placing computer in shed outside

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
breakbenj View Drop Down
Pre-Order User
Pre-Order User

Online Status: Offline
  Quote breakbenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: placing computer in shed outside
    Posted: 17 Nov 2008 at 12:29pm
I was wondering if anyone thought it would be risky to put my computer outside in my shed and run the lights out of it. The shed is made out of plastic with a floor and it does not have any heat but it does not leak so I was thinking it would be o.k but I would like to get some more opinions on it. I live in Georgia so we don't have harsh winters.Big%20smile
Jeff

ChrisL1976 View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote ChrisL1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2008 at 1:10pm
I know a few people that put the in their garages, so I dont think a shed would hurt either. As long as its weather proof and lockable.
Chris

www.lightsonsixth.com
LightsOnLogan View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2008 at 1:21pm
In my experience, the temps need to drop below 0 F before a computer will act up or simply refuse to run, but the computer's keyboard will tend to be less friendly and will start acting up at around 30 F.  In GA in December this shouldn't be an issue.

Once upon a time (14 years ago) I worked in Atlanta in a warehouse environment with no heat.  There were a few days in February that the computers wouldn't run, but for the most part they hung in there without issue.  That was a long time ago, and with the hotter running CPUs these days the threshold may even be much colder.

That said, do not use an LCD monitor in those temps (bad things can happen).  Find an old CRT to hook up to it or just disconnect the monitor and take it in when it isn't needed.
Pony_God View Drop Down

Quote Pony_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2008 at 4:37pm
Southwest Florida here...
We have a Super Micro Hyperthreaded 1U server going in the garage to run the show. He's going to stay on 24/7.
Fine. You're so smart you rig up the lights.
D-Light users Unite!
bdkeen View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote bdkeen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2008 at 5:44pm
I run my server in an unheated garage all year round (24x7).  PA winters can get a little brisk and never had any problems.
breakbenj View Drop Down
Pre-Order User
Pre-Order User

Quote breakbenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2008 at 6:14pm

Well it looks like I will be fine, Thanks for the reply.Big%20smile

Jeff

christmas 01 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote christmas 01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2009 at 4:21pm
im from uk, and have put the pc year before last in the greenhouse, this yearsgoing to be different though because im going to keep it in my office here upstairs, and have already got a linked cat 5 from the house to the garden already terminated ;)
so i will be using that instead. of running the computer from outside .
mind you no-one would dare touch anything anyway, because the cctv keeps an eye on everything when setup.
Many hands make christmas lights work
 Post Reply Post Reply