Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Confused

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ned_alap View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ned_alap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Confused
    Posted: 29 Jul 2008 at 12:29am
Playing with Beta Release 4 (first time looking at the software) has me very confused. I have tried multiple times to import LOR sequences and get an error every time. I guess I will need to read all the forum posts to see if this is a known issue with the Beta.

So I decided to try creating a new sequence from scratch. I love the Spectrogram feature. I finally have figured out how to add channels to the left side of the screen - but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to add segments.

Is there any kind of tapper mode or auto fill segment feature or is it all manual add? Not sure what I am missing here.

Next question, when playing back (using the Wizards demo included) I see you can either view the house or the sequence. Why not both? Can't the house be pulled out seperate as a window so I can watch the house and the graph at the same time? Or at least be able to see the bar traveling behind the house picture so that I know where in the song I am viewing?

I own LOR, Spectrum and now Aurora. I have been sequencing with LOR coming up on 3 years. I do not use Spectrum after buying it because of the issues it had and the learning curve at the time to learn it. I had high hopes for Aurora based on all the rumors I heard about it - but for my first attempt this evening this interface is very confusing.

Is there any tutorials available?

Thanks
Roger

(Aurora Newb)
Bubba View Drop Down
DMX
DMX

Quote Bubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2008 at 4:37am
Using the selector tool (Y with and empty box) right click and click split cells. If you choose 100 ms it will break it down to 1/2 seconds and if you type in 50ms it will break it up into 1/10th of a second. Also the tool that looks like an arrow with a clock will put a new event where ever. I mostly choose to just use the 50ms for the whole thing.
Bubba View Drop Down
DMX
DMX

Quote Bubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2008 at 4:40am
Also if you where trying to import LOR II item I don't think they are supported by Aurora just yet. I personally find I can sequence about 2 X's faster with Aurora. After you learn the tricks and shortcut keys it becomes really fast.
LightsOnLogan View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2008 at 9:02am

Timeline markers are manual placement only...

Although you can do a fixed time grid with "split cells" as described, it does limit the flexibility of Aurora.  Instead I recommend the manual method... first find the beats on the spectrogram and create the beat marker.  Once you have the beats down you can create animations between them with the "split cells" feature.  Lastly you can fill in any other parts where desired.

While I could make Aurora automatically place the beat markers it would more than likely end up being more trouble than it is worth.... it is a lot easier to place timeline points where you need them than to go around deleting all of the automatic ones you do not want.  Ears and eyes are far more reliable than any auto-detection algorithm.

Since there is a paradigm shift and we have several new users on board it may be time to review how the event place tool works:

Left click where no timeline mark exists: places new timeline marker

Left click and drag existing timeline marker (can be done when arrows show with the clock): moves timeline marker... all attached events auto-adjust to the new position (great for roughing in and fine tuning later)

Right click while arrows appear: Deletes timeline marker... events adjust accordingly

Edited by LightsOnLogan - 29 Jul 2008 at 9:03am
LightChristmas View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote LightChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2008 at 9:20am
Welcome aboard, Roger!
Originally posted by ned_alap

Playing with Beta Release 4 (first time looking at the software) has me very confused. I have tried multiple times to import LOR sequences and get an error every time. I guess I will need to read all the forum posts to see if this is a known issue with the Beta.

There are some LOR1 sequences that will not import. This is mostly due to the way Aurora handles the import. If there is a Ch0/Net0/Cont0 anywhere in the file, Aurora will have fits with it. Its a simple(?) fix of just editing the offending lines with LOR and re-saving the file.

So I decided to try creating a new sequence from scratch. I love the Spectrogram feature. I finally have figured out how to add channels to the left side of the screen - but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to add segments.

In the control panel, you'll see a little "clock". Selecting this will allow you to set intervals - aka segments - by left clicking on the workspace to drop a line. Right clicking on an interval will remove it, and click/drag will reposition it.

Is there any kind of tapper mode or auto fill segment feature or is it all manual add? Not sure what I am missing here.

