How short can ramps be?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Comporder1 View Drop Down
DMX
DMX

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Comporder1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2008 at 10:33am
Will do. I will also watch my memory usage. If I remember correctly, I was zoomed out at about 30 sec or so showing in the window.
LightsOnLogan View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2008 at 12:25pm
30 seconds should be more than enough to not cause any problems.  In your case (the exception and not the rule) this might be a thread timing on slower hardware issue... I'll look into it.  Fortunately it doesn't affect Borealis so the real show isn't affected.  This is one of the reasons we have kept Borealis extremely simple.

Edited by LightsOnLogan - 01 Dec 2008 at 12:26pm
beavis View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote beavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2008 at 2:41pm
I think someone mentioned, maybe in another thread that they used a full on followed by a half intensity or whatever to simulate a quick fade.   I tested with it a little, and it translates to the lights pretty well.

What if there were a tool similar to the waveform tool, where you select however many FPS, or maybe Frames per Cell, and then have Aurora do some sort of calculated gradients of ramped intensities.  Say a short cell separated into 3 separate intensities of 100, 66 and 33.  Or 5 of 100, 80, 60, 40, 20.  At high speeds, it would probably look like a fade.  And it would save the controller processor the work of calculating fades.

On it's face this would seem difficult, but when you look at the way the waveform tool already works, I'd think it could be tweaked pretty easily to allow something like this.

Of course I'm sure it's easier said than done.  Smile

Edited by beavis - 09 Dec 2008 at 2:45pm
LightsOnLogan View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2008 at 6:14pm
It can be done, but it greatly increases the amount of bandwidth being used on the network.  The fact that the controllers can "coprocess" the ramps is actually an advantage of the protocol that makes it better than DMX for our particular application.  A single ramp command with a 9-11 byte structure (depending on options) would have to be replaced with Nx6 bytes (where N is the number of frames to complete the ramp).  W2E is typically used on a limited number of channels where this isn't a huge concern, but it isn't intended to scale into a general purpose tool either.  Imagine simultaneous ramps in a 500 channel display (not impossible) and you will see that one method scales much better than the other.  Then there is also the part about increasing the minimum processor and memory requirements for Aurora... something we do not want to do.

That said, there are some developments in the works for 2009 which might render this discussion obsolete.
beavis View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote beavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2008 at 10:15pm
Yeah, but then again if you think of the only alternative being adding new super-short timing marks just to allow a quick off before another on, I'd think having a stepped dimming might make sense..  I don't think you'd need to have nearly as many frames available as the waveform.

It's really only a problem with short fades, so I'd think anything more than 3 or 4 steps would be overkill anyway.  The normal fades would still be preferred for anything longer.  For me, like someone else mentioned, I use the short fades mostly for repetitive beats on the same channel.

I wouldn't think -  On (100) On (66) On (33) On (100) - would cost that much more than just - On (100) Off On (100) -

And the other thing is, there's nothing preventing us from doing this manually already, we just have to muddy the water with more timing marks, and it's more work.

I have to say I'm really impressed with the software overall though.  Other than some fade issues, it has been rock solid compared to spectrum.  The only problems I've really had is fading that I imported from Spectrum not looking exactly the same as it did.

But with Spectrum, I literally had to sequence with 16 strands of Christmas lights hooked up to a controller in my basement to figure out how it would look.  The visualizer was pretty much unusable.  Totally not the case with Aurora.  The only problems I've seen is that the controllers have a hard time keeping up.  I guess when you figure out their limits, it gets better.

Edited by beavis - 09 Dec 2008 at 10:18pm
Pony_God View Drop Down

Quote Pony_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2008 at 8:35am
You also need to consider the time that incandecent lists need to cool off and the percieved fade.
We talked about this on page two. http://www.lightsonlogan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=480&KW=blink&PN=2
Something that short will never be able to precieved as a pretty/smooth fade, so there are ways around it. One way would to be to understand that ramps to not function faster than .15 seconds, so Aurora could see those commands as a half on/half off command. Or something equivelent.
Fine. You're so smart you rig up the lights.
D-Light users Unite!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234