Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Sequence changing on its own

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ibewill View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ibewill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sequence changing on its own
    Posted: 03 Nov 2012 at 8:58pm
During testing of my display I found that somw of the sequencing is changing on its own. I have some parts that should shimmer, but it would be a regular ramp. This would happen after I closed the program, then open it back up and load the sequence it would be different. I would fix it and save, but if I close Aurora and reload it would change again. It looks as if something is changing in all my sequences. Someone please help me.  
Jonathan View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote Jonathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2012 at 4:20pm
Let's first start with the basics.  What version of Aurora are you using?  What protocol are you running, D-Light/LOR or DMX?

You are creating the sequence with a shimmer command.  When the sequence is played back in Borealis (Scheduler), it appears as a ramp.  When the sequence is opened again the command shows up as a ramp instead of a shimmer, no matter how many times you correct it, save, and reopen the file, is this correct?
~Jonathan
ibewill View Drop Down

Quote ibewill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2012 at 7:51pm
YES! That's it exactly.

I would fix it, then save. If I close then open back up it would be wrong again.

I am running current Aurora. No DMX or LOR. D-Light is what I am using. Version 1.0, Build 90?

LightsOnLogan View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2012 at 8:20pm
Is the channel configured for the correct device type for your controller? For example, if you have an ACx16 with current firmware, did you select ACx16 1.13+?
ibewill View Drop Down

Quote ibewill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2012 at 11:48am
OK, That is possible. I will check that ASAP this eve.
Jonathan View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote Jonathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2012 at 12:40pm

Use the Info tool (keyboard shortcut 'N') and click on one of the shimmer effects that is being changed.  It will bring up the same dialog box that right clicking on the effect in the toolbar does for any programmed effect.  Does the Ramp dialog box come up, or the Shimmer dialog box?  (The dialog boxes will look similar; the shimmer will have a Random Shimmer Rate box that can be checked and the ramp will not.)

~Jonathan
LightsOnLogan View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2012 at 1:15pm
Let me know if the device type fixes it for you.

Back in 2008 the "shimmer ramp" combo command was just becoming available on D-Light and LOR hardware.  Aurora still supports both the new and old device types, but for the old device types (which didn't support the new commands) those commands are remapped into something that the device supports.  This remapping takes place during the sequence compilation.  I suspect that if you select a device type that matches your newer hardware then the remapping will stop.

Michael
ibewill View Drop Down

Quote ibewill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2012 at 3:07am
I checked and did everything you guys said. The channel configuration is correct, not using 1.13. Using the info tool it shows the right thing when it is fixed and when it is wrong.

To give more information, I did not make the sequences completely from scratch on that song. Maybe where I got it from could be an issue. I think I used a song from the FileSwappers. I havent run the show from the scheduler yet to know if it will run from there incorrect. I assumed it would run incorrect. There is another song that gets all messed up when it is opened, but it isnt changing the ramp and shimmer. Its extending some ramps and moving around Itensity command. In other words, it would make a small ramp real long and make the Intensity command disappear or move somewhere else. This is all happening on different channels.

Thanks! 
Jonathan View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote Jonathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2012 at 10:01am
Shared sequences can sometimes contain errors.  Often times a shared sequence started life as a LOR sequence that was converted into an Aurora compatible sequence.  Also, if the audio used is different from the original, the sequence can behave in unexpected ways.  Sometimes the original sequence may be say, 4 minutes long, but was later edited to a 2 minute version of the song.  The remaining 2 minutes of the sequence are cut off in the sequencer, but the data remains.  This has been known to cause issues as well.

One way to test for this is to creat a new sequence from scratch.  If the events remain as they were progammed, it is likely the origin of the sequence itself that is the issue.  If the events change inthe new sequence, it may be the audio file itself.

If you are using a mp3 file, use a .wav file instead.  In fact, all your sequences should be a .wav file, even though Aurora can handle mp3's.  This is because mp3 encoders are all different and some do a better job that others.  It is recommended to only use 16 bit .wav (or .avi for video) files as that's what Aurora converts your media into anyway.
~Jonathan
 Post Reply Post Reply