Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Antivirus Quarantine Aurora

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ibewill View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ibewill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Antivirus Quarantine Aurora
    Posted: 30 Oct 2012 at 3:30pm
Hello everyone,

I have been dealing with an issue and finally decided to ask about it. My Norton antivirus keeps wanting to quarantine Aurora. When Aurora Sequencer is open it runs fine, but if I close it and try to open it again Aurora cannot find the root find to open from, because Norton is stopping it. I go to the original download file and run it and repair it and after that it will open as normal. Just wondered if this is common and a possible fix. This is my first year with Dlight and Aurora and I have stolen one of the two family computers. I guess I need to get another one for next year dedicated to the Christmas Display with no Norton on it. I do not know if any other antivirus thinks Aurora is malicious.
Jonathan View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote Jonathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2012 at 4:34pm
Generally speaking, your best bet is to set up exemptions in whatever virus program you use for Aurora. 

Because this can be cumbersome and procedures on how to do this vary by program, many of us simply disable or uninstall our virus programs completely during the season because of the false positives that sometimes sequester "mission critical" portions of the program.  It's not just Norton, AVG and McAfee are also tempermental with Aurora (among others, I'm sure). 

KillCom.exe, for example, is sometimes mislabled as a trojan when in fact, all it does is reset the COM port. 

A word of caution, though.  Even though virus programs can at times be a pain for what we do, there is a reason they exist in the first place.  If anyone decides to disable/uninstall their antivirus program, be smart about it.  Don't go surfing the net on that machine except to trusted sites (like this forum) and store sensitive files on a different machine.  When the show is not running, enable the software. 
~Jonathan
ibewill View Drop Down

Quote ibewill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2012 at 9:10pm
Thanks for the info. So this is a common problem. Yes, I will tell the antivirus that Aurora is OK and to stop trying and asking me to quarantine or delete it. Thanks for your help. 
 Post Reply Post Reply