Are ya ready?!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
LightChristmas View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Online Status: Offline
  Quote LightChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are ya ready?!
    Posted: 12 Sep 2011 at 12:17pm
For a gooood time?Wink

It's that time! Get your transmitters out and tuned for the new season. PC is streaming their audio again, so now would be a great time to make certain all is up to snuff.

Reason I mention this, is that for this area at least, some stations have jumped around a bit, so the freq I was using last year is being used by a licensed station this year. This gave me enough time to get the signs changed.

BigDPS View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote BigDPS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2011 at 7:08pm
I just had my sign redone today and printed on backlit material. 56$ later, this is the second sign that I had to do in 3 years. I checked in my area to see (hear) if there were any stations on the one I picked and there was nothing , not even a flutter.
We are about to set up the Halloween display (first time for us) and finding lights for that holiday is like finding a needle in a haystack.

Go figure: Most stores in my area have started taking their Christmas stuff out but I couldn't find orange lights for the longest time. I found some this week but not the outdoor type. All indoor.

As for Christmas, we have been making 2 feet balls with 5 strings of 70 LED lights to put up on 10 feet 5/8 re-bar pole as a "suspended" lighted garland. 8 poles total and 11 feet apart with  70 lights suspended in a loop between them. Lots of work. We are adding 5000+ lights this year so to answer your question, yeah we are getting ready.

While looking for orange LED lights, I didn't find any but I did find Pink LED lights....not sure what I'll do with that color but I'm sure I'll find a way to do something with it....Wink

BigDPS View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote BigDPS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2011 at 4:29pm
Well I found out something at my own expense. I found that an air nail gun , when the nail hits a knot in the wood and that it swerves, it won't stop for nothing. Although my finger was well out of the way or so I thought, it came out exactly where the joint of my index finger was.
It entered with so much ease that it baffled me. Didn't hurt at the time until I pulled it out. Boy was it sore. The nail entered about 1/2 inch and pushed cartilage or something to the other side of the finger. It looked like something had bitten me like a mosquito bump but a hole on the other side. Talk about slowing down the work.

It's better  now but somehow, I can't bend my finger without hurting and no I won't go to the hospital. Too many sick people in there. ;)

Jonathan View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote Jonathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2011 at 4:48pm
I once had a nail gun double fire on me, and since it was a large professional grade nail gun, it really had some power.  The nail actually bounced off our driveway and ended up in our neighbor's driveway across the sreet!  Thankfully no one was hurt, but I really learned to respect my tools (more than I already did) after that. 

Unless you've had a tetanus shot recently, you really should see a doctor.  It doesn't need to be an emergency room visit, your primary care doctor can help you just as well. 
~Jonathan
deweycooter View Drop Down
Development
Development

Quote deweycooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2011 at 5:50pm
Agree on the tetanus. Also, the doc might give you some antibiotics to help fight off any infection. Better safe than sorry, and better than losing a finger over the deal.
BigDPS View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote BigDPS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2011 at 6:45pm
I had a shot a few years back and if I recall, it is good for 10 years. Of all the powertools I have, this is the one that I had the most respect for but now, I'm just deadly afraid of it. I almost close my eyes when I fire a nail away. It is a Dewalt nail gun so it is built tough!

Edited by BigDPS - 13 Oct 2011 at 4:35pm

Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote LightChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2011 at 10:07pm
Legs are SORE from crabbing around on the roof this morning getting lights put out. Ran out of blue lights about halfway. Guess its time to break out the Krylon paint and rejuvenate the rejects.Ouch

deweycooter View Drop Down
Development
Development

Quote deweycooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2011 at 12:17pm
LC - you putting out lights because it's not cold yet, or because you have to start now to get finished in time?
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote LightChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2011 at 6:33pm
Yes. To BOTH!LOL  Am taking two weeks vacation in early November just to get it all done. Sucks having to be a one-man-band when it comes to this. Have 8 more minis to weld, 9 arches to re-wrap, one more megatree to finish welding, countless strings to airbrush (so they are actually BLUE), and THEN hope all the programming doesn't need any radical tweaking.

Will be so glad when I can chuck the incandescents and go 2801 on the majority of stuff.

Serenity, NOW!!!!LOL

Edited by LightChristmas - 13 Oct 2011 at 6:39pm

BigDPS View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote BigDPS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2011 at 2:21pm
Every time I do something for our yard, I always ask my wife "Why are doing this exactly?"

I mean it is one heck of a job to build, arrange, organize, sort, remove from storage, find storage place and so on. It's a years work for only 30 some days of light show. However, amidst all that, it is time spent with my wife creating something that is enjoyed by kids alike.
As I type this, I am refreshing/fixing sequences for the newly added 5000 lights. Only less that 44 days before it gets turned on and 30 days before we set it up or at least start setting it up.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>