WHAT THE.........???!!!!???!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Slinkard View Drop Down
DMX
DMX

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Slinkard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2008 at 11:19pm
Real quick,

I think the key did not come around til version .5 I think?? that is when I got mine anyways.

Slink

Coming soon www.computerizedlights.com
beavis View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote beavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2008 at 1:06am
One feature I actually used in Spectrum, that I'm not sure everyone did, was tap mode.  Seemed like the easiest way to lay out a preliminary grid on a song.  Maybe it's just the old drummer part of me coming out.

Is there anything like that?

Or maybe Beat Detection helps out with that?  Not sure how it works.
Tony Furst View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote Tony Furst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2008 at 4:10am
You're exactly right about beat detection and how it works.  If you look at the audio view along the very top of the screen you will see little gray marks every so often those marks are the major beats of the song.  Drop your event timing marks at each one and you're golden.

Tony
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup
LightsOnLogan View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2008 at 9:56am
We need a tutorial on how to read the spectrogram.  The beat detection works to an extent (the algorithm picks up a few extras and drops a few sometimes), but once you know how to read the spectrogram everything becomes very clear.

In general, lower on the spectrogram is bass, higher is treble.  Colors from blue-cyan-green-yellow-red are from low to high in volume respectively. 

A song with a heavy bass rhythm will show red blobs near the bottom of the spectrogram. 

My best recommendation is to load up some of your favorite songs and learn what the display is telling you.  You can also toggle over to the "classic" amplitude view or just a certain music note with the "A" key.
LightChristmas View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote LightChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2008 at 10:09am
Nobody else will say it.LOL

Use Wizards in Winter - it has a wide range of frequencies and is repetitive.

Will go ahead and do a video tutorial tonight and get a link posted.

Edited by LightChristmas - 03 Sep 2008 at 10:12am

tonyjmartin View Drop Down

Quote tonyjmartin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2008 at 10:23am
Originally posted by LightChristmas

Will go ahead and do a video tutorial tonight and get a link posted.
That would be very much appreciated!

Originally posted by LightChristmas

Nobody else will say it.LOL
Use Wizards in Winter - it has a wide range of frequencies and is repetitive.
Hey, this ain't PC or CC!  I love WIW, and I don't care who knows it!

(insert the sound of any respect that anyone has ever had for me hitting the ground.....)

Edited by tonyjmartin - 03 Sep 2008 at 10:25am
Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
LightsOnLogan View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2008 at 11:55am
WIW is a good one to familiarize yourself with the Spectrogram for the rock sound. 

Another one I like to use to show off how much more you see with the spectrogram versus the classic display is TSO's "Faith Noel".  Faith Noel is so highly compressed that the classic amplitude display looks like a flat topped plateau... but in the Spectrogram all becomes very clear.

You might also want to load up some stuff with vocals so you can see what voices look like compared to the rest of the music.
Tony Furst View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote Tony Furst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2008 at 7:41pm
Michael,
I kinda forgot all of that stuff I've just gotten so use to knowing what I'm looking for, now if I can just sit down long enough to finish my darn sequences.

Tony
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123