hand, lets just let it go. 

I agree with both of you and I am sure that many will agree with both of you.  Lets just let it go. 

Please?

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.
Albert Einstein
BigDPS View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote BigDPS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 1:28pm
Sorry BigIndian, but I can't let it go. I have spent too much many as it is to upgrade to DMX. Wife will have my balls on a silver platter. Hate having to hide all knives/scissors every night ever since the word is Aurora is going DMX only.

How come nobody can answer my tiny question "where can we have this beta copy where the copy and paste is fixed?"

If it works and Borealis understands it as it is, you can DMX, BMX, FBI, CIA, IGA or whatever you want with the program. Just don't stick a lollipop in our month long enough for us to like the taste to finally yank it out for no reason.

Is it too much to ask to have the beta copy and tells us, we are on our own? I'd be willing to take a chance rather than be stuck out in nowhere.

Just my 2 cents.

ChrisL1976 View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote ChrisL1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by BigDPS

Sorry BigIndian, but I can't let it go.

BigDPS

I do not believe BigIndian was referring to anyone sharing their opinion.  I am pretty sure it was a response to the difference of opinion between Mr Martin and myself.  Since it seemed Mr Martin got so emotional over someone with a different opinion than his own, he felt the only way to stop me from voicing my opinion was to "respectfully" use pretty bold profanity.  Out of respect for the rest of the community here, I chose just let it go and not respond so the community would not have to exposed to any more vulgar and inappropriate posts from Mr Martin.

I know on other forums, language such like that would result in immediate banning.  Whether any discipline actions result from this is up to Aurora, but I would ask Mr Martin to please in the future, remember this is a public forum where kids could be reading this and I am sure I not the only member who found the use of such language uncalled for and way out of line.

Edited by ChrisL1976 - 15 Jul 2011 at 6:36pm
Chris

www.lightsonsixth.com
JohnnyL View Drop Down
Pre-Order User
Pre-Order User

Quote JohnnyL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 7:36pm

Chris, stay on the high road. You should be applauded for not stepping into the sewer, nor be condemned for your opinion.

John

"In God We Trust" all others pay cash
tonyjmartin View Drop Down

Quote tonyjmartin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by JohnnyL

Chris, stay on the high road. You should be applauded for not stepping into the sewer, nor be condemned for your opinion.

Chris has repeatedly belittled my disagreeing with Aurora's recent decision for many days by taking all sorts of personal pot-shots here and elsewhere (i.e.: claiming that I resented Michael's mother's poor health here, etc.)  I INTENTIONALLY kept the discussion civil on the various forums, but then I let a bleeped word slip in this thread, and Chris is on the high road?  Lovely.

Edited by tonyjmartin - 15 Jul 2011 at 8:58pm
Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ChrisL1976 View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote ChrisL1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 10:30pm
 Comments were made, responses posted. As I said before, I am letting it go.  Other forums have enough drama, we do not need it here.
Chris

www.lightsonsixth.com
JohnnyL View Drop Down
Pre-Order User
Pre-Order User

Quote JohnnyL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 12:06am
ok, Tony attack me if you wish. i could care less. in my opinion you are way out of line.

John
"In God We Trust" all others pay cash
tonyjmartin View Drop Down

Quote tonyjmartin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 6:50am
Originally posted by JohnnyL

ok, Tony attack me if you wish. i could care less. in my opinion you are way out of line.

John

I disagree with your assessment of the situation, but I have certainly not attacked you.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
caretaker View Drop Down

Quote caretaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 10:02am

Ok so I will throw my 2 cents in here...  When I started this hobby I bought D-Light controllers and LOR software and for the first two years my show ran almost flawlessly. Then D-Light decided to introduce there own software "Spectrum" and I jumped on the band wagon and bought it. Needless to say I never had a show run on spectrum and when D-Light announced they were discontinuing Spectrum and offering a discount for Aurora I purchased it and ran my show with it albeit a few minor glitches. Then it was announced Aurora was no longer supporting it's software due to poor sales   I ended up going back to LOR  for my 2009 season.I purchased Light Show Pro and after finding out the learning curve for it was a little steeper than I anticipated and finances became tight I canceled my 2010 show and began doing research.

