Developer Journal 4/30/8

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
LightsOnLogan View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
  Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Developer Journal 4/30/8
    Posted: 30 Apr 2008 at 8:37am

The release date for Aurora 1.0 has been moved from May 15 to May 30.  While it is still theoretically possible that Aurora could be completed by May 15 (May 22 is more realistic), we want to release a quality product and not a rushed product.  That means additional time for beta testing and bug fixes.  This also moves the 1.1 (DMX support) release to June 30.

The coming month will see two additional public releases prior to 1.0.  The first release (0.4) will be an intermediate beta containing the new commands (shimmer ramp, etc.).  The next public beta will be the "Release Candidate", which will come about one week prior to the release of 1.0. 

For those not familiar with software development terminology, a "release candidate" is a mostly bug free version that contains everything the final release wil contain.  The purpose of the release candidate is find any bugs that were missed during beta testing.  The public reported bugs from the release candidate are then fixed and then the final release comes out.
Comporder1 View Drop Down
DMX
DMX

Quote Comporder1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2008 at 8:23pm
So I guess tomorrow is the big day! Huh?
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2008 at 11:48am
Just dropped in to make a post about this, but since you asked here I'll just add it to this thread...

1.0 is not yet ready for release.  We have all of the features in place but are still working on some bug fixes.  1.0 is delayed to June 6.
Slinkard View Drop Down
DMX
DMX

Quote Slinkard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2008 at 8:20pm
Right on, so I log on to find out if I can start to program(really I logged on to see if d-light had any june sales anyone heard anything???) and baaammmmmm GOOD TIMES in 1 day! rock on, are you still on schedule?

I was also wondering if I could update the email address that you send annoucements too? I may have had it set up to go to my last jobs address, and would like to change it.

Pm me if I can.

Thank again
Slink

Coming soon www.computerizedlights.com
Slinkard View Drop Down
DMX
DMX

Quote Slinkard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2008 at 8:21pm
OH yeah and sorry that was a total thread jack.....

Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2008 at 9:52am
Still behind schedule...

The slowdown is mostly with the drawing tools.  We've added several (icicle, circle, star, snowflake, leaping arch, curtain strobe, move, resize, individual drawing element delete, and background picture brightness).  Some of these have caused unexpected problems and others have revealed existing problems that had previously gone unnoticed.  The beta testers have done a great job at uncovering these new and unexpected issues.  To add to the fun, I've been sick for a couple days so productivity has been less than expected (isn't the timing wonderful).

I'm not going to set a date this time as the dates seem to get me in trouble... but it is really close.  There should be a public release candidate (0.9) by the early to middle of next week.  As already mentioned, all features are present... it's just the bugs being worked out now.

Edited by LightsOnLogan - 06 Jun 2008 at 10:36am
breakbenj View Drop Down
Pre-Order User
Pre-Order User

Quote breakbenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2008 at 9:12pm

Wow! I did not know you were going to add the new stuff. I say take your time. I'm sure it will be great!

Jeff

Slinkard View Drop Down
DMX
DMX

Quote Slinkard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2008 at 10:59pm
how we doing? Just bought 2 more d-light gold edition boards and looking forward to doing some sequencing(dude that is a total lie! the looking forward part.)  Any closer? Also I changed my email address on the forums to my "New" home address, but the email address that I ordered the software with is no longer valid. Where or who do I talk to about changing it??? I want to be able to get the email that says "Download NOW!!!!"

Well I think thats all I have to ramble on about... Thanks and keep up all the hard work to you and all your beta testers.

Slink

Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2008 at 1:17pm
I'll edit your info in the customer database.  Thanks.

Unfortunately we've hit some data corruption issues that are proving to be a challange to track down.  Major things like this are not supposed to happen just before a product release, but since it has we're doing our best to deal with it.  It is better that we ran into these issues now than after release!

Once these issues are tracked down I'll be able to provide a new date for the release.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2008 at 8:23am
No new release date yet...

The portion of code giving us trouble was originally written in a rather rushed fashion to meet last December's deadlines for 0.2.0.  It was originally intended to be temporary "stand in" code for 0.2.  As these things happen, it worked well at the time so replacing it was bumped from the schedule during 0.3 development and deferred until a future unscheduled version 2.  As a result it was not written properly to be well maintainable and has since received several "band-aids" to keep it working.  This is my own personal fault as I made each of these decisions and wrote the original code.

Unfortunately, the recent results of the beta testers are making it abundantly clear that that this area of code keeps coming up as the culprit for a wide variety of problems.  This has resulted in a large number of "11th hour delays" this past month. 

The result: we're doing the right thing for our customers... the section of poorly written code is being rewritten/replaced with a properly written one to ensure that we deliver a quality product that can be quickly supported. 

In the rumor category: It has not been committed to yet, but a side effect of all of this may allow us to proceed with the SDK (or a portion thereof) for third party plugins and utilities sooner than originally planned.  It will not be part of 1.0, but it may appear sooner in the schedule than it currently is. 

Oh wait... most of you don't know about the SDK yet.... hmmm.
 Post Reply Post Reply