Aurora on VISTA 64 Bit

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
brunnesa View Drop Down
DMX
DMX

Online Status: Offline
  Quote brunnesa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aurora on VISTA 64 Bit
    Posted: 11 Sep 2008 at 12:31pm
Has anyone used Aurora on Vista 64 bit?  I am thinking about getting a new computer and that is the operating system it has.  Thanks.  Scott
Fred S View Drop Down
Pre-Order User
Pre-Order User

Quote Fred S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2008 at 5:45pm
I installed it on my desktop computer with Vista Home Premium 64 bit. It installed without problems. I have not had any issues with it yet, but I have not had a lot of time to work with it at home yet. I have not tried the schedler yet as this is not the computer that I will use to run my show.
brunnesa View Drop Down
DMX
DMX

Quote brunnesa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2008 at 9:11pm
Ok Thanks.  I guess not many people have used Vista 64 bit.  Does anyone see any issues I could have running my display on a 64 bit operating ststem?
Slinkard View Drop Down
DMX
DMX

Quote Slinkard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2008 at 11:16am
I use it on a 64bit quad 4400 vista system and have not encounter anything other then operator errors!

Slink

Edited by Slinkard - 12 Sep 2008 at 11:17am

Coming soon www.computerizedlights.com
LightsOnLogan View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2008 at 1:45pm
Aurora has been tested to work properly on XP and Vista (both 32 bit and 64 bit).

Aurora has not been tested on the Windows Server platform, but since XP 64 bit is actually more based on Server 2003 than XP... I don't anticipate there being a problem with 2003 Server.  Aurora is most likely not compatible with 2008 Server. 

As for hardware, I have noticed that Aurora runs faster (particularly with the spectral analysis on a new song) on a well built AMD system than an equivalent Intel system... but unless you are building your own PCs, an AMD system is less likely to fit the "well built" criteria since they find their way into too many budget systems with weak components used elsewhere.  I haven't followed the processor wars in a couple years, but I recall that at one point the AMD processors were faster at simultaneous floating point operations while the Intel processors were faster at integer math.  Since the spectral analysis extensively uses floating point operations I'm going to guess that is why the AMD chips seem to be better for that portion of Aurora.  Everywhere else it would be very difficult to tell the difference between AMD vs. Intel with Aurora. 
Pony_God View Drop Down

Quote Pony_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2008 at 2:19pm
2003 is happy as long as you run as administrator/have admin privledges/give access to the non admin user adter install as admin. The one ocx file is just not there at all. (Don't remember the specific one off hand).

I've been running schedular for 2 days straight on 2003 and I'm at about 50% CPU (on a P4 HT) and 100M of RAM.

*Note that the one song is missing audio for ~1min, but that could be an issue with the MP3.
Fine. You're so smart you rig up the lights.
D-Light users Unite!
 Post Reply Post Reply