Aurora Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Aurora Sequencer Software > Aurora 1.0 > Installation Issues
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

UAC ???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ChrisL1976 View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ChrisL1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: UAC ???
    Posted: 30 Sep 2008 at 1:29pm
ok, I redid this post since I got the 64 bit machine to run both the sequencer and the scheduler.   My question is how important is it to have UAC turned ON?  If its ON, I cant get either, I get error messages for both programs . If I shut UAC off, both open clean.

I'm new to Vista, so should it be turned on? 

Edited by ChrisL1976 - 30 Sep 2008 at 8:38pm
Chris

www.lightsonsixth.com
bdkeen View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote bdkeen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2008 at 7:43am

Seems that the general concensus is that UAC’s primary purpose is to stop users from doing dumb things. It's yet another level of automated OS protection.  Good for folks like my wife Shocked. But annoying as can be for many.

Turning it off means you just have to try and be in control - same as all previous versions of Windows OS.  Means using some common sense - not much different than we've had to do under XP or before.

May not be the best thing to do from the security standpont but I disabled it as soon as I installed Vista (and Windows 2008).

There's a ton of articles on the controversy of turning it off or leaving it on.

My personal choice was to disable and take my chances making my best guess based upon the many years working with this stuff. It was just too annoying and I didn't want to kick the new computer - not yet, It's got to run my xmas showWink
Pony_God View Drop Down

Quote Pony_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2008 at 8:00am
See, now I wouldn't turn it off. Do you really turst that Windows will still be secure enough with a deadbolt on thier screen door disabled? How easy do you want to make it for viri/malware to get in?
UAC isn't exactly an anti-anything, it's more of a nanny to sit there and ask if you really want to do it.
I work with vendors that tell me that UAC, Antivirus, anti-spyware, and network backups are the reason that thier software doesn't work, and tell me to stop everything. I just ask them if they are going to support all of the security issues that arrise from the lack of protection and backups.

For my Vista 32 everything runs well enough. Sequencer asks me each time I start if that's what I wanted to do, and says that it crashed when I close the program. Other than that, it's just like XP, possibly a bit better.

You did do the Vista Patch AND THEN installed 1b? Right?
Fine. You're so smart you rig up the lights.
D-Light users Unite!
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote ChrisL1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2008 at 9:33am
Yes, I uninstalled 1B.  Ran the Patch, then reinstalled 1B and got the same error.  Tuning off the UAC cleared the error, so obviously its hanging up on something the UAC is doing.  If I should keep it on, then is there to have it exclude Aurora while still having it protect the rest of the compute?
Chris

www.lightsonsixth.com
LightsOnLogan View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2008 at 9:34am
For the record, the 1.0 and 1.0b download links currently both are the same "1.0b" version.  After 1.0b fixed 95% of the "error 339" problems I depreciated 1.0 and replaced it with 1.0b.  It has been this way for 2 weeks or so.  The Vista patch should no longer be necessary, but it will not hurt anything if run over 1.0b either.

The following only applies to error 339: If the current version gives you a 339 error you can try to download the offending file name in the error message directly from Microsoft (don't get it anywhere else though... there are lots of fakes out there).  Do let me know what file name it complained about if it isn't one of the usual suspects (MSCOMM32, MSCOMCTL, MSCOMCT2).

5% of the "error 339" cases still exist on one file or another.  We are working on a "reg-free COM" version of Aurora.  While that doesn't mean a whole lot to non developers, it is actually quite cool... when we get it to work the program will not install any of the offending OCX files -AND- it will not even need to be installed at all (you could copy it to a thumb drive and it would run on any computer you attach the drive to without installation).  This will become the default distribution of Aurora once we get it working.

Edited by LightsOnLogan - 01 Oct 2008 at 9:39am
bdkeen View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote bdkeen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2008 at 9:45am
If you're asking me - yes Vista Patch and 1b..  Aurora works just fine and I've got absolutely no problems with Aurora running on XP, Vista, and now even Windows 2008 Server (other than any of the known issues that are already logged or are currently being addressed)

I'm probably in alot different situation than most based on experience and the resources I have at hand. Could end up writing a book why I've made the choice that I really don't need the UAC babysitting for myself. Don't feel threatened at all by "deadbolt on their screendoor disabled"

My Vista box is pretty much dedicated to Aurora along with just a few odds and ends that I might utilize in support of Aurora. I run AV software on all my nodes that the normal home user wouldn't have since my home network is also a test bed for support of a global network of over 500 servers and 10000 workstions and I also beta test for a major AV software vendor.  Not the normal home setup.

I wouldn't disable UAC without weighing the risk.
There's tons of tech articles indicating the pros and cons of disabling UAC.. Everyone has the oppertunity to evaluate the risk and make the choice based upon their own situation.
At least Microsoft gave us the option and freedom to choose.
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote ChrisL1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2008 at 10:00am
so is there a way in Vista to turn off the UAC from only Aurora?    Although that babysitter does annoy the crap out of me  :)
Chris

www.lightsonsixth.com
bdkeen View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote bdkeen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2008 at 10:08am
Appears as if UAC is normally an all or nothing but there also appears to be ways to be more selective.
Haven't tried it myself - but perhaps http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/window-on-windows/?p=635 will provide a starting point.
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote ChrisL1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2008 at 10:13am
Originally posted by bdkeen

Appears as if UAC is normally an all or nothing but there also appears to be ways to be more selective.
Haven't tried it myself - but perhaps http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/window-on-windows/?p=635 will provide a starting point.

I was just reading that article.   Maybe I'll give it a shot. 
LOL

Edited by ChrisL1976 - 01 Oct 2008 at 10:13am
Chris

www.lightsonsixth.com
Pony_God View Drop Down

Quote Pony_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2008 at 10:23am
What's the actuall error? What's happeneing? What's the UAC ask? What's your answer to it?
Fine. You're so smart you rig up the lights.
D-Light users Unite!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>