This is tricky to explain, but the Spectrogram handles the "tapper" function. By selecting the frequency of the "beat" (click on the Spectrogram box in the upper RH corner and select Musical Note. Then select the frequency range you want. The lower the number in Hz the deeper the note, so you'll normally select 33hz. The screen will update at this point, and the only thing displayed in the audio box will be only that specific frequency range. So in theory you have an instant tapper displayed in the Audio display.

Next question, when playing back (using the Wizards demo included) I see you can either view the house or the sequence. Why not both? Can't the house be pulled out seperate as a window so I can watch the house and the graph at the same time? Or at least be able to see the bar traveling behind the house picture so that I know where in the song I am viewing?

I'm certain they are other reasons, but IMO its to keep you from having to upgrade your hardware to a CRAY 3 in order to get anything done.

I own LOR, Spectrum and now Aurora. I have been sequencing with LOR coming up on 3 years. I do not use Spectrum after buying it because of the issues it had and the learning curve at the time to learn it. I had high hopes for Aurora based on all the rumors I heard about it - but for my first attempt this evening this interface is very confusing.

It will be to a degree. The user interface is tricky to learn initially, but as you play with it, you'll begin to realize that its very simple to use.

A rudimentary one is available at: http://www.deweycooter.com/wiki/index.php/Aurora

Edited by LightChristmas - 29 Jul 2008 at 9:24am

Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2008 at 9:33am
Originally posted by LightChristmas

Welcome aboard, Roger!

There are some LOR1 sequences that will not import. This is mostly due to the way Aurora handles the import. If there is a Ch0/Net0/Cont0 anywhere in the file, Aurora will have fits with it. Its a simple(?) fix of just editing the offending lines with LOR and re-saving the file.

LC.. thanks for this detail.  I probably missed it over in the beta test forum but if this is just a 0/0/0 issue I'm certain we can fix the LOR import functionality in Aurora.  In the meantime your workaround is a good suggestion.

LOR2 import will be coming soon (there is no reason we can't other than I simply have not written it yet).

It will be to a degree. The user interface is tricky to learn initially, but as you play with it, you'll begin to realize that its very simple to use.

A rudimentary one is available at: http://www.deweycooter.com/wiki/index.php/Aurora

Yes, adding the "help" file into Aurora has been on my list and long overdue for a while now.

LightChristmas View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote LightChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2008 at 10:44am
Mentioned it awhile back, but with all the alligators we've had...

Also LOR1 imports will occasionally choke if there are redundant channel name tags. Sequence will still import, but will omit large chunks of effects. And there are some, for no discernable reason, absolutley refuse to import. Will email those if you want an example.

While Aurora's channel editing system is idiot-resistant, it may be a bit too much. Any way it can ignore duplicate channel name tags, and just check for duplicate addressing? 

Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2008 at 12:28pm
It's like that for more of a usability reason than any technical reason (the name is not a key).  Duplicate names could get confusing in drawing mode... if you name 15 things "House" then it is hard to tell which channel you are drawing lights for. 

Regarding LOR import, I'll simply fix this by appending a number in parenthesis to the name when there are duplicates (e.g. House (1), House (2), etc.).

Thanks for the LOR sequence email.  I'll run it through and see what Aurora is complaining about.
TheQueb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote TheQueb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2008 at 11:54am
Originally posted by LightsOnLogan

Timeline markers are manual placement only...

While I could make Aurora automatically place the beat markers it would more than likely end up being more trouble than it is worth.... it is a lot easier to place timeline points where you need them than to go around deleting all of the automatic ones you do not want.  Ears and eyes are far more reliable than any auto-detection algorithm.

Is this still true? I was just wondering if the auto-placement on the beat markers is something that ended up being added?

Edited by TheQueb - 10 Nov 2008 at 7:35pm
80 D-Light-ful Channels
Southeast Texas Lights
D-Light Users
 Post Reply Post Reply