Aurora installed, but crashes when opening

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Jonathan View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Jonathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aurora installed, but crashes when opening
    Posted: 07 Sep 2008 at 1:03pm
Hello everyone! 

Ok, in my case, Aurora installed properly, but I am having several major issues. 

1)  The sequencer cannot seem to load any audio file except an mp3 (more on that in a sec).  When opening a wav file, I get the Windows Error message a few other folks have gotten.  (You know, the one where you get to choose whether to submit a bug report to Microsoft or not.)  Error code is:

AppName: aurora_sequencer.exe     AppVer: 1.0.0.0     ModName: iviaudio.ax
ModVer: 4.0.11.30     Offset: 0000c96d

The program then simply exits. 

2)  Ok, so I tried ignoring wav's and using mp3's, which was the only way I could get Spectrum to run too.  The problem here is that the songs play at an extremely fast rate.  This is the case for both imported Spectrum sequences, as well as new ones.  The sequences themselves import just fine, just the audio is weird.  Using Audicity I was able to verify all my songs are 44.1 hz and 16 bit rate.

3)  Scheduler simply crashes upon opening.  (See image).

http://picasaweb.google.com/JDalquist/Misc?authkey=liRAJMnmwA8#5243340308749911074

My system:

Windows XP Home on a Dell Inspiron 9300 laptop
I had the original 1.0.0 version installed, but then uninstalled and reinstalled 1.0.0b with no changes (except that I didn't need to register the second time for some reason).

I also did several reboots, but to no avail.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

~Jonathan
LightChristmas View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote LightChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2008 at 2:08pm
Just a suggestion, take your original CDs and rip them to WAV format, just to be certain you have a "pure" file.

Jonathan View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote Jonathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2008 at 4:05pm
Windows Media Player won't allow that, and it's the only program I've got that will RIP CD's.  Each time I have it RIP a CD, it stores it in .wma format (another format that won't load, btw).  To get it to a wav or mp3 format I have to use Audicity and crank the volume way up, press record in Audicity, go to Media Player, hit play, wait until the song is over than go back to Audicity, hit stop and edit out the silences at the beginning and end of the song then finally save it to the format I need.  Cumbersome, but it works.  Also, I usually edit the songs a little before re-saving them.  And some of my music came from the internet via www.ilovewavs.com and the like, so I don't have every CD. 

I tried adjusting the sample rate down to 22050 Hz 16 bit just to see what happened.  The wav file still killed Aurora as soon as it tried to load.  I tried this with lots of different wav files, all with the same result.  The mp3 file also failed to load, but this time I got an actual Aurora error message as opposed to the Windows error message.  Follow the link to find the screen capture of that error message:  http://picasaweb.google.com/JDalquist/Misc?authkey=liRAJMnmwA8#5243386870293911794

The point is that Aurora won't open any audio file correctly.  Most audio files simply shut it down, and the one format that does keep it going has a timing issue.  At least sequencer opens before giving up.  Scheduler won't even open for me at all.Dead
~Jonathan
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote LightChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2008 at 4:41pm
Just change the default rip format in MP to WAV. The settings are in there. Make sure you have MP 10 or better.

As far as the sequencer is concerned, have you installed Aurora 1.0b? This takes care of a few issues with the scheduler.

Edited by LightChristmas - 07 Sep 2008 at 4:41pm

Jonathan View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote Jonathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2008 at 4:54pm
UPDATE:  I did some research on the net for info on the iviaudio.ax.  Turns out another program on my system uses it.  I really don't like messing with system files, but because of system restore I'm willing to try.  I found a site (http://www.irti.net/eclipse/support/bulletins/ECR2.html) that gave me a step by step way to fix it, and once I did, wav files opened at their normal speed without crashing Aurora.  (Woohoo!) 

Note that mp3's still have the timing issue, and scheduler still won't open; those issues are still unresolved but for now I'll just use wav's instead of mp3's.  If we can just get scheduler to work things would be great.

If anyone else has this same issue, you might benefit from this information as well:

ExclamationCaveat:  Always back up your system files and make a restore point in system restore first.  Only try messing with system files if you are confident and able to revert back if something goes wrong. 

1.       Search your computer for the location of the files IVIAUDIO.AX and IVIVIDEO.AX.  This can be done using the following procedures;

·         Either activate the windows START button, press the ESC key and then press the windows PROPERTIES key

·         Or Right Mouse Click on the windows START button

·         Cursor Arrow to the SEARCH entry

·         Press the ENTER key

·         Follow the search instructions for locating a file

·         Locate the two files and make note of their locations

2.       Activate the windows START button

3.       Cursor Arrow to the “RUN” entry

4.       Type in the following string - regsvr32 /u “<path to the offending file>\IVIAUDIO.AX”

5.       Press the OK button

6.       When presented with the successful pop-up press the OK button

7.       Type in the following string - regsvr32 /u “<path to the offending file>\IVIVIDEO.AX”

8.       Press the OK button

9.       When presented with the successful pop-up press the OK button

10.   Close all windows and applications and re-boot your system

~Jonathan
Jonathan View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote Jonathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2008 at 5:00pm
As I was typing my last post, LightChristmas replied back.  To that post I say this...

Oh hey look, you are right, I can change it.  I stand corrected.  Embarrassed  I have version 11.X right now.  But it looks as though that doesn't matter to scheduler.

Edited by Jonathan - 07 Sep 2008 at 5:01pm
~Jonathan
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote LightChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2008 at 5:04pm
As far as the scheduler goes, is it crashing as soon as you click on the calendar, or what? NMI

Jonathan View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote Jonathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2008 at 6:14pm
I don't get that far, although I can see the calender in the background.  I just open up the program and the error pops up immediately.  I have the choice of saying Ok or Cancel, but both cause the program to end.  On rare occasion the error doesn't pop up and I can fiddle around with the program.  But there is no pattern that seems to indicate why that might be the case.  Out of the last ten times I tried to open the program, it only opened twice.  Withf the two times the program opened, a mouseover random days caused the same error message to appear and again shut it down. 
~Jonathan
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote LightChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2008 at 6:24pm
Have you installed ver 1.00b or are you still using 1.0? If not, it might be a good idea to do so. 

Jonathan View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote Jonathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2008 at 8:38pm
Yes, as part of my own troubleshooting I uninstalled 1.0.0 and installed 1.0.0b.  The only difference I noticed is that 1.0.0b installed the full program version and did not require me to unlock the demo.  (Maybe it remembered that info from the first install, I don't know.)  I've had several restarts since then just to be sure. 

With scheduler, there seems to be a link between where on the screen the mouse is at when the program opens and when the program fails.  Not clicking anything mind you, but just mouseover.  Let me show you what I mean.  I've uploaded a short video clip of what happens whenever I open Scheduler:  http://picasaweb.google.com/JDalquist/Misc?authkey=liRAJMnmwA8#5243452112963499650
~Jonathan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>