Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Scheduler Clunky

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jamory View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote jamory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scheduler Clunky
    Posted: 05 Dec 2008 at 10:26pm
When I play a sequence in the Sequencer, my lights run great.  But, when I use the Scheduler, the sequences are choppy, and clunky.  Fades are almost "instant ons" and some  commands are skipped completely.  It's like the PC running the show is completely bogged down...but only when using the Scheduler.  I've tried a Core 2 Duo PC running nothing else and also a laptop with the same results.  The laptop has only a 1.7 Gb proc and 512Mb ram and the sequence displays perfectly using the Sequencer.  If I use an old Spectrum file using the Spectrum Scheduler I don't have the problem.  I've played with the baud rate and had no better success.  I'm assuming I overlooked something obvious.  Anyone have any thoughts?
Comporder1 View Drop Down
DMX
DMX

Quote Comporder1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2008 at 10:04am

In my experience, the scheduler has been more accurate than the sequencer. Meaning the scheduler reproduces the sequence closer to what it should be.

So, it may be that it is the sequence that's a little choppy. Smile

but..... that is just my experience!
jamory View Drop Down

Quote jamory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2008 at 10:48am
I did think that at first so I checked the sequences.  There are 2 and 3 second fades that just "pop" on, but not all of them and not all of the time.  Also, some short events (1/2 second) get completely skipped sometimes.  I have a row of 8 mini trees that fade in at half second intervals.  Sometimes the first few will just come on after a hesitation and then the rest will fade in (but not smoothly and only when running with the scheduler).  I've disabled Virus scan and every other process that isn't necessary with no change.
Jonathan View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote Jonathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2008 at 11:08am
Carey is right.  Borealis is more accurate because as a simpler program than the sequencer it doesn't need to run a visualizer, calculate or display frames per second, etc.  One thing to consider is that when you are looking at the visualizer, those lights on the screen don't have any delay whereas the lights in your yard first have to get the command to turn on, apply power then illuminate. 

As for short events, remember that ramps that are .3 seconds or less will not register.  This is a firmware issue with the ACx16's and not a limitation of Aurora.  However, if you are seeing those events respond with the sequencer but not with scheduler then it could simply be a communication thing.  There are various settings that can be played around with in both the HW Utility and Aurora itself, but change them at your own risk. 

Thus far, even though I see every single missed command or timing that is off in my show, I'm the only one who notices. 

~Jonathan
jamory View Drop Down

Quote jamory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2008 at 11:27am
Thanks Jonathan, I agree.  But you would think I would have the opposite probem though.  When I use the sequencer and send the control to the lights the lights display as they should.  I'm not talking about the visualizer, I'm talking about the actual lights in the yard.  Since the sequencer has more overhead, you would think that it would run the actual show more choppy than the Scheduler.  I have the opposite problem. 
Comporder1 View Drop Down
DMX
DMX

Quote Comporder1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2008 at 12:00pm
I see what you are saying Jamory. I have not seen this or heard of anyone else has. In fact, what I have seen is exact opposite.... short ramps do not work in sequencer and do work in scheduler. Maybe someone else that knows more about it will chime in. (aka Micheal ;) )

Edited by Comporder1 - 06 Dec 2008 at 12:02pm
LightsOnLogan View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2008 at 6:32pm
I'm not sure what is happening with your Borealis. 

Aurora and Borealis actually use the exact same playback module.  The playback module has a conditional branch for each of the three modes of operation (lights, grid, and visualizer).  In Borealis the playback module actually does less than in Aurora because it is only processing one of those modes (lights).

You didn't mention in your original post... What version of Aurora/Borealis are you running?  Is this on XP or Vista?

jamory View Drop Down

Quote jamory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2008 at 9:27pm
Thank you everyone for responding, it was my own oversight.  The PC I do my sequencing on has an older version than the one that runs the show (and the other PC I tried it on).  I opened the sequences plenty of times in the sequencer on the show PC but never saved them, because they were complete.  It didn't occur to me that this was the problem at first because the sequencer sent the commands to the lights fine.  Once I opened and re-saved the sequences on the show PC the issue was resolved.  Thank you again.
 Post Reply Post Reply