Aurora Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Aurora Sequencer Software > Aurora 1.0 > Installation Issues
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Not starting on the right foot (MSCOMCTL.OCX)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Slinkard View Drop Down
DMX
DMX

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Slinkard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2008 at 10:19pm

you are new, I was too couple years ago. These are very small companies, we are a very small niche market that only a few companies even deal with. I know the microsofts and cisco the autosending is no problem. Reminds me of power windows???

Remember that used to be one heck of an option to add to a car. but then it became just a common feature...................Now it is expected!!!

We are the proud, the very few, thinking of our christmas lights in September!

All will be right in the morning give it a chance.

Slink

Coming soon www.computerizedlights.com
dan003400 View Drop Down

Quote dan003400 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2008 at 10:40pm
im not new this is my third year...
Slinkard View Drop Down
DMX
DMX

Quote Slinkard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2008 at 11:27pm
you have been using Aurora for 3 years?

I didn't mean it in a bad way, but after reading it I can see how it could have been easily taken that way.  I meant more "New" to Aurora the application. These problems that you are having are 1 off's. When the smart cats on the east coast wake up and have a cup of coffee they will solve them quickly.

Slink

bc_34sa View Drop Down
DMX
DMX

Quote bc_34sa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2008 at 6:22am
I am able to get the sequencer going, but my problem is with scheduler. It opens fine but when I try to do anything I get an error

339: component mscomct2.ocx or one of its dependencies not correctly registered a file is missing or invalid. aurora scheduler.newschedule.0
 Then shuts down...

I am running Windows xp media center pentium 4 with 1 GB ram I am not a computer expert so I am sure I am just missing something simple.  but I have tried the steps listed before, and still cant get going....
 any suggestions.
Pony_God View Drop Down

Quote Pony_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2008 at 8:17am
Wow... I missed this thread last night. (Fell alseep early)
I think that everyone needs to take a deep breath first of all.
Second of all, Aurora is a new product that's been on the market for 36 hours now.
Every install of XP is differnt, most PCs all have differnt hardware. It's hard to write something that works across every install/hardware set/user setup. Give them a chance, alright?

The problem with Vista 64, isn't that Aurora is a bad product, it's that it's a 32 bit product, for a 32 bit platform. I'll bet that it doesn't work on the Mac either. Vista 64 does add a lot of hardware options and is a fully 64 bit OS, but there is very little software out there that will be happy to run on it. That's why until the software that we use is stable in 64bit, we're staying in 32 bit land. Now, is there an option for some sort of compatibility more for 32bit applications? I don't really know, as I don't have Vista 64.
Fine. You're so smart you rig up the lights.
D-Light users Unite!
Pony_God View Drop Down

Quote Pony_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2008 at 8:21am
As for adding 64 channels one by one. Yea. I'll admit that sucked. BUT, did you happen to go into the Wish list thread that I started? That's was in my first post.
What I did was I just sat down and added my 64 channels one by one, then saved it and called it channel_base so that I have a single file with the basic config.

I'd be happy to send that _base file to you if you'd like. (64 channels, ID 10,11,12,13 -- D-Light ACx16s 1.13 F/W)
Fine. You're so smart you rig up the lights.
D-Light users Unite!
bc_34sa View Drop Down
DMX
DMX

Quote bc_34sa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2008 at 8:52am

Pony_god,

I understand every install is different, thats why I asked for help... I am not trying to attack the creators of aurora, I am just trying to get it to work properly. 

I have taken many of deep breaths since the whole spectrum announcement.  I was just asking for help to get this going so I can give aurora a chance... and like I said I am sure it has something to do with me not the program...

Edited by bc_34sa - 03 Sep 2008 at 9:00am
tonyjmartin View Drop Down

Quote tonyjmartin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2008 at 9:21am
Originally posted by bc_34sa

I understand every install is different, thats why I asked for help... I am not trying to attack the creators of aurora, I am just trying to get it to work properly.

I don't think that he was referring to you specifically, per se, but to the overall tone of the posts in this thread.

That said, I wish you all had been "a fly on the wall" when the Vista and/or 64-bit issues first reared their ugly heads with LOR1 and LOR2(beta) earlier this year.  It wasn't pretty then either.  On the bright side, these issues are not fatal.  As Pony_God mentioned, there are many different versions of the OS out there, and each computer vendor often tweaks the OS for their specific system (bios, chipset, etc.)  I'm not a computer geek, but I think you get the idea.  It will take a little bit of time to fix these OS quirks, starting with the most common for everyone, and eventually moving on to the rarer events.

I posted the following this morning over at the D-Light Forums, but I'll post it here again, as it may prove helpful:

After bumbling around for a while, I began to realize just how much I had become accustomed to using a "glitchy" program (Spectrum). All the old headaches started to fade into memory, and I was actually able to work without feeling apprehensive about what might go wrong next.

And by "work" I don't mean that I started sequencing. Far from it. I fiddled around with every function that caught my eye, making lots of test sequences, importing LOR/Spectrum files, importing configurations, trying the "Undo" function over & over, experimenting with many different pictures of our house, saving & re-opening, loading various music formats, loading various video formats, experimenting with starting/stopping/selecting via the timeline, trying the "Waveform to Event" function, etc., etc., etc., etc., etc. The absolute worst thing you can do with any new audio-visual program is to sit down and expect to be able to create your show the first time you use it. For myself, I like to get so familiar with it that I can work fast when I'm ready, and I don't have to think about learning...I can focus on doing.

But hey, that's just me.

Smile

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
LightsOnLogan View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2008 at 9:38am
Wow, what can I say... it was a busy night here after hours!

The problem is not with Aurora or 64-bit or anything else... the problem is with the installer.  Those not in the software business might not know this, but we only write the software and use a third party product (in this case Microsoft Visual Studio Installer) to generate the installer for us.  Aurora depends on certain files to be present and "registered" on your computer in order to run.  It is the job of the installer to make sure all of this takes place.  Well, the installer isn't doing this correctly on certain Vista installations.

So, we are troubleshooting why the installer isn't doing this properly.

Now, regarding the specific problems from last night.... help us out y'all... "it just keeps crashing" doesn't tell us a whole lot.  It expresses your frustration well (got the message clearly), but it doesn't result in a fix for anything.  What is your specific error message?  I'm going to guess that it is a 339 error but with something other than MSCOMCTL.OCX or MSCOMM32.OCX.  If so, we can reissue the patch to quickly get you going, but only after we know what file your computer is complaining about.

Also, we could use some help.  Since not all Vista installations are having installer issues, we need to figure out what combination of system settings are resulting in a bad install.  Quickly answering some questions would help us greatly:

1. What "flavor" (home, business, etc.) of Vista is this?

2. Do you have UAC enabled or have you disabled it?

3. Do you have multiple users set up on the computer or is this a single user computer?

4. Are you part of an NT domain (if you don't know just skip this question)?

Hopefully we'll see a pattern start to emerge that will help us identify why the installer isn't properly registering Aurora's dependancies.

Edited by LightsOnLogan - 03 Sep 2008 at 9:39am
Slinkard View Drop Down
DMX
DMX

Quote Slinkard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2008 at 10:36am
Pony

This is my second year using this product. D-light dumped spectrum 36 hours ago, Aurora has been around for about a year and a half.

Slink

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>