Forum LockedScroll bars?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
bdkeen View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Online Status: Offline
  Quote bdkeen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scroll bars?
    Posted: 02 Apr 2008 at 7:26pm
I'm not complaining at all - I've gotten very comfortable with using the cursor keys to scroll up, down side to side.. But ever think of the normal Windows scroll bars? Guess I'm so accustom to using them that I find my mouse hunting for them once in a while.. Then duh - it hits me - no scroll bars.
I am impressed with the 0.3.0 build!

Have seen that if I change playback resolution the new resolution (when going smaller) is there but so is part of the old larger view. Exiting and re-entering Aurora clears it all up and the residual larger view is gone.

I've tried most of the things that gave me problems in .2 and so far everything's fixed. havent tried adding channels to an existing sequence (at 80 now but preparing for 112). In .2 it sometimes worked but oftem gave me GDI errors and crashed - will have to try it in .3

Only had 1 instance when .3 just simply disappeared - I changed the .mp3 file on an existing sequence and Aurora just disappeared from screen nonce it was all dome with Spectrum work and backbuffering - poof it was gone. Tried it again and everything worked fine si it was more likely something stupid that I may have done.
LightsOnLogan View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2008 at 8:47pm
While there is no technical reason that scrollbars couldn't be put in place, they do take up screen real estate.  Aurora tries to make as much of the area available to the editor as possible by keeping the toolbar on the left, dropping the scroll bars, not using a status at the bottom of the screen, etc.  The result is that the average person can fit 40 to 50 channels on the screen comfortably (and those with large monitors can comfortable edit 80 at a time).  It was actually painful to have to enlarge the audio view by 20 pixels to make room for the newer views.

Scrollbars also require that the user move the mouse down, drag the scroll bar, then move the mouse up... which is less efficient than keeping the mouse in place closer to the middle of the work area and using the arrow keys.  Of course scroll wheel mice make this a debatable point, but few have a horizontal wheel on their mouse (the most commonly used axis in Aurora) so exactly how valid the debate is also is a point of debate.  Maybe it will be a selectable option in a future version for those who just can't live without it.

bdkeen View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote bdkeen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2008 at 6:14am

I figured it was most likely screen real estate and it is nice having as much as one can get. Just figured I'd ask the question.

Post Reply Post Reply