Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Trans-Siberian Orchestra Contest!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Pony_God View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Pony_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2008 at 2:07am
Isn't that the point of those contests?
Crate all the hype, get all the publicity, and then drop 1% of what you make from just putting the event on?
Fine. You're so smart you rig up the lights.
D-Light users Unite!
tonyjmartin View Drop Down

Quote tonyjmartin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2008 at 2:23am
Originally posted by ChrisL1976

Some how I think the people doing all the hard work are getting the short end of the stick.

Somebody has to do the work.  Everything I've seen that Carson has done since the WWW hype has been based on the one sequence that made him famous.  But fame doesn't mean that you're talented...it just means that you got noticed.
Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
jberner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote jberner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2008 at 9:31am
I am a little annoyed with them bringing in the guy with the 'original' light show too.  He might have gotten noticed first but his show inst the best and he wasn't the first as far as I know.  I watched the videos of the mall and frankly I wasn't all that impressed.  They could have done better with the resources they used IMO.  His shows are nice but they lack some of the inspiration and raw ingenuity and imagination that you see through out  the community.

I can't say mine are any better though :)

ChrisL1976 View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote ChrisL1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2008 at 10:08am
JB    I wasn't impressed with his mall show either.....kind of bland if you ask me. 

Edited by ChrisL1976 - 31 Oct 2008 at 10:29am
Chris

www.lightsonsixth.com
bdkeen View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote bdkeen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2008 at 11:41am
I guess TSO has sort of become a tradition for light animators.  
I too watched the vids - Ho Hum, just another variation on a theme.

Just imagine what we could do with that sort of budget! Shocked
Pony_God View Drop Down

Quote Pony_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2008 at 11:51am
See, Tara and I enjoy Holdman's... The entire display is fully rotated between R/G/W. Very clean and crisp.

I think we like TSO because there are good beats to follow. Doing something like Let it snow, it's mostly vocals and minimal beats to follow so there's a ton of invention to match up with the audio.
That and it's just lively and animated so we can really get our lights going all over with them.
D-Light users Unite!
jberner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote jberner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2008 at 9:07pm
Frankly TSO is the sort of music I like and my generation grew up with.  Classic is nice but too simple for me.  Being my first Christmas display I will be probably be doing 2 TSO and 1 classic.  I have the 'honor' of going to Montreal the first week of December so I imagine I might build another show while I am freezing to death up there.  I am sure the entire time I will be wishing i had 250,000 lights to run.
Pony_God View Drop Down

Quote Pony_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2008 at 9:14pm
hum... 'my' generation.... Well, I'm in the MTV generation, but do love the classics. I've already done some Bing Crosby. I don't think that Evenescence, Lacuna Coil, Disturbed, or Slipknot would work very well in a christmas show.
D-Light users Unite!
tonyjmartin View Drop Down

Quote tonyjmartin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2008 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by Pony_God

I don't think that Evenescence, Lacuna Coil, Disturbed, or Slipknot would work very well in a christmas show.

Hey, I just listened to "My Immortal", and it's got some TSO-flavored moments.  But then again, anything seems Christmassy with the WMP "Yule Log" visualization. Thumbs%20Up

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Jonathan View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote Jonathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2008 at 1:26pm
I love that visualization; I use it year round!  It was rather interesting picking out patriotic music for my Independence Day show and watching flames dance from a log.LOL
~Jonathan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>