Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

special lights?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
xxkasperxx View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote xxkasperxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: special lights?
    Posted: 20 Oct 2011 at 8:28pm
Is there a certain brand of lights that you KNOW will work with intenisty changes, and ramps and all of that? I know that some lights flicker when changing, and i need to know where i can get some LED lights that ramp without flickering
LightChristmas View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote LightChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2011 at 8:02am
I can tell you what LEDs NOT to buy. The Martha Stewart brand at Home Depot. These will flicker even at 90% intensity and the fade is not consistent between strings.

Jonathan View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote Jonathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2011 at 8:59am
I've had good luck with the GE strands at Lowes.  It's not so much the brand that matters (although it does from a quality control standpoint), the key is that you MUST use full wave strands.  Half wave is ok for static displays (and if you don't care about giving people headaches), but you get what you pay for.  
~Jonathan

Quote xxkasperxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2011 at 6:11pm
im gonna go buy some LED's tonight or tomrrow at home depot, how do i know what ones to buy? i am going to be plugging in ONE strand PER channel. (I need them to be good at ramps and fast intensity changes)

Please help, thank you!

If this question seems like the one i asked first, i am sorry. I dont wnna go drop 100-200$ on lights and find out they dont work good :)

Quote xxkasperxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2011 at 6:16pm
lowes*
BigDPS View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote BigDPS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2011 at 6:56pm
One very important tip I can give you: All my lights are led, all 20000 of them. LED being diodes, will either work good or die early. I burn tested them all for 24 hours at a time. In that lot, I have 10 strings of 70 lights that showed their weakness. Nothing worse than a set that goes bad in the middle of a show with the whole peanut gallery watching. Bugs the heck out o f you!!!!

Edited by BigDPS - 21 Oct 2011 at 6:57pm

Quote xxkasperxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2011 at 7:13pm
Sorry, new to all the "words" of this hobby. What does it mean to burn test?
LightChristmas View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote LightChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2011 at 8:58am
Run 'em for 24+ hours on a looped sequence before putting into use. "Burn in" has more than one meaning when it comes to LEDs as some here can attest.

Quote xxkasperxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2011 at 10:27am
okay, thanks for the quick reply! One question. I orderd my LOR controller the other day, so i have no way to test but at walmart i got 3 boxes of LED net lights for $2 discount, Regular 7$ (Holiday Time) Does anyone know if they work good with ramping and intensity changes?
 Post Reply Post Reply