Aurora Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Aurora Sequencer Software > Aurora 1.0 > Installation Issues
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Display Server Install

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Pony_God View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Pony_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Display Server Install
    Posted: 09 Sep 2008 at 7:41pm
The setup.
SuperO P4 HT 3.2G, 2G Ram, no video (technically it has some POS ATI 4M server card), 1U rackmounted server

The OS
Windows Server 2003 Standard
Loggin in as nonAdmin user (and admin to fix issues)

Issues (all fixed)
msconct3.ocx was just not on the server, so that had to be downloaded and registered
Only "Administrator" recieved the desktop and menu Icons
Install did not fully install as non-admin (even though I ran as administrator)
I reinstalled while logged in as admin, everything was fine. I then created shortcuts to the two Aurora files for the user.
The non admin user did not have access rights to C:\Program Files\Aurora Sequencer, I added the user to the ACL.

Aurora then worked perfectly. Sequencer AND Scheduler, except...
The audio for the first minute of WiW is just not there, the sequencce is there, just not the sound. After about 1 minute, the audio picks up where it should be at 1 minute. This happens for both the sequencer and sceduler.

Side note, playing sequences took about 80% of one if the "cores" of the single cored P4 HT.
Fine. You're so smart you rig up the lights.
D-Light users Unite!
JonB256 View Drop Down
DMX
DMX

Quote JonB256 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2008 at 9:02am
Don't know about the audio silence. Any time I hear of missing audio, I think of Richard Nixon's tapes.

As for the CPU at 80%, I think that is a symptom. Unless you have the Visualizer running, CPU shouldn't run over 15% on any P4 or better processor. Which EXE file is actually sucking up the CPU? 
JonB - D-Light user
Pony_God View Drop Down

Quote Pony_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2008 at 9:39am

Sugar plum has nothing missing at all.

CPU... Sequencer  uses nothing 1%? Schedular (for the first song) uses about 1/2 of each core (yes, I know that P4s only had one core,but it's two graphs so "core" is easier to use), after the first song, schedular goes to about 80% of a single core, trading it's running core after seach song.
scedular is useing 50% of the CPU, and about 24M RAM, 10 Threads.
You did ask specifically what file though. "aurora_schedular.exe"

I currently DO NOT have the RS485 in, just running schedular. nothing else.
D-Light users Unite!
Pony_God View Drop Down

Quote Pony_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2008 at 10:10am
Just to add to the last post. I've let scedular run for the past half hour and It's still using ~80% of one of the CPUs and the audio in the start of the track is still missing.

I'll convert to WAV and see if anyhting different happens.
D-Light users Unite!
LightsOnLogan View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2008 at 1:17pm
While it shouldn't present a problem, Aurora has not been tested for operation on Windows Server.

Regarding CPU use: The scheduler will use a full "core" during playback.  This is not a bug, although it will be improved in future versions. 

Basically, "command prefetch and action deferrment" (for lower CPU use) is a relatively new feature of the Aurora playback engine, so while it is partially (but not completely) in use in the sequencer we intentionally left it disabled in the scheduler until it has seen some more "real world" usage to tweak the algorithm with.  As always, we're "playing it safe" on the "live" part of Aurora (the scheduler) while taking more risks with the "non live" (sequencer) part.  Present "in the lab" analysis says we should be able to get the CPU use down to about 1 or 2 percent after a few more tweaks, but we're not going live with those until adequate testing has been done.
Pony_God View Drop Down

Quote Pony_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2008 at 1:41pm
Hay, it's only 50% of a box that has nothing else to do, so no real problems there.

As for Windows Server, I do realise it's not really a supported platform, but it's quite close. Most places are just hardened (so I didn't have access to the program files dir).

My only real concern is the missing audio. Has that come up anywhere else? I suppose not.
D-Light users Unite!
LightsOnLogan View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2008 at 1:45pm
I have not seen the missing audio before.  Is it missing in the spectrogram/amplitude views or is it just missing at the output of the sound card but shows up in the views?
Pony_God View Drop Down

Quote Pony_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2008 at 2:31pm
Missing in the view missing any output until a minute in.
D-Light users Unite!
 Post Reply Post Reply