Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Cache Folder (esp. video)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
tonyjmartin View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote tonyjmartin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cache Folder (esp. video)
    Posted: 04 Sep 2008 at 4:23pm
From another thread that I started to steal:

......my clarification is in [brackets]

Originally posted by LightsOnLogan

Yes, the raw video format [placed in the cache] is very large... unfortunately this was necessary for some futrure features we have planned for down the road (such as showing scene change markers on the sequencer timeline).  Fortunately hard drives are very cheap these days compared to most of the hardware that goes into a display.

I'm planning on using video extensively.  Is there a way to have the Cache folder reside on another drive, rather than the system drive?  I can see things getting full pretty fast at about 1GB per minute of video. Shocked
Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
LightsOnLogan View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2008 at 5:47pm

At this time the cache folder has to be on the same drive as the application (but this does not have to be the system drive).  It is possible to install Aurora into somewhere other than Program Files (e.g. D:\Aurora would result in the Cache folder being D:\Aurora\Cache).  I've noted that in the future we probably should make the cache folder location configurable.

Quote tonyjmartin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2008 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by LightsOnLogan

It is possible to install Aurora into somewhere other than Program Files (e.g. D:\Aurora would result in the Cache folder being D:\Aurora\Cache).

That's excellent news, as I have only an 80GB system drive, but I have a second 160GB internal drive with two 80GB partitions.

Next question: Should I uninstall Aurora from the C:drive and reinstall it on one of the available partitions on another drive, or can I just move the Aurora Folder from C:\Program_Files to another drive?  I'm guessing that I shouldn't do that latter, but it never hurts to ask. Big%20smile

Thanks for your help!
Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
LightsOnLogan View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2008 at 6:32pm
You will need to uninstall and then reinstall. 
Pony_God View Drop Down

Quote Pony_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2008 at 6:57pm
What OS do you have?
You _could_ mount a "dynamic" drive as a folder...
Know what I'm talking about?
Fine. You're so smart you rig up the lights.
D-Light users Unite!

Quote tonyjmartin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2008 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by Pony_God

What OS do you have

Dell Dimension 8300, XP Home, P4 2.6GHz, 1.25GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX440/AGP8X 64MB
80GB/160GB Ultra ATA drives

You _could_ mount a "dynamic" drive as a folder...
Know what I'm talking about?

Not a clue. Confused  But the idea is to put the cache folder somewhere besides the system drive, as a dozen videos encoded in uncompressed RGB at 3-4 minutes long each would add up to 36-48GB of space needed on my system drive. Shocked
Pony_God View Drop Down

Quote Pony_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2008 at 9:58pm
In XP and Vista you can take a dive (D:, E:, ect...) and assign the "drive" to a directory, the "drive" then takes the directorys place. I've done it many times to give me space for temp/cache before. Move everything from the cache folder, to your spare drive, then mount the drive to the directory.

Try it out.

Start -> right click Computer -> manage -> Disk Manage -> Right change drive and paths
Fine. You're so smart you rig up the lights.
D-Light users Unite!

Quote tonyjmartin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2008 at 12:53am

Try it out.

Start -> right click Computer -> manage -> Disk Manage -> Right change drive and paths

Interesting workaround.  I made my way through the path you described, and it looks like this could be a useful option in the future for other folders as well.  I'll have to give it a try before I do an uninstall/reinstall of Aurora.

Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply