Is this possible

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Rambler1 View Drop Down
Pre-Order User
Pre-Order User

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Rambler1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is this possible
    Posted: 07 Jan 2009 at 2:24pm
For next year I would like to hook up a speed radar device to a segment of lights. I would then like the lights to sequence at the same interval.
Example:
If a car drives by at 20 mph. I would like the lights to follow at the same speed. So if I had 10 strands spaced equally apart it would chase at 29 ft/sec

Example 2

---               0           0              0            0
car -> 20 mph
---

---               X           0              0            0
                 car -> 20 mph
---              

---               0           X             0            0
                             car -> 20 mph
---      

---               0           0             X            0
                                           car -> 20 mph
---

---               0           0             0            x
                                                        car -> 20 mph
---

Hope it makes sense

If you understand and can help it would be apreciated

Andy                                             

Edited by Rambler1 - 07 Jan 2009 at 2:25pm
If you're not in
You're out

deweycooter View Drop Down
Development
Development

Quote deweycooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2009 at 2:32pm
Yeah - it's possible - though you're I think you're looking at a custom-solution. 

You'd have to get the input from the radar device, then use your program to send the signals to the lights.  It would be very neat to do, but I'd wouldn't recommend it unless you've at least got a couple gold stars on a nerd badge that you only remove a couple times a year.  ;)
Slinkard View Drop Down
DMX
DMX

Quote Slinkard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2009 at 2:53pm
This IMHO will not work with our software. we sequence then replay a sequence, this would be live on the fly. you could easily do it with Boralis if (and this is only if my suspesion is correct) uses the windows media player (think how we can stream music when the show isnt going) you then convert the output of the radar to media wave( again now you are streaming what your radar gun is  outputing) then use a LORvis type plug in to output media player signal to d-light board.

Problems that immedaitely jump out at me are:
Converting radar output to a signal to stream.
The usb (IRQ) will be occuipied by the Boralis application so even if the LORvis plugin could work the scheduler will need to be re-programmed to give up the comms so that Windows media player could borrow it.

Net net you couldn't do this in the live while the show is running but it could be done. Now a stand alone application would be very easy to do. you would really only need to do a simple relay system and assign a simple value you for each MPH that would corrospond with the car actual travel/distance (simple). your above depiction is exactly how you would turn the relay on just turn the X into a 1 (00100000, 00010000, 00001000 and so on) I like where your heads at though!!!!!

Tell me whats wrong with my thinking!

Slink,

Edited by Slinkard - 07 Jan 2009 at 2:55pm

Coming soon www.computerizedlights.com
Development
Development

Quote deweycooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2009 at 3:10pm
Remember you have multiple USB ports that can be used, so there shouldn't be problems with ports already occupied (I think I remember that each can handle up to 256 devices at the same time...?).  If the speed program is ran concurrently with Borealis (shouldn't be a problem), I think it can be done if it's ran on a different "network", as can be done currently.

You'd need a separate USB dongle (network) for the speed program.  If you can't come up with an actual radar gun solution, then you could bounce a couple lasers across the road and determine speed by the time elapsed between the signal getting interrupted.  (Actually, this might be more precise since you'll know where the car is in addition to how fast it's going, so you'll have better control of when to start the sequence.) 

After determining the speed, you can calculate the rate at which to send the light signals out the USB port.  You could probably write that routine such that there is a fixed-length pause between each command sent out.  The speed of the car determines the length of the pause.

Edited by deweycooter - 07 Jan 2009 at 3:11pm
Pony_God View Drop Down

Quote Pony_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2009 at 3:43pm
Wouldn't it be easier to put 4 laser tripwires that triger a single section?
Fine. You're so smart you rig up the lights.
D-Light users Unite!
Slinkard View Drop Down
DMX
DMX

Quote Slinkard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2009 at 3:56pm
But ......

My controllers are using the same network and are daisy chained. but I see your point. you still got to remember that the scheduler is actually just executing a index or playlist it does not do control anything other then the order that it plays in (hence dont make any changes to the order while the scheduler is going.

But ....

You might be able to have it schedule and execute a preplanned seq (a fade that goes the length of your front fence) when triggered?

Whats wrong with my thinking?
Slink

Rambler1 View Drop Down
Pre-Order User
Pre-Order User

Quote Rambler1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2009 at 4:00pm
I put this in the off topic, not planning on using sequencing software.
If you're not in
You're out

Slinkard View Drop Down
DMX
DMX

Quote Slinkard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2009 at 4:23pm
do you want to have this running during a show with a dlight board? like having a an arch in a str8 line across the top of your fence? that follows at the pass of the car. If you don't plan to have this operate with your show I would go with something that has to do with the relays and a simple on off feature as explained above. You could still run this off the same computer but use Vixen to drive this part of your display. I have an 8 port "kit74" (google it) that would actually work well for this. it would require a software build out maybe. I haven't seen what Vixen can do these days as I am completly satified with the way Aurora runs my show. But you may want to look at it as a solution.

Slink

Development
Development

Quote deweycooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2009 at 7:15pm
I'm just thinking a separate program and network since a passing car is a bit random as is the speed.  Trying to tie that into an existing sequence might make it a lot trickier - then you start messing with the timing of the sequence - how should that affect the way the music plays...?

Multiple trips are great and as long as you only have 4 sections, it's probably the simplest solution.  But as the number of channels/trips goes up, you have additional expense.  I'm completely guessing about the nature of your display, but I'd like to see at least 8 or 10 channels (perhaps an entire 16 ch controller?) dedicated to this feature because as you get smoother effects as the channel count increases. Also, being able to put the trips upstream 20 or 30 yards would be nice since you can "lead" the cars by a little - would make it more obvious to the driver who might otherwise miss the effect if it's right next to the car.

In the end, it could be an expensive effect.  Keep channel usage, extension cords (how long is this run?), and trip mechanisms in mind.  All the same, it would probably turn out very cool if you have enough channels and would be fun to figure out.  :D
Rambler1 View Drop Down
Pre-Order User
Pre-Order User

Quote Rambler1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2009 at 7:48pm
Any suggestion on what I could use as a trip mechanism? 
If you're not in
You're out

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>