Aurora Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Aurora Sequencer Software > Aurora 1.0 > Feature Requests
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

RDS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
JohnnyL View Drop Down
Pre-Order User
Pre-Order User

Online Status: Offline
  Quote JohnnyL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RDS
    Posted: 25 Aug 2008 at 1:08am
do you have any plans support RDS?
LightChristmas View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote LightChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2008 at 10:23am
Remote Data Services?

Might be me being short-sighted, but why?

JohnnyL View Drop Down
Pre-Order User
Pre-Order User

Quote JohnnyL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2008 at 6:48pm
well, its a pretty cool toy and LOR II will support it eventually, hopefully this year so i dont think its going to far to inquire about Aurora's future goodies...
LightsOnLogan View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2008 at 3:00pm
I was still scratching my head trying to figure out why someone wanted to connect to a SQL database with the depreciated RDS... that is the programmer in me.  It just now dawned on me that this post might be referring to "RBDS" (Radio Broadcast Data System). 

If so, what transmitter were you planning on using that supports the 57kHz subcarrier and what interface does it have for reciving the data to transmit (this is not just a matter of the info simply being embedded in the audio signal)?

Edited by LightsOnLogan - 29 Aug 2008 at 3:00pm
JohnnyL View Drop Down
Pre-Order User
Pre-Order User

Quote JohnnyL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2008 at 3:10pm
 http://pira.cz/rds/show.asp?art=minirds_encoder    ive got one these gizmos and would like to use it this season
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2008 at 3:22pm
Have you tested this with your transmitter?  IIRC, mono FM has a pilot tone at 19kHz and stereo FM adds a L-R difference signal at 38kHz.  In order to prevent the incoming audio signal from interfering with these signals (added by the transmitter) a low pass below 19kHz is typically applied to the incoming audio.  In other words... a device like this is not compatible with every transmitter out there. 

The release notes show this device being introduced at after the audio is multiplexed (19kHz low pass already applied and 38kHz subcarrier already created)... do you know how to find this line and modify your transmitter accordingly?  (This device is not just plug and play into your typical Ramsey/Belkin box... hardware modification will be required to tap the MPX signal).  I believe we have a broadcast engineer in our midst that can correct anything I might have messed up... it has been a while since I studied RF from an EET perspective.

It is an interesting concept and I will make a note of it, but this is not on the project plan at this point in time.

Edited by LightsOnLogan - 29 Aug 2008 at 3:29pm
MrChristmas2000 View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote MrChristmas2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2008 at 3:24pm
That's the one I have as well. There was recently a mass purchase of these on one of the DIY boards.

Holding breath for DMX.
JohnnyL View Drop Down
Pre-Order User
Pre-Order User

Quote JohnnyL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2008 at 3:32pm
theres a guy on LOR forums http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/forum81/16468.html that adapted the same unit to his Ramsey 25b. i also have 25b so it should work...
JohnnyL View Drop Down
Pre-Order User
Pre-Order User

Quote JohnnyL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2008 at 3:34pm
yes the group buy @ DIY thats where i bought mine
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2008 at 4:14pm

RBDS will not be part of Aurora for this season but we should be able to add it for next year.  There are still bigger fish to fry for this year (like Firefly RGB and also DMX). 

I've read that some people are actually holding their breath for DMX!  Shine a flood at MrChristmas2000 and you'll even see "color changing".
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>