This hobby is changing by leaps and bounds first with DMX and then RGB and the software is this point is having a hard time keeping up with it. Companies like Animated Lighting and LOR can create hardware products that interface perfectly with there software because there engineers talk back and forth and work out the bugs. When you go the DIY route or D-light you can only hope that the software people can work out the bugs and if there lucky talk to the hardware people for further help.

Ultimately you as the hobbyist have a decision to make: If you want to go with the latest and greatest gadgets you will need software that is able to keep up with them and that may mean you have to wait till that software matures to a stable point. You can decided to bypass the latest and greatest and stick to the trusted and true and wait till all the bugs are worked out of the latest and greatest. Or you can go with a free ware approach like vixen and if it doesn't work your not out any money.

My wife has a $7000 sewing machine and does machine embroidery design. She has one software package that cost her $1800 and is now obsolete because the company stopped supporting it and it will not run and Windows 7. She also has another software package which cost her $2400 and they want her to upgrade to the next version for $1200. Why am I pointing this out? Because niche market software (yes animated lighting software is niche market) does not sell the millions of copies a game program does so the companies sell it at a higher cost to try to recover there expenses.  So as xmas light hobbyists we can either decide we are going to pay a premium price for a piece of software that does what we want it to do OR we can continue to hope other hobbyists like ourselves continue to develop software in there spare time and realize we are getting what we paid for. Does this mean we don't have the right to complain when we are promised something and it is not delivered? No, but put yourself in the shoes of a programmer like the one doing Aurora and say you spent close to 200 hours programming, couple hundred and a website and when you only sell a couple hundred copies of your program you quickly realize it is not going to pay the bills so you work on it when you can and now you have a crowd complaining about this problem and that you try to fix as many bugs as you can but there is still more complaints. At this point you can see how easy it would be to toss in the towel and shut every thing down.

So let's just all behave like adults, wait till the program is ready and if your still unhappy well chalk it up as a bad investment and move on. Either that or think about investing several thousand dollars to pay for the programmers time to get it done they way you want.

Soapbox mode off

Edited by caretaker - 16 Jul 2011 at 5:39pm
Jeff Squires aka Caretaker
http://www.ahazelhurstchristmas.com
MrChristmas2000 View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote MrChristmas2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 10:41am
This has sparked more lively conversation that anything else has for a while.

Right on about this being a hobby.

If you go look at the cost of software for running professional light shows at concerts etc. you would have a heart attack.

No one piece of software out there has everything running perfectly. Some are getting close but still have a ways to go.

The lighting hardware community is outpacing the software by leaps and bounds. It's not DMX that is the problem for them it's the RGB and huge amounts of 'channels' it takes to run the newer devices. Now there is the ability to program down to a single rgb led. If you have just one string with 75 or 100 leds that is 225 to 300 channels just for that string. Then put 16 strands of 75 leds on a Mega Tree and that is 3600 channels alone. You have to have new hardware interfaces alone to handle that channel count not to mention a software package and PC with the horsepower to drive it.

Think of this as building a car from scratch. Even an experienced automobile engineer would require require many more hours than a team of his peers doing the same task.

The reason for the move to the DMX communications protocol vs LOR is that it is simply a lighting industry standard. That let's the hardware community develop new hardware without worrowing about whether it will run with XYZ piece of software. They all talk the same language. Why do you think that LOR and d-light has now come to support that protocol.

The last thing I have to say about development is that when you are a one man band and you get sick or have family problems there is no one else there to beat the drumb. Family comes first and this software development is way down the list at that point.

I will step down from my soapbox now as well.

Tom

Holding breath for DMX.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>