Aurora Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Vault > 0.7 Pre-Release (Release Candidate 2)
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedInstallation problems

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
LightChristmas View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Online Status: Offline
  Quote LightChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2008 at 12:31pm
Before I get started tonight; those of you with Vista machines - do you have a login (multi-user) setup, part of a domain, etc.?

LightsOnLogan View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2008 at 12:35pm
...moving this thread to the 0.7 forum since it is still an issue in 0.7.
crichter View Drop Down
DMX
DMX

Quote crichter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2008 at 1:03pm
I have .7 installed on my vista laptop (Dell Precision M4300, Core2Duo T7300 2.0GHz, 2.0GB RAM, Nvidia Quatro FX 360M, Vista Ultimate 32-bit)  This is my work laptop and is part of a domain, however I am the only user and admin on the machine.  I did not have any problems installing .7.
Curt
Fred S View Drop Down
Pre-Order User
Pre-Order User

Quote Fred S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2008 at 4:21pm
The Laptop is an HP with Vista Home Preimum. It is not part of a domain, no login/password required.

I have tried all versions .5 up to .7.  Version .5 is the only version that I can get to run. All newer versions have the same error message.
JonB256 View Drop Down
DMX
DMX

Quote JonB256 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2008 at 5:42pm
Now I can't get the 0.5 version to run.

I am running a non-domain but multi-user Vista Ultimate 32-bit version on a quad-core Phenom.  I always get the MSCOMM32.OCX error now, regardless of Aurora version, even the newest 0.7.1 posted today.

My XP Pro 32-bit has no problems. It is my "production" computer, anyway. The Phenom is my "play" computer.

Should I disable Anti-Virus or anything else before install?

I haven't tried manually registering the OCX file. If I do, should I un-register it first?

JonB
JonB - D-Light user
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote LightChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2008 at 5:58pm
Alt this point, anything is worth a try, Jon. While I have no proof - just a hinky feeling - that there is some 3rd paty application causing the problem. Finally home now, so will throw a computer together after dinner and get Vista installed on it without any firewalls or virus scanners, Java, etc., then start the tedious process of uninstalling Aurora, reboot, add some 3rd party widgets, reinstall Aurora, rinse, and repeat.

JonB256 View Drop Down
DMX
DMX

Quote JonB256 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2008 at 6:09pm
Here's what I tried:

I unregistered mscomm32.ocx (regsrv32 /u mscomm32.ocx)

Tried Aurora 0.7.1 and got a similar but different message about comdlg32.ocx

I unregistered comdlg32.ocx (regsrv32 /u comdlg32.ocx)

Now, I get a message about changing Aurora to use Direct Show !!!

Aurora starts!  It opened an older sequence!!

but when I close it, I get an "problem" message from Windows. (Aurora has stopped working) but it appears harmless.

So, what were those two OCX files supposed to do and what have I killed???

JonB

Edited by JonB256 - 27 Aug 2008 at 6:12pm
JonB - D-Light user
JonB256 View Drop Down
DMX
DMX

Quote JonB256 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2008 at 6:32pm
Just to complete the loop, I re-registered both mscomm32.ocx nd comdlg32.ocx.

I don't get the error message when Aurora starts (without problem). I'll actually try controlling something later.

It must has something to do with the MSDXM settings in the Playback Settings. Once I got it changed to DirectShow, everything seems fine.

Is that something your installation routine can "pre-set" for Vista?
JonB - D-Light user
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote LightChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2008 at 8:11pm
The deal with MSCOMM32 is it tries to be many things. Primarily its a Visual Basic communications intepreter, but its also used for ActiveX routines - some of which are less than friendly to MSCOMM by altering it.

You cannot use MSDXM in Vista - it doesn't exist and is totally ignored by Vista (if you'e nutty enough to copy it over from XP like I did!:D ). This is why Vista users MUST use DirectShow.

Offhand, I'd say you've licked the problem, and gives me some ideas to try tonight.

The error on exit is a known problem and will be fixed, but its more of a cosmetic issue which doesn't affect normal operation - so its low on the to-do list.

Edited by LightChristmas - 27 Aug 2008 at 8:13pm

Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote LightChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2008 at 9:00pm
Update

Just finished installing Vista Home Basic (SP1) without any add-ons. Auroa installs/runs with no probs. Uninstalled Aurora and installed all the MS updates, enabled native firewall, and installed AVG anti-virus. Aurora was reinstalled/run/uninstalled without any problems Then went to one of those "freeware/abandonware" sites, and waddaya know? It wanted to install an ActiveX plugin. Had nothing to lose so allowed the install of the plugin. Rebooted machine and tried installing Aurora. KEEERASH. Thank you, move along, nothing to see here.

Only copy of Vista Ultimate I have is from back when I was beta testing it. We'll see what happens.Ouch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>