LED Matrix Sign Plug-in

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
cstrang View Drop Down
Pre-Order User
Pre-Order User

Online Status: Offline
  Quote cstrang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LED Matrix Sign Plug-in
    Posted: 12 Jan 2009 at 2:21pm
Charles
bdkeen View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote bdkeen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2009 at 8:56am
I like that!  I used an Alpha BigDOT LED display for 1 of 2 radio signs.  I believe I tried running it on RS232 and streaming in the data but wasn't really happy with the display I could produce (I really didn't spend enough time with it) so hard coded the message via the remote control. Would be cool to somhow 'plug into Aurora' somehow.

Initially I'm thinking that with all the various brands and types of LED signs there might be a little problem trying to satisfy all of us that might use one. But I really like the idea! Sort of a RDS for Aurora!
deweycooter View Drop Down
Development
Development

Quote deweycooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2009 at 10:14am
RDS - yeah, that's probably the right approach to take.  The plug-in would let you send text out a specified port as an event. 

I'm anxious to see what Michael has planned for the plug-in support. 
cstrang View Drop Down
Pre-Order User
Pre-Order User

Quote cstrang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2009 at 11:41pm

I got the board from this outfit:

and built a custom board and code for a Parallax Propeller microcontroller to run it.  The microcontrolloler has enough power to run the board, do serial comms, command processing and still have 5 of the 8 processors available for tasks.  I already have the comms working and will most likely have the code for processing the LOR protocol by the end of this week.  For about $120 anyone could have this type of display running.  Code will be freely available for anyone that is interested as well as the board design for the controller board.

I would be willing to develop the plugin, but I would need a good example of how one is made.  It will probably take me 3 times as long to develop it than it would take someone that knows what they are doing.  The cool thing about this idea is that it piggy backs on the existing RS485 network we are already running for the light controllers.

Smile

Charles S.
Charles
deweycooter View Drop Down
Development
Development

Quote deweycooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2009 at 8:24am
Maybe we'll collaborate a bit - I'm interested in adding some DIY boards to the display this year (Renard24) which would mean adding a new protocol.  I'd be going in blind as well, but I can't imagine it'll be too terribly hard.
ErnestTeel View Drop Down

Quote ErnestTeel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2012 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by bdkeen

I like that!  I used an Alpha BigDOT     led strip blue led strip 12v led strip 12v display for 1 of 2 radio signs.  I believe I tried running it on RS232 and streaming in the data but wasn't really happy with the display I could produce (I really didn't spend enough time with it) so hard coded the message via the remote control. Would be cool to somhow 'plug into Aurora' somehow.

Initially I'm thinking that with all the various brands and types of LED signs there might be a little problem trying to satisfy all of us that might use one. But I really like the idea! Sort of a RDS for Aurora!

led strip!
 Post Reply Post Reply