Aurora and Firefly - what controller config

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
compfire View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote compfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2008 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by Jonathan

Originally posted by compfire

I can't seem to get Aurora to output to my Firefly.  I configured it in D-light HW config.  Set the channels to 15, 16, & 17.  Tested a short seq in Spectrum, and it worked fine.  Imported it into Aurora, but it wouldn’t output to the Firefly controller.  I even tried building a seq. from scratch, and added 3 channels manually, but it didn't work.   Anyone else having the same problems?  Any ideas?

I am.  I used Spectrum to create 48 channels, renamed them, and imported them to Aurora.  A test sequence yielded only one red light twinkling (to an on command no less), and no other commands were received except for my ACx16 to which the firefly is plugged into...  and it has no commands programmed!  I've got them listed as Generic LOR1 Protocol, but none of the other settings for controllers work either.  HW Utility verifies that all channels are operational. 

Did you run it in Spectrum and did it work?
JonB256 View Drop Down
DMX
DMX

Quote JonB256 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2008 at 10:17pm
I had a similar, non-responsive reaction until I turned everything off, then back on. It has worked without problem ever since. (by everything, I mean I rebooted the PC, unplugged the USB adaptor and power cycled the Firefly. 
JonB - D-Light user
compfire View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote compfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2008 at 11:03pm
I'm not sure what changed it for me, but one minute it wasn't working, and now it has worked since.
tonyjmartin View Drop Down

Quote tonyjmartin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2008 at 11:30pm
Back somewhere during the Spring/Summer of 2007, long before we were all so obsessed with Spectrum not working, we used to actually spend a lot of time talking about the hardware (connections, how to use the test button, etc.)  Back then this was the most common first suggestion in trouble-shooting:

"Did you power-cycle the board?"

Smile

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ChrisL1976 View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote ChrisL1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2008 at 11:36pm
check your UBS adapter....I just returned mine to Darryl for a replacement....I would plug in my controller and it would link up and work for a few minutes, then stop working. Sometime not work at all.  Try jiggling the plug around and see if you regain the connection.

Can you see the adapter in the device manager?
Chris

www.lightsonsixth.com
Jonathan View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote Jonathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2008 at 12:00am
Compfire, yes, I did run it in Spectrum, and it did work.  Much like the DCx16 or ACx8, the enhanced features did not work, but everything else did.

JonB256 and tonyjmartin, I've power cycled the unit several times.  I've also changed the order the USB485 is connected. First it was on the ACx16 (with attached firefly), then the DCx16, then the firefly directly.  When all is said and done, I hope to have all my fireflies daisy chained together on one controller, and all commands sent via the desk unit.  I have not rebooted my system, but I have let it hibernate.  After this post, I'll try that even though bad things tend to happen to my system whenever I reboot.  

ChrisL1976, both the USB485 and the wiLink desk unit seem to function just fine.  All other commands to various non firefly controllers are received with no issues (unless they are over 2 seconds long yada yada same bug as everyone else has).  Connection is there, the light goes solid on all the controllers.  I'm convinced both adapters are working normally.

UPDATE:  A reboot at first seemed to not have any effect.  Commands for firefly were not received.  But then, suddenly, unexplainably, Aurora started to send commands out.   Then the next time I hit play, it sent the commands it wanted to out and ignored others (I kept it below 2 seconds for each command).   So it's not working quite right yet, but we're getting closer! Smile

Edited by Jonathan - 08 Oct 2008 at 12:34am
~Jonathan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12