Aurora Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Vault > 0.7 Pre-Release (Release Candidate 2)
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedInstallation problems

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Fred S View Drop Down
Pre-Order User
Pre-Order User

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Fred S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Installation problems
    Posted: 08 Aug 2008 at 10:04am

I am having trouble with the installation of the latet Aurorua on my laptop. The first time I try to run the program I get the following message. (And yes I rebooted the computer after installing)

Aurora encountered unexpected error and will now reset.
339: Component "MSCOMM32.OCX" or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid
WAVspy Resize
Main

I have gotton the same message when trying to install 0.5, 0.6 and 0.6.2. The laptop is a HP running Vista Home Premium.  I have installed the program on my home desktop without a problem. The desktop is running Vista Home Premium(64)

I did a search and the mscomm32.ocx file is in the windows system directory.

Any help pointing me in the right direction will be greatly appreciated.

LightsOnLogan View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2008 at 10:45am
I have listed as dependancies for mscomm32: oleaut32.dll and comcat.dll. 

I don't usually see problems with mscomm32 as it is one of the older and more stable Windows files (amazingly, on XP it is still the same version from 1998).  Vista gets the file from the installer as it is no longer a preinstalled Windows system file.  It is possible that another program has replaced MSCOMM32 with an incorrect version or your PC has minor registry corruption.  What is the date/time/version of your mscomm32 (right click on it then choose properties)?

What should fix this:
0. Uninstall Aurora
1. In Windows, click Start, then Run
2. Type (without the quotes) "regsvr32 /u c:\windows\system32\mscomm32.ocx" then hit enter
3. Make a note of whether or not you got an "Unregister successful" message
4. Delete the mscomm32.ocx file from c:\windows\system32
5. Reinstall Aurora

This will force Vista to reinstall mscomm32 from the install package.

Edited by LightsOnLogan - 08 Aug 2008 at 10:51am
Fred S View Drop Down
Pre-Order User
Pre-Order User

Quote Fred S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2008 at 1:40pm
I followed your suggestions.

The unregister command indicated that it succeded.

It still does not want to start after reinstall and reboot. I keep getting the same error message.

The mscomm32.dll file information:  Version 6.0.81.69,  April 03, 2000,  5:52PM

Edited by Fred S - 08 Aug 2008 at 1:43pm
Fred S View Drop Down
Pre-Order User
Pre-Order User

Quote Fred S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2008 at 10:17pm
Still having problem. Any other thoughts or suggestions?
LightChristmas View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote LightChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2008 at 11:52pm
Something to try.

Click the Windows button (lower left icon), and in the search window, type "CMD".  At the top of the search box, a command prompt icon will appear. Right click on this and select "Run as Administrator". At this point repeat the procedure listed in the earlier post.

After deregistering, do a regular uninstall via Contol Panel, then manually delete the Aurora directory in the Program Files directory. Reboot and then reinstall latest version Aurora.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2008 at 11:11am
The version number "6.0.81.69" is correct, however the date doesn't look correct.  I'm still trying to figure out what might be going on here.  My best guess at this point is that some other piece of software has installed an incompatible system file.  It does surprise me that mscomm32 is involved since is is one of the more stable Windows files.

Just on the off chance that something is missing from the installer that used to be there, if what LC suggested doesn't work, you could repeat his instructions but install an older version of Aurora first (e.g. 0.4 or 0.5) and then perform an upgrade install to the latest version.
Fred S View Drop Down
Pre-Order User
Pre-Order User

Quote Fred S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2008 at 1:57pm

I am still having the installation problem. I followed the directions and uninstalled everything then reinstalled the latest version 0.7, rebooted and received same error message.

Repeated the unistall steps, rebooted, reinstalled version 0.5, rebooted. The program ran without error. Installed update to 0.7, rebooted, error message returned.

Any other ideas, or suggestions?
JonB256 View Drop Down
DMX
DMX

Quote JonB256 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2008 at 6:05am
Fred, it isn't just you. I'm having the same problem with my Vista Ultimate. Version 0.5 works, 0.7 doesn't. (Haven't tried 0.6)

JonB
JonB - D-Light user
LightChristmas View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote LightChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2008 at 9:15am
Will haul out a junk computer tonight and do a clean install of Vista on it. Will see if its Vista or if something else is causing the problem.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2008 at 12:23pm

Thanks LC...  let me know if you come up with a specific file that Aurora is complaining about. 

For those who say 0.5 works but 0.7 doesn't, please test 0.6.4 and 0.6.0 and let me know what you get.  This appears to be the result of something other than the error message (which strangely mentions a COM related error coming from the waveform viewer.... two unrelated parts of Aurora which do not directly talk to each other at all).

As I just posted in another thread I've been very sick for 3 days now so progress on issues like this one have been a bit slow.  Thank you for your patience.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>