Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

requirements

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
nikkinscot View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote nikkinscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: requirements
    Posted: 14 Sep 2008 at 9:41pm
What are the requirements for the Aurora software?

P3 P4 or?
256 mb 512mb, 1 gb?
windows xp? which update service pack 1, 2, 3?
Lotta luck or a prayer?

My computer I was using for Spectrum just crashed so I am needing to build a computer for this. (of course if I can get away with less it leaves more money for more lights or boards)

JonB256 View Drop Down
DMX
DMX

Quote JonB256 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2008 at 8:57am
A P4 would be fine.
1 GB is more than enough.
XP, SP2 is what most people are using but I'm running it on SP3 with no problems.

I had zero installation or running problems on my XP computer (AMD processor, 1GB, Radeon 9550 video card)

I had minor installation problems on my Vista Ultimate computer (AMD Phenom, 4GB, integrated Radeon graphics) that had to do with "unregistering" and "registering" some OCX files. Plus, you can only run Aurora in the "DirectShow" mode on Vista. That has been made the default now.

I run way too much third party software and shareware but still had minimal installation problems on either computer. I don't fully understand why some computers are being so picky. If you are running any Roxio video software, it seems to be worse, but that's not even a good generalization. I'm just glad I'm not the programmer and having to track down all the problems. :)
JonB - D-Light user
nikkinscot View Drop Down

Quote nikkinscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2008 at 9:34am
That helps. Thanks.
tonyjmartin View Drop Down

Quote tonyjmartin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2008 at 9:39am
Originally posted by JonB256

A P4 would be fine.
1 GB is more than enough.
XP, SP2 is what most people are using but I'm running it on SP3 with no problems.

Nary a glitch here either (P4, 1.25GB, 64MB video card, XP Home, SP3).  To bad Microsoft pulled support for XP.  But then again maybe support isn't necessary anymore, as it has became a stable OS.

I run way too much third party software and shareware but still had minimal installation problems on either computer.

That has been the downfall of my system, though it hasn't negatively affected Aurora so far (knock on wood).  I'm like a kid in a candy store with shareware/freeware, especially for audio/video conversion.  So every few months I have to strip down my computer once again and thoroughly edit the registry.  Too many little programs not playing well together.... Ouch
Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Pony_God View Drop Down

Quote Pony_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2008 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by tonyjmartin

I run way too much third party software and shareware but still had minimal installation problems on either computer.

That has been the downfall of my system, though it hasn't negatively affected Aurora so far (knock on wood).  I'm like a kid in a candy store with shareware/freeware, especially for audio/video conversion.  So every few months I have to strip down my computer once again and thoroughly edit the registry.  Too many little programs not playing well together.... Ouch
And THAT is exactly why I have a server dedicated to Aurora. Well, mostly because of that. I also went with server 2003 because I use a total of 100M durring the show with only the OS, Aurora, and D-Light's HW Utility installed. IIS will most likely get installed as well though. Although that may go on a virtual machine so that Aurora has the OS all to it's self.

I already have enough IT headaches to need to worry about Aurora hiccuping or anything else funny going on.
Fine. You're so smart you rig up the lights.
D-Light users Unite!
 Post Reply Post Reply