No twinkle on certain channel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ChrisL1976 View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ChrisL1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No twinkle on certain channel
    Posted: 09 Sep 2008 at 5:04pm
one of my channels will not twinkle when it goes through playback. Full on, full fade, all work

Timing 32.5- 38 seconds is the section on the time bar.  The channel is the last on the list RIGHT WINDOW.    The left window plays back fine.

Sequence file:
http://www.lightsonsixth.com/sequences/houseonchristmasstreet.dls

Edited by ChrisL1976 - 09 Sep 2008 at 5:04pm
Chris

www.lightsonsixth.com
bmpaul View Drop Down

Quote bmpaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2008 at 6:32pm
I am having the same problem with two of my channels. I have gone back through and changed them both to shimmer so at least they are doing something. I save the file and the next time I open it up it is back to twinkle and not working again. I haven't hooked up any controllers so I hope this is just a problem in the visualizer and not the actual display.
bdkeen View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote bdkeen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2008 at 6:39am

I believe most all my sequences where I use Twinkle or Shimmer look like they are in the visulizer. I hooked up 4 controllers and a bunchy of lights yesterday to test some display elements in my sequences. I don't use shimmer and twinkle much but where I do they all seemed to work fine. Tested my 33 sequences yesterday, other than bit of a rope light meltdown (don't run 150ft spool of incandescant on the spool - something really stupid I did, but was good excuse for me to be switching to led rope ), but all worked well Twinkles twinkled, Shimmers shimmered, ramps, both very long and very short, ramped.

Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote ChrisL1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2008 at 9:10am
Create a new sequence, create one channel ..ACx16.....device 4.....channel 16     .....draw some lights on that channel

Throw in some event markers....and put TWINKLE on that channel.   Nothing shows up on playback when I run it.
Chris

www.lightsonsixth.com
bdkeen View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote bdkeen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2008 at 9:24am

OK - Yup - nothing shows in the visulizer..  Haven't tried it on the controller itself eith thrugh playback (light bulb) or the scheduler but I think I see the same thing you do. Be nice to see it in the visulizer. Don't think I have anything on 4-16 that uses shimmer or twinkle so I wouldn't have noticed it whenI was testing.

Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote ChrisL1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2008 at 9:30am
I think shimmer works, just not twinkle.....I'd have to check though.
Chris

www.lightsonsixth.com
tonyjmartin View Drop Down

Quote tonyjmartin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2008 at 9:35am
Originally posted by ChrisL1976

Throw in some event markers....and put TWINKLE on that channel.   Nothing shows up on playback when I run it.

Have you tried fiddling with the fps (frames per second) in the sequencer?  This may or may not help.

I suspect that the reason could also be that the twinkle rate is dependent upon each D-Light controller's individual hardware settings (Remember...D-Light firmware allows you to customize the twinkle/shimmer rates, LOR does not...or at least it didn't the last time I checked.)  Aurora sends a twinkle command, and the controller just does what it has been set to do in the hardware utility.  I suppose that there could be a default twinkle rate installed in the visualizer so you would have something to look at, but this wouldn't give you a true representation of what the controllers would be doing.  For this very reason, I've never really relied upon the visualizer for anything more than checking overall appearance of the display and timing.

Because I was short on sequencing time last holiday season, I oped for some really long twinkle commands, and I set about half of my controllers to various twinkle rates with the hardware utility.  Not synchronized, but blinky-flashy nonetheless.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote ChrisL1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2008 at 9:43am
Originally posted by tonyjmartin

Originally posted by ChrisL1976

Have you tried fiddling with the fps (frames per second) in the sequencer?  This may or may not help.

I suspect that the reason could also be that the twinkle rate is dependent upon each D-Light controller's individual hardware settings (Remember...D-Light firmware allows you to customize the twinkle/shimmer rates, LOR does not...or at least it didn't the last time I checked.)  Aurora sends a twinkle command, and the controller just does what it has been set to do in the hardware utility.  I suppose that there could be a default twinkle rate installed in the visualizer so you would have something to look at, but this wouldn't give you a true representation of what the controllers would be doing.  For this very reason, I've never really relied upon the visualizer for anything more than checking overall appearance of the display and timing.

Because I was short on sequencing time last holiday season, I oped for some really long twinkle commands, and I set about half of my controllers to various twinkle rates with the hardware utility.  Not synchronized, but blinky-flashy nonetheless.

My example is strictly related to the Aurora visualizer.....I have not tried it with a controller hooked up yet.
Take my example, If you create channel 4-15 and 4-16......channel 15 twinkles in playback....16 does nothing.

I played with FPS and it doesn't change the issue.

Edited by ChrisL1976 - 19 Oct 2008 at 9:57am
Chris

www.lightsonsixth.com
tonyjmartin View Drop Down

Quote tonyjmartin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2008 at 10:07am
Now I think I understand.

I just went into a couple of my sequences, inserted some twinkle and/or shimmer commands on various channels, and channel 16 never responds to a twinkle command in the visualizer, no matter what controller#/network#/device type is selected.

BTW--I'm still using v1.0

Brandon--which of your two channels are not responding to twinkle commands in the visualizer?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
bmpaul View Drop Down

Quote bmpaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2008 at 3:00pm
Both of my problem channels are channel 16 on my controller #3 and #4. If I change the parts on my channel 16's to shimmer (which does work) and save it, the next time I open that sequence it is changed back to twinkle and not working.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>