Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Aurora features?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Buckeyelights View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Buckeyelights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aurora features?
    Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 9:22pm
I've been asked to "volunteer", isn't that how it usually goes, to make a short presentation on Aurora.  Where and when is top secret, well not really, and it wouldn't take too much of a guess to figure it out.  But I'll wait until the official announcement is made before I confess. 

Anyhow my point is that I'm still learning Aurora and I'm sure there are lots of features that I'm not aware of and using.  I follow Jonathon's & Chris beginner's how to; beyond that, well I don't venture too far out.  I thrilled with Aurora and don't want my presentation to fall short on Aurora's features.

Any feature that you  can tell me about, please provide me some guidance, advice.

And please keep it simple, as I'll need to understand it (not an easy taskSmile) and then be able to talk about it and hopefully demonstrate it.

Oh and if you want to volunteer in my place ClapClapClap...that'd be wonderful.  Let me know!!!!

TIA!!!
Joe
Jonathan View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote Jonathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2011 at 3:19pm
No bites, yet, huh? Wink

Well, if you're a fan of Aurora Sequencer on facebook, you'll already know that when Aurora v1.1 is released, it will now have portability functionality, which means that you can run the program off of a flash drive on any pc, no "hard" installation needed.  If you are not a fan, consider becoming one, as Micheal occasionally posts tidbits and status updates there:  http://www.facebook.com/aurorasequencer#!/aurorashow

There are also significant improvements to copy / paste, and I'm not just talking about the speed, which will now be almost instantaneous (by comparison) to the current version.  In fact, there are many other exciting changes coming to Aurora v1.1, a free upgrade for those who previously purchased Aurora v1.0 (freeware users will not be eligible for this upgrade but will still be able to use v1.0.69 for as long as they like). 

Insofar as I know, Aurora was the first sequencer to support RGB, and not just for Firefli either.  Any ACx16 or DCx16 controller can become a RGB controller.  (This is popular with LED floodlights.)

While not talked about a lot, the Spectrogram is a feature unique to Aurora.  In my opinion, once you get used to the spectrogram, sequencing becomes so much easier than with amplitude, yet you have the flexibility to switch between Amplitude mode, Spectrogram, and Musical Note (which helps if you are looking to sequence just a drum beat or any other particular sound on the musical scale).

While old news now, When Aurora v1.0.0 was released in 2008, it changed the game with its visualizer, then considered to be the top of the line. 

Aurora has always been ahead of the curve.  One can seamlessly integrate video into their sequences (and even display a static image in between sequences, such as "Tune to: 102.3 FM").  W2E events can be customized to a level that other editors fall short on (IMHO, and yes, I'm biased).

One of the best features about Aurora is that it is simple to use.  I downloaded a trial version of a certain sequencer software to evaluate it, and it installed 11 different programs, most of which I never even opened.  Frustrated, I gave up after 10 minutes.  Aurora has 2 programs.  Aurora Sequencer, and Borealis Scheduler, and the settings from one carry to the other.  I used Spectrum until it reached its end of life, and then Aurora.  I couldn't make heads or tails of the other software out there, and I'm not a newbie.  Aurora is intuitive and easy to use, and it doesn't need high end graphics to impress. 

DMX is the next big thing for our hobby, and when v1.2 is released, Aurora will have DMX capability.  If, during your presentation, you are asked why Aurora is taking so long to support DMX when other sequencers out there already do, the answer is that Aurora has actually supported DMX for two seasons in a beta form.  Unlike some other sequencer programs (which shall remain nameless for obvious reasons), the creator and programmer of Aurora is unwilling to throw some buggy code together just to claim DMX compatibility.  While DMX has been around for decades, it is new to our hobby, and as such, things are constantly changing.  Firmware to run D-Light controllers is just now being developed.  Because of this ever changing dynamic shift, it does entail a later release date.  While it is very much a work in progress, the beta version of DMX is available to those who request it.  In short, Aurora is determined to get it right, no matter what.  While DMX was supposed to be released before last season began, this delay is actually a good thing, because some changes slated for an all new (paid) Aurora v2.0 will instead debut in the (previously paid) v1.0 free upgrade to v1.1 and then the DMX capable v1.2.

Perhaps the best feature about Aurora is us, the users.  We are all here to help each other out when things go wrong.  Good luck with your presentation! Star
~Jonathan
TheQueb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote TheQueb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2011 at 7:43am
Where's the "Like" button?
80 D-Light-ful Channels
Southeast Texas Lights
D-Light Users
bdkeen View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote bdkeen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2011 at 2:52pm

I too not only downloaded the others but even (in my opinion) wasted my $'s on them. Spent a fair amount of time and effort and gave up, standing by Aurora. I look forward to the furure. Thumbs%20Up (closest thing to a 'Like' button I guess)

LightsOnLogan View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2011 at 4:41pm
All of what Jonathan said is good.  I would like to also add regarding W2E that in addition to the settings dialog, if you are in the music note view mode then W2E will render just the amplitude of the selected music note.  In spectrogram or amplitude views W2E acts on the overall amplitude.

I'm also going to let the cat out of the bag on another feature 1.1 will have that the beta testers have been quiet about for a couple years now.  When used in D2XX mode, version 1.1 will have the ability to send commands across Ethernet to the dongles on one or more other PCs running Aurora.  Also, when used in D2XX mode, multiple copies of Aurora will be able to access the serial networks simultaneously (one copy of Aurora will not "block" another from being able to access the ports).

Although it will not be included with the initial 1.1 release, we already have a "hardware utility via Ethernet" that we use during testing which can command channels on a live Aurora network while the show is still running.  We are planning on polishing this up some and releasing it as a free "add on" download in the future.

Michael

Quote Buckeyelights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 7:54am
Jonathon,

Ohio is a pretty cool place to visit, want to "volunteer"?  Wink

Thanks for the replies, those are all great comments.  Many of them I would have overlooked mentioning, but I'll be sure to include them.

Tks!!!!!
Joe
BigDPS View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote BigDPS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 3:03pm
So Michael, if I understand it right, if I have my main computer hooked to the USB dongle that links it to the boxes in the yard, walking around in the yard with my laptop, I can access everything as if I had my laptop connected to my USB dongle?

LightsOnLogan View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 3:21pm
Yes.
BigDPS View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote BigDPS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2011 at 6:57pm
Cool. Thumbs%20Up
Now I will really look important in the yard! Before, I had to be tethered to a very small leash.... 

Quote Buckeyelights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2011 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by BigDPS

Cool. Thumbs%20Up
Now I will really look important in the yard! Before, I had to be tethered to a very small leash.... 

Nah, the neighbor will just think you installed an Invisible Fence; so you don't need the leash.  LOLLOLLOL  Just kidding....that will be a really cool feature. 

My method was to run back and forth, from the display into the garage; make a couple changes run back out and see the changes.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>