Aurora Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Aurora Sequencer Software > Aurora 1.0 > Installation Issues
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

UAC ???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
LightChristmas View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Online Status: Offline
  Quote LightChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2008 at 10:35am
UAC can be "turned off" !!!PROVIDED!!! you have good firewall and virus software. The shrink wrapped trash that comes with many PCs won't cut it. And the firewall that comes with windoze is more deterrent than protection. If you're going to pursue this course, I recommend using AVG 8.0 antivirus/malware/spyware and BlackIce as a firewall. Do NOT use the default settings as these are most likely compromised by now. BlackIce is freeware while the AVG you want will cost you $55

The other downside to turning off UAC is that you will be constantly nagged by windoze to turn it back on. Which is why many of us have PCs - to TUNE OUT the nagging!LOL

ChrisL1976 View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote ChrisL1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2008 at 10:38am
Originally posted by Pony_God

What's the actuall error? What's happeneing? What's the UAC ask? What's your answer to it?

I believe its the MSCOMM32 error, but I can get it for sure when I get home for lunch.

click to open Aurora and it asks if I want to allow it to run, I click allow.  Error pops up, and shuts down Aurora.  

I can get more specific at lunch if needed....actual wording, etc
Chris

www.lightsonsixth.com
Pony_God View Drop Down

Quote Pony_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2008 at 10:38am

And don't forget to make sure that auto-updates are on. And the optional updates are added. And the AV is updated nightly, and that it does deep scans. and... and... and... Unless you know what needs to be done, and have to time to do it, I warn against turning any protection off.

Fine. You're so smart you rig up the lights.
D-Light users Unite!
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote ChrisL1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2008 at 10:48am
So its a case of either turn ON UAC back on and not be able to run Aurora or my show from the laptop which was part of my reasoning for buying the laptop, or turn off UAC and be able to run my show, but risk harming the computer.

I'll get you guys all the specific errors I'm getting and maybe a fix can get figured out. If not, I'll try that Application Compatibility Toolkit from MS and see if that works......if nothing works, I'll just turn off my wi-fi for the month of December, turn off UAC, and run the the show from the laptop.     
Chris

www.lightsonsixth.com
Pony_God View Drop Down

Quote Pony_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2008 at 11:22am
My guess is that the MSCOMM32 is just missing. I had to download it and place it in the correct location... and... and something else that I don't remember specifically.

What Vista is it? I'm on Busines.
Are you the local Admin?

Originally posted by ChrisL1976

if nothing works, I'll just turn off my wi-fi for the month of December, turn off UAC, and run the the show from the laptop.     
That was going to be my next comment. Unplug/disable all networking, turn UAC off, and run the shows. THen UAC on, and network back up after everything is all done. I'd also disable AV software if your that far off the grid just to take that tiny bit of load off the HDD and speed up the disk reads a hair more.
D-Light users Unite!
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote ChrisL1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2008 at 11:30am
Originally posted by Pony_God

My guess is that the MSCOMM32 is just missing. I had to download it and place it in the correct location... and... and something else that I don't remember specifically.

What Vista is it? I'm on Busines.
Are you the local Admin?

Its Microsoft® Windows Vista® Home Premium 64-bit with Service Pack 1
Here's the computer:  http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/176215/Toshiba-Satellite-M305D-S4831-14-1/

Where did you get the MSCOMM32 file from?   I cant find it on Microsoft's website...and where does it need to be placed on my computer.

Local Admin....I'm the only user name on the computer..does that answer your question.

I did notice something, when I turn UAC back on. The first time I right click on Aurora, it has the option to "Run as Administrator"  Would that change anything?   If I right click on it again, it doesn't come up.

Edited by ChrisL1976 - 01 Oct 2008 at 11:31am
Chris

www.lightsonsixth.com
Pony_God View Drop Down

Quote Pony_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2008 at 12:30pm
Alright, quick search got me this site for the file.
It needs to be in the "C:\Windows\System32" directory.

Try to run the setup program again but right click and "Run As Administrator" (I think that even though I'm a domain admin, I still had to do that.
D-Light users Unite!
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote ChrisL1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2008 at 12:41pm
ok..its a different error.

Chris

www.lightsonsixth.com
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote ChrisL1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2008 at 12:54pm
Ok, I searched for that error code online found a online post saying to run this "regsvr32 comdlg32.ocx"    I put that in the search window in START and it came up with the AURORA VISTA PATCH......I double clicked the vista patch, it opened a DOS style box, ran through some commands and closed.  I clicked on Aurora, UAC poped up, I said ALLOW and BINGO....Aurora opened up.  Scheduler opens as well.......Clap
Chris

www.lightsonsixth.com
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote ChrisL1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2008 at 1:18pm
Maybe you need to run the vista patch after you run the install.....?????   It worked on my end.
Chris

www.lightsonsixth.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>