Forum Locked.50 Is Resource Hungry.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Bubba View Drop Down
DMX
DMX

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: .50 Is Resource Hungry.
    Posted: 31 Jul 2008 at 9:33am
On both my work and Home PC .5 has been slow and sluggish. It constantly bumps up errors and wants to shut down. I uninstalled .5 and reinstalled .4 and everything went back to normal and runs fantastic. Also with .5 I've noticed that the PF usage goes through the roof and the CPU % nearly maxs out. I don't have this with Ver .40 .
peteandvanessa View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote peteandvanessa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008 at 10:47am
0.5 is a little heavier on system resources, but I never see it climb above about 50% CPU utilization (mines a Laptop Intel Centrino DUO T7200 @2GHz , 2G RAM  on XP)

The only time it bogs down a bit is when I import from D-Light, otherwise it's just fine.

There are some bugs that are being worked on to fix some errors, that should be out pretty soon.
LightsOnLogan View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008 at 10:55am
I'll look into it.  We had a memory leak with the clipboard at one point in  0.5 development that I thought was fixed... it might have snuck back in there.
MrChristmas2000 View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote MrChristmas2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008 at 2:11pm
I have seen the same heavy CPU usage. I just ran a test using the test sequence provided with the install. While just running and not playing the CPU utilization is on par with other programs.

However, when I start the playing function the CPU usage jumps to 90 - 100%.

Tom

Holding breath for DMX.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008 at 3:10pm
Playback will show heavy CPU usage... this is not abnormal. 

Right now for maximum playback timing accuracy Aurora takes what is available... if another program wants the CPU then Aurora will happily yield it.  At some point I will tweak this so it is not as aggressive and selfish about the CPU when it doesn't need to be (e.g. yield cycles when it is known that there are no timing events upcoming for several mS).

Memory and page file usage with 0.5 is abnormal however.  There is a memory management glitch that I'm working on fixing right now which will resolve this and several other reported issues. 
Bubba View Drop Down
DMX
DMX

Quote Bubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008 at 4:42pm
Yeah I was really only concerned with the massive PF use which was causing the stops and errors. .4 worked great so in the interim I dropped back from .5 . I did notice though that when I dropped back everything I drew with ver .5 was moved around and messed up.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2008 at 6:12pm
For those who haven't upgraded to 0.5... I would recommend remaining with 0.4 until these issues are resolved for 0.6.  I don't anticipate it will take very long... so hang in there.

For those who want to downgrade, you will need to do an uninstall from add/remove programs before reinstalling 0.4.  Your sequences will remain intact, but you may have problems viewing any of the circle based drawing elements made in 0.5.  0.4 does not recognize the new data fields (such as radius, aspect, arcstart, arcend) added for support of these objects in 0.5.  The results may be truly bizarre so it is recommended that (if 0.5 will let you without crashing) you remove these objects from your sequence before downgrading to 0.4. 

For those with demo discs from TCL who do not have access to 0.4, please be patient... we will be publishing a 0.6 release very soon (within the next week).

For the technical types: What we have going on are some bad memory pointers in the code which are allowing data to overrun one data table and into another whenever the data being written happens to reside on a data page boundary.  Most of the time this results in simple data corruption when one table overruns into another but occasionally the page boundary is adjacent to another thread which results in an instant crash of the application (in the old days these were common causes of the General Protection Fault messages).

Unfortunately, due to the nature of this problem, 0.5 looked good when I gave it to the beta testers and didn't start acting up until after the release emails went out.
 Post Reply Post Reply