Shifting Sound Channel to match sequence

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MrChristmas2000 View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Online Status: Offline
  Quote MrChristmas2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shifting Sound Channel to match sequence
    Posted: 07 May 2008 at 9:11pm
I loaded a sequence that didn't have music with it and loaded my .wav file of the associated song. Is there anyway to adjust the sound to match up with the sequence pattern?

Tom

LightsOnLogan View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2008 at 10:13pm
No, there isn't a way... but that is not a bad idea.  I will look into it for a future release, however, depending on the source audio file, it may or may not entirely fix your issue. 

If the source audio was from an MP3 then the only way to make it truly line up is to have the same audio file.  This is because MP3 encoding does not precisely preserve a song's timing (some parts will run ever so slightly fast while others will run ever so slightly slow).  The deviation is not perceptable to the listener, but if you play a raw WAV file simultaneously with an MP3 encoding of the same file then you will audibly hear the timing drift around.  The same applies to an MP3 encoded at one bitrate versus an MP3 encoded at a different bitrate.   This is an unfortunate effect of the music files themselves that affects sequence sharing (it isn't exclusive to Aurora).

WAV to WAV will of course not have this timing distortion (unless one of the WAV files was a conversion from a different lossy format).  Thus, WAV files would benefit from the suggested audio offset.  

Ideally the audio could be embedded into the dls file... but then it would be illegal to share a sequence and the RIAA would be all over every Aurora user really fast!
MrChristmas2000 View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote MrChristmas2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2008 at 5:53am
Thanks for the Info.

Yes the RIAA is a real friendly group aren't they.

Though it would be nice to have that in bedding option for personal use only.

I was using a WAV file. The only other possibility, although a big hassle would be to edit the WAV file and add in a start delay into the front end until it matched up with the sequence. Being able to either delete/insert a column of time on the front end of all channels would also be a solution as well. It would also be good to be able to delete a block of time in the midst of a timing sequence as well.

Tom
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2008 at 5:53pm
I've added this to the feature request list to be addressed in a future version
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2008 at 8:57am

0.7 addresses this issue with the "Timing Shift" option under the edit menu.

Post Reply Post Reply