Aurora Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Vault > I'm New From Spectrum And I Need Help!
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFun with Firefly

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Pony_God View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Pony_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fun with Firefly
    Posted: 21 Nov 2008 at 1:06pm
Alright, so lets see if anyone knows what I'm trying to do...
I want our Firefly to Start out red, and fade to yellow, BUT ALSO, go from 100% intensity to 0%.
I do realise that #000000, black is off, but I don't want to fade from red to black.

Any ideas?
Fine. You're so smart you rig up the lights.
D-Light users Unite!
LightsOnLogan View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2008 at 1:40pm
You need to break this into multiple steps.  Example:

Step 1: FF0000 to C06000
Step 2: C06000 to 504000
Step 3: 504000 to 000000

This isn't perfect as the red channel really needs to remain linearized while the green channel needs to follow a curve.  The RGB tool stays in the linear domain because that is all the protocol allows for (to render this correctly would require hundreds of commands to be sent which would choke the network).

There will need to be at least 1 step for each 30 degrees in the color wheel (HSV value "H").  Unfortunately the timing precision of the ramps in the Firefly firmware isn't perfect (runs a little fast actually) so it looks like it "takes a breaK" at each step on the way down. 

Alternately, if this is a quick ramp you could render it as a series of "set color" commands.

Pony_God View Drop Down

Quote Pony_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2008 at 1:46pm
hum... that's about what I thought. color shift, then fade to black.
Do you imagine that native mode might be more accomodating for programibility and complex management/control?
D-Light users Unite!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2008 at 2:07pm

Aside from a few exceptions, native mode will use the same tools to get the job done that Aurora currently has.  The biggest difference resides in the amount of bandwidth required to execute the commands.

What you desire (very creative BTW) would require a very complex curve in at least one of the color channels... to offload such calculations into hardware at a $160 price point might not be realistic.  The only way to accomplish this is on the Aurora side which would require Aurora to automatically send this as a series of colors.  If used too much this would bring the network to a crawl which isn't desireable either.
Pony_God View Drop Down

Quote Pony_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2008 at 2:31pm

Ah... okay, so the command is start at X sift to Y over Z time. and Firefly figures out what to do with it. hum... I realise that it's quire a fair amount of math R255->0 while G0->255 , but the entire thing is shifted to a lower intenity on each step.

I wasn't sure (and still not sure) who does what where... What's done in software, RS285, and at the controller to create the number of effects that we all use and what limits are enfored at what steps.

BTW... Can you tell that I'm a ramp-a-holic? hahaha
D-Light users Unite!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2008 at 4:09pm
I like ramps too...

Actually it's a bit more complex.  In the legacy mapped mode three commands are sent (one for R, one for G and one for B).  To go from red to green would involve ramping the red channel down while the green channel goes up.  Easy enough, but...

To go from red to yellow while simultaneously heading toward black is much more complex.  Red is a linear ramp from on to off, but green must come up and then back down in a parabolic shape.  It would start upward at the opposite angle of red but gradually change angle until it hits the "crossover point" where it would begin a gradual descent with increasing angle until it is 1:1 with red at the end.  Lacking such a "parabola" prototype in the protocol, there just isn't a way to send this.  It must be simulated by breaking it into multiple commands in the editor. 
Pony_God View Drop Down

Quote Pony_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2008 at 5:41pm

Definately cool code to play with.

D-Light users Unite!
 Post Reply Post Reply