Joke of the Day - LSP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
LightChristmas View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Online Status: Offline
  Quote LightChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Joke of the Day - LSP
    Posted: 19 Dec 2008 at 1:04pm
Just tried that "new" sequencer that came out.

Yup. Its the same old, same old. Just a fresh coat of makeup.

Tried creating a sequence using the same # of controllers as I had under Spectrum - which caused it to jump and stutter on the timeline so badly, you couldn't get an accurate event marker placed. Same as it was before, Jump and stutter. And this was using a comp that is 3x as fast as the one used under Spectrum!

The playback area is just as cluttered as Spectrum was, even more so now. Color scheme was apparently drug induced.

So, save your time (unless you're really bored!).

Edited by LightChristmas - 19 Dec 2008 at 1:56pm

deweycooter View Drop Down
Development
Development

Quote deweycooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2008 at 1:11pm
Just a minor correction to your review.  You should hyphenate disease-ridden.
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote LightChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2008 at 1:18pm
Done.Wink

I really hope folks don't get hoodwinked. It would be a shame to have a potential "light-guru" give up in disgust.

LightsOnLogan View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2008 at 1:47pm

Let's be nice now...

Let's keep the discussion to the to the actual objective advantages/disadvantages of the product and refrain from the name calling.

And for the lawyer record... the views and opinions expressed on this forum are strictly those of the respective authors and not necessarily those of Aurorashow.com. 
Pony_God View Drop Down

Quote Pony_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2008 at 2:49pm
I'd like to point out a few thing about LSP... (and Aurora)

1. LSP has a lot of good marketing verbiage on thier site for thier product. I noticed that LSP is considered "The best Computerized christmas light sequencing software available.", although I'm not sure where that poll was taken though since it's not out of beta yet.

2. I think that after Aurora 1.1 is finalised, a break in application development should be taken to increase to marketability of www.aurorashow.com. Making Aurora look like the advanced, stable product that it is. We're doing the same thing to our application, holding off on new stuff to increase it's marketability and visual appeal to members. Now, I'm not saying to fluff up Aurora and slow it down, lets just spiff up the site with some testamonials, a cleaner site, and more marketing material. Possibly even an unbiased comparison grid of some sort.

3. I find it very interesting that there IS NO COMPANY INFORMATION ANYWHERE about who actually makes the product. Even their DNS is registered by "Domains by Proxy, Inc." -- Just very odd.

So is it what Spec2 was supposed to be?
Fine. You're so smart you rig up the lights.
D-Light users Unite!
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote LightChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2008 at 3:26pm
LSP is the rejected Spec2 with all the warts intact and a few new ones as well. Guy didn't even have the modesty to change the basic front-end. Asked the developer a few hard-ball questions after stating anyone with a little sense knew it was Spec2 with a new name (will it save reliably, supercomputer needed, better support on trouble tickets, etc.) on the PC forums back in Sept.. He went off on a rant and had the thread deleted - and did not answer a single question. I think that in itself speaks volumes for the integrity of the product and producer.

LightsOnLogan View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2008 at 3:37pm
I agree the web site needs work.  I'm not the best marketing person on the planet... that is for certain!  Feel free to post testimonials.

On another topic... anyone know a good SMTP smart host to have our SMTP server send/receive through?  I've traced our email problems down to the Cisco PIX firewall not handling the outbound NAT properly, which makes our emails appear to be coming from the firewall address, not from the SMTP server external address.  I've tried a dozen configuration adjustments and can't figure out why the firewall is messing up this one protocol (other protocols originate from the proper address just fine).  Some ISPs (like AOL) don't like the email coming from the firewall IP as they can't get an RDNS match.  My only choices are to figure out a working Cisco configuration or to run everything through a smart host.

Edited by LightsOnLogan - 19 Dec 2008 at 3:38pm
ChrisL1976 View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote ChrisL1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2008 at 4:16pm
Remember when Darryl posted screen shots of 2.0 back in August.....My memory serves me right,  I had seem that exact same screen before when I looked at LSP screenshots.

I'm waiting for people to start saying...my computer is running at 99% when I try to do something.

Edited by ChrisL1976 - 19 Dec 2008 at 5:46pm
Chris

www.lightsonsixth.com
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote LightChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2008 at 4:38pm
Here's how I have it set up at work:

INcoming T1 - Cisco 2600 Router - DNS Server - LInux-Based firewall - SMTP/e-mail server - Domain Server - VPN (pain in the butt) - FTP Server - XAN - SSAN - network.

Comporder1 View Drop Down
DMX
DMX

Quote Comporder1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2008 at 6:19pm
This is the guy who wrote it - http://www.graphxpros.com/index.html and yes its the same guy that wrote Spectrum.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>