Open DMX question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
breakbenj View Drop Down
Pre-Order User
Pre-Order User

Online Status: Offline
  Quote breakbenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Open DMX question
    Posted: 02 Dec 2011 at 10:15am
I don't have any firm plans to use DMX in the future but would like to keep up to date just in case I decide to so if I changed my controllers firmware and updted Aurora would it still play My existing sequences like it always has or will I have to start over?
Jeff

LightsOnLogan View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2011 at 10:34am
There are two answers to this question depending on if you are intending to do this today or next season.

If switching to DMX next season:
Your sequences will play as they always have.  There will be some file format conversion done the first time you open the sequence in the new version.

If switching today:
You will need to run your sequences through a "transmogrifier" to convert them to a DMX capable format before scheduling them.  Then they will run as they always have (all FX convert properly).  You have to deal with two files, one that you keep to edit and the other which is the DMX output one.

Michael
LightsOnLogan View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2011 at 10:37am
BTW- I highly recommend the firmware transition for everyone for the next season.  The OpenDMX firmware is far more reliable and this is what Aurora is standardizing on (the reliability of DMX) for the future.

Michael
breakbenj View Drop Down
Pre-Order User
Pre-Order User

Quote breakbenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2011 at 11:39am
Thank You for the quick response, My show is up and running with no issues so I will wait till next year to convert. I assume You will be posting info and a download link for the stable version sometime next year so I will keep checking in.
Jeff

breakbenj View Drop Down
Pre-Order User
Pre-Order User

Quote breakbenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2011 at 11:44am
By the way, I'm still using 1.0.41. Should I be using a newer version of Aurora?
Jeff

Post Reply Post Reply