Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

New User Needs Help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
JohnR View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote JohnR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New User Needs Help
    Posted: 28 Sep 2008 at 9:54am
Hi, I'm new to the discipline of light controllers and purchased an AC-16 from D-Light. I downloaded the demo version of aurora to learn and have run into a problem and have a few questions.
Problem: the d-light hardware test program is able to perform all functions on my AC-16 but when I try to do all the functions via Aurora in Playback to Lights mode, the ramp up and ramp down does not work. On, Off, Shimmer and Twinkle work fine but cannot ramp up or down...any help on this?  I have the latest firmware on the AC-16.

Questions: how do you "download" a sequence to the controller so that it can be used without being attached to a computer? I understand the Playback to Lights mode but how do you get the controller to play a sequence without being attached to the USB port?

Question: Once I know how to download a sequence to the controller, can you also select the time for it to start he sequence or does it start automatically when the controller is powered up?

Question: how do you get music output from the controller if it is not plugged into a computer during a light show?

sorry for the stupid questions but I am very fascinated by this and can't seem to get my hands on a really good beginner's guide....something like Aurora and D-Light Controllers for Dummy's!!  Any help on pointed me to any reference material along with answers to problems and questions above would be greatly appreciated. I would like to put on a show for Christmas and feel I have a lot to learn!

Thanks!
John
JohnR
compfire View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote compfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2008 at 10:33am
 John,

Welcome to the world of animated lights.  I will try to answer your questions to best of my ability (only my 2 yr doing this, so I am still learning). 

Problem: the d-light hardware test program is able to perform all functions on my AC-16 but when I try to do all the functions via Aurora in Playback to Lights mode, the ramp up and ramp down does not work. On, Off, Shimmer and Twinkle work fine but cannot ramp up or down...any help on this?

How long are your ramps?  If they are more than 2 secs., then Aurora won't work.  They are currently working on a fix.

Questions: how do you "download" a sequence to the controller so that it can be used without being attached to a computer? I understand the Playback to Lights mode but how do you get the controller to play a sequence without being attached to the USB port? 

To the best of my knowledge, there is NO way to do that with your hardware.  You can purchase a Wireless WiLink from D-Light, but your computer would still need to be on, and running the Aurora Scheduler.  I think that Animated Lights has a controller with build-in playback, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Question: Once I know how to download a sequence to the controller, can you also select the time for it to start he sequence or does it start automatically when the controller is powered up? 

You would setup the start/stop time with the computer and the Aurora Scheduler.

Question: how do you get music output from the controller if it is not plugged into a computer during a light show?

Once again, this would come from your computer audio out jack.  From there, you would hook it directly up to speakers or a FM transmitter.

sorry for the stupid questions but I am very fascinated by this and can't seem to get my hands on a really good beginner's guide 

The only dumb questions are the ones you don't ask.  We have all needed help doing this. 

Good luck,

Mike

JonB256 View Drop Down
DMX
DMX

Quote JonB256 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2008 at 2:54pm
Compfire/Mike is correct on all counts.
Keep your Ramps very short until version 1.1 ships (soon!!!).

and - no downloading direct to a controller.

The Light-O-Rama company has a stand alone unit called the MP3 Director that will connect to your light controllers and audio without the home computer. The bad thing is that you must use the LOR software, not Aurora, and it may not always be compatible with D-Light controllers. Probably the biggest downside is it costs more money and you already own the computer.

JonB
JonB - D-Light user
JohnR View Drop Down

Quote JohnR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2008 at 7:19pm
Mike and Jon B... thank you very much for your help!  Yes, my ramps were longer than 2 seconds... shortening them did the trick!  Also, I appreciate the insight into needing the computer to be connected in order for the show and music to take place. I was under the mistaken impression that you downloaded all the info into memory on the controller!! I appreciate your help and insight!! sincerely, John R
JohnR
Pony_God View Drop Down

Quote Pony_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2008 at 7:33pm
Don't forget AL, they require thier director/show display node as well.
I know that when I started looking, I found Animated Lighting fisrt, found thier discriptions complex, but understood that I needed at minimum a controller that controlls of all the ACx16 equivelents, think there was something about needing the MP3 decoder as well.
I saw that now LOR has the controller node now as well. That makes D-Light the only place that doesn't have one, right?
Fine. You're so smart you rig up the lights.
D-Light users Unite!
JonB256 View Drop Down
DMX
DMX

Quote JonB256 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2008 at 9:01pm
The AL director is called The Monster Brain. I don't remember the exact price but it was high enough that I never considered AL. I have talked with AL users and sales people at meetings and found their system and software aimed more at commercial setups rather than our more "hobbyist" attitude with LOR and D-Light. I can afford many more channels and it is just as reliable. New products like Galaxia and D-Light's FireFly are icing on the cake. As far as having a D-Light computer substitute, it shouldn't be too hard to create.
JonB - D-Light user
 Post Reply Post Reply