Videos

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
bdkeen View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Online Status: Offline
  Quote bdkeen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2008 at 4:58pm
I've been getting alot of queries about the snowman - how did I build it, homany channels does it use, etc...

It uses 6 channels but could be done with 5 and wouldn't be able to see any difference. And if you want him just staring into space 1 less channel (no blinking eyes). I thought a random blink of the eyes would add a comical touch.

It's built through the magic of Lowes plumbing department..

Sequencing is fun because mouth movements can create a real event marker hash at times. Found it easier to sequence the mouth first then go back and sequence the actual music so those sequences that are more recent are better.
Jonathan View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote Jonathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2008 at 5:29pm
6 channels?  1 for open eyes, 1 for closed eyes, 1 for open mouth, one for closed mouth, 1 for the rest his body... what's #6?  I wanted something "to sing" like that for my shows, but I couldn't come up with anything I liked.  I just have my mega tree sequenced with W2E for the "singing parts".  (Too bad W2E doesn't work with every mega tree channel condensed to one channel like I currently have it.)  

The great thing about watching everyones videos is that I see so many great ideas that I want to incoporate into my own sequences or even great songs that I want to use next year. 
~Jonathan
bdkeen View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote bdkeen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2008 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by Jonathan

6 channels?  1 for open eyes, 1 for closed eyes, 1 for open mouth, one for closed mouth, 1 for the rest his body... what's #6? 

For some reason that I can't remember I put the hat on a seperate channel..  I think at one time I was going to have him tip his hat. Rather then addressing it in all sequences I just left it..  Something for next year perhaps as I refine our ideas and creations. Considering this is the first year I was afraid I might have taken too big a bite for a newcomer to sequencing. I think we did ok but there are a good number of things I want to improve and add more for next year. 

When I decided to do this I must have watched hundereds of videos many of them may have been from other forum members - hence I shared all sequences if for no other reason than a simple thank-you to all of you that provided me the seeds..  I think I saw a Vixen sequence where a big face talked - wife loved it, so I tried to take it the next step and put the face on a body. Circles were easy to make so the snowman was a natural. Who knows what might be talking in our front yard next yearLOL.. The snowman was a nice starting point and is something just a little different .. 
Pony_God View Drop Down

Quote Pony_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2008 at 8:45am
We loved the blinking eyes, that was just great! Totally wan't expecting that at all.
As for ideas, 2009 is already solidified. 2010 is partly planned... We can only buy so many controllers, lights, and install new AC circuits...
2009 we should have a megatree, better roof, more mini trees. and a sabertree.
Fine. You're so smart you rig up the lights.
D-Light users Unite!
bdkeen View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote bdkeen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2008 at 9:28am
I can feel a few more ACx16's for 2009..  Still trying to figure out where and how to justify FireFly(s).. Would like to try playing with DMX perhaps to see what pandora's box that might open LOL.
Pony_God View Drop Down

Quote Pony_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2008 at 9:36am

We're staying out of the DMX money-pit for now.

D-Light users Unite!
kedogn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote kedogn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2008 at 9:49am
Originally posted by bdkeen

I can feel a few more ACx16's for 2009.. 

Yeah, I would like a few, but considering everything that has happened, its gonna depend on how big my bonus is this next season at work and where we are living next year :)  But I would love to add some more rope light snow flakes and some leaping light arches, maybe a mega tree :)
BOOMER SOONER!

Lee Family Lights
Jonathan View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote Jonathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2008 at 10:28am
Mega trees are a must for displays. It's practically a law! (Just like using any TSO song.) Ermm

Honestly, I'm not too familiar with DMX; I don't even know what it stands for (although Wikipedia claims it's some rap artist).  What would be a good example (or two) for DMX for our shows?
~Jonathan
jberner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote jberner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2008 at 10:38am
DMX is used for foggers/snow on demand, controlling strobe speed, different styles of light, etc...

Think DJ show in a club and you get the idea...  Or go to a club and ask the DJ a million questions till he tells you to go away.  Give him a drink or three and he will teach you a little bit about it though.

It does get expensive.  The 4 700w strobes I bought were about $100 each and my fogger was another $250 to get something that covers a portion of my yard.  I intend on adding another this year at halloween to get the whole yard done rather than just 1/2.

Edited by jberner - 23 Dec 2008 at 10:40am
Pony_God View Drop Down

Quote Pony_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2008 at 11:05am
Well, this year it was mega-arch or mega-tree... We went with mega-arch. NEXT YEAR is mega-tree.
D-Light users Unite!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>