Users guide

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
webbtech View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote webbtech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Users guide
    Posted: 19 Aug 2008 at 7:54am
Can anyone provide a link or other means of  a users guide, what each button does etc....I couldnt find it on wiki.

Thanks

Mark
Mark Webb
LightChristmas View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote LightChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2008 at 10:58am
The wiki hasn't been updated for quite some time as the creator (Dewey Cooter) is away on a long job.

Michael's wife is busily pounding away on a manual as we speak, but cannot say for certain when it will be released.

In the meantime, your best bet is to just ask here - a pain for now, I know.

LightsOnLogan View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2008 at 11:36am
Yes... I make a much better programmer than a technical writer (case in point, my book long FAQ on the grid that could probably be reduced to 2 short paragraphs by a good writer). 

Fortunately I married someone who can understand my alien language and translate it into simple concise English.  The help manual has turned out to be a large project in itself because Aurora has so many features to document.

In a couple days I should have some more information regarding the help file and an official release date for 1.0.
webbtech View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote webbtech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2008 at 8:05pm
ok dumb question time then...how do I build a sequence run and save it, I need several 12 channel runs to use and re use. Not just copy and paste but a way to hold onto that run and insert it when I need it.

What does the Y box mean? its uses...
What does the clock and arrow box used for?
What is the  W sound wave do?
What does the grabber do?

I imported a spectrum file and want to add 32 more channels, do I need to add controllers or just add channels?

its a start...Sorry to be a pain in the arse. Spent 2 years with spectrum and I am kinda used to that.

Mark

Mark Webb
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote LightChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2008 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by webbtech

ok dumb question time then...how do I build a sequence run and save it, I need several 12 channel runs to use and re use. Not just copy and paste but a way to hold onto that run and insert it when I need it.

You can import your channel list from a previously saved sequence by clicking on: FILE and selecting IMPORT and clicking on "Import Channels From File" - this being a sequence containing the channel allocations you want.

What does the Y box mean? its uses...
What does the clock and arrow box used for?
What is the  W sound wave do?
What does the grabber do?
The "Y" box allow you to select an entire section of a sequence for cutting/pasting.
The "Clock" box is used for adding interval lines. A left click will drop an interval on the time line and a right click on it will delete an interval. Under Spectum, this is done automatically (1/10, 1/50, etc) at the sacrifice of unnecessary intervals which increase CPU loading.
The "W" is a real zinger! This is the Waveform To Event tool (W2E). This will intepret the waveform(s) in the Spectrogram and convert it into an event (lights will change intensity in proportion to the audio amplitude/

The Grabber will allow you take any effect in the sequence and "clone" it.

I imported a spectrum file and want to add 32 more channels, do I need to add controllers or just add channels? 

In Aurora, there are no controllers to add. Only channels. This allows for a higher degree of customization, rather then being locked into one mode of layout. If you're adding more than 32 channels, I'd recommend firing up Spectrum, creating the channel/controller list with it, then importing that into Aurora.
 its a start...Sorry to be a pain in the arse. Spent 2 years with spectrum and I am kinda used to that.

LOL Hardly a pain! Never be afraid to ask questions here, no matter how "stupid" you may think they are! The only "stupid" question in my book is the one that goes unasked!

webbtech View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote webbtech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2008 at 10:49pm
Ok good start then, I had already imported a spectrum file and added the needed channels. I quess then the 2nd and 3rd set of 16 each should be on a different device id?
So hardware utility starts at 2 for first controller of 16, then should I use device 3 for 2nd controller and 4th for the 3rd?

I like the wave length idea, (color organ stuff) I suggested it for spectrum.

See Im not a christmas guy, I do Halloween. That color organ idea should work great for haunted house sounds...

Lucky me...Im 3 blocks from Marty Stack! Christmast Utah,  how can anyone compete with that guy so close!

Mark
Mark Webb
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote LightChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2008 at 7:18am
Originally posted by webbtech

Ok good start then, I had already imported a spectrum file and added the needed channels. I quess then the 2nd and 3rd set of 16 each should be on a different device id?
So hardware utility starts at 2 for first controller of 16, then should I use device 3 for 2nd controller and 4th for the 3rd?Lucky me...Im 3 blocks from Marty Stack! Christmast Utah,  how can anyone compete with that guy so close!

Don't confuse the D-Light HW Utility (in the Add-Ins tab) with any Aurora functions - that is there to just make life easier with the initial setup of a display. For adding controllers, you'll want to use the Add Channel function and make the appropiate changes to the Device ID and Channel Number there, you can later use the Bulk Channel Editor to make any global changes you might need. But yes, each controller needs a different Device ID.  Aurora won't let you enter duplicate addresses, so no worries there. You should be able to scroll up on the Device ID tab to see/use #1. The Network Segment should be left at 1 unless you are using more than one RS422 adapter.

webbtech View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote webbtech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2008 at 4:27pm
OK we are getting somewhere, next question, Same imported some has some really tight event lines, any way to spead the program side to side so I can add events?

Pointing is a real challenge if you dont hit dead on.  Tough to tell where it might land, even with practive its seems a struggle to aim between an H and the shimmer icon.

Mark
Mark Webb
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote LightChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2008 at 4:52pm
Page Up/Page Down will expand/contract the time line so you can view the really tight spots.

webbtech View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote webbtech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2008 at 10:18pm
Update...things are going very well, like you said in another post, once you have the new system embeded in your head, things do seem to come faster and faster. I want to thank everyone for the imput I have recieved and at the speed of the answers. Also, I want to thank who ever came up with the importing of the channels, build one sequence and you can add it to another with out building it again and again, right there that  paid for the software in time saved not building your channel line up each and every time.  The keyboard shortcuts are saving my wrist too, I had surgery on it, but it still hurts like the dickens. If anyone has had similar issues with standard mice, you may want to check out 3M s joystick mouse. Well worth the money and puts your wrist in a much more comfortable position.  Thanking you in advance for my next brain cramp!

Mark
Mark Webb
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>