Scrolling Large Text across a grid of 16 poles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
JonB256 View Drop Down
DMX
DMX

Online Status: Offline
  Quote JonB256 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2009 at 11:13pm
I'm not sure why I didn't think about it until I tried putting the letter "H" across the matrix, but did you know that scrolling text (in English, anyway) should move from Right to Left? Once that sank in, I re-ordered my poles. Now, #1 is on the far right, #16 on the far left.

Because I'm a creature of habit, I did still number the channels from #1 at the bottom to #8 at the top. The next pole became #9 at the bottom, #16 at the top. Because of that, I had a problem with the letters. First I did an H. No problem. It would easily move from right to left just by copy/pasting a single cell to the right. Then I did an O. No problem.

H O scrolled just fine.

Then I added a P and and E   but ran into a slight problem. Because I put the channels from bottom to top, numerically, P and E were noticeably "upside-down." It didn't show up with the H and the O because they are the same either way. To fix, I could renumber all the poles or I could just draw the P and E upside down. I chose the latter.

So now (and I'll post a video soon), I can already scroll HOPE and CURE across my matrix. It was remarkably easy once I fixed my early mistakes.

More to come! Thanks for all the help.

Slinkard - your layout would possibly work, but would be a very inefficient use of power cords. Easiest construction will be to put a 16 channel controller between each pair of poles.

Edited by JonB256 - 11 Feb 2009 at 11:16pm
JonB - D-Light user
Slinkard View Drop Down
DMX
DMX

Quote Slinkard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2009 at 8:28am
Yeah, I noted the SPT1.
To fix the "Mirror" effect just flip you channels in Aurora i.e:
  Turns into
1                16
2                15
3                14

Then you'll have it. Gotta remember that when doing text you are literally look at a mirror when working in Aurora.

Slink

Coming soon www.computerizedlights.com
JonB256 View Drop Down
DMX
DMX

Quote JonB256 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2009 at 9:12am
OK, I've spent more time with this (plus the time to get more familiar with Aurora).

The link below will open a file directory. The "Jon letter test.dls" file is the file to download. It should offer to "Save" and "Open" now that the server knows what a DLS file is.

There is also a "Letter Test 2.dls" file that is new and works much better.

If you play this (I had music behind it but it wasn't "synchronized" at all) you will notice that the first sets of letters are too skinny and may be hard to read as they scroll. Later, there are some "H" demos, one is double-wide, one is triple-wide. The double-wide may be the size of choice.

Testing continue.  I still have to build the stupid poles and engineer a good method of anchoring them to bleacher seats.  I can borrow enough controllers for the 128 channels this will consume but I'll need some more by Christmas.

Edited by JonB256 - 14 Feb 2009 at 7:57am
JonB - D-Light user
ChrisL1976 View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote ChrisL1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2009 at 10:48am
Cant remove the GIF status here.  It brings it in as a GIF file and drops the GIF off the file name so I cant erase it.  Anyone else get it to work?
Chris

www.lightsonsixth.com
JonB256 View Drop Down
DMX
DMX

Quote JonB256 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2009 at 11:08am
All fixed now, it appears. DLS files are now allowed by my server.

Edited by JonB256 - 14 Feb 2009 at 7:58am
JonB - D-Light user
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote ChrisL1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2009 at 11:41am
I tried it on both FF and IE.  I'll try it at lunch on my laptop and see what happens
Chris

www.lightsonsixth.com
Bigindian View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote Bigindian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2009 at 6:23pm
Chris and Jon,

You both have mail about this subject. 

Chris, follow the link to the file

cheers

David
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote ChrisL1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2009 at 9:35pm
Thanks David, that worked great
Chris

www.lightsonsixth.com
JonB256 View Drop Down
DMX
DMX

Quote JonB256 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2009 at 10:02pm
Now I have something worthwhile completed.

Here's a YouTube shot of the Aurora screen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcLbfjIWx8A

Since there are 16 vertical poles with 8 segments each, that is an array of 128 pixels. On the Aurora Visualizer, I used the Mini-Tree tool to draw my 128 lights.

I'll post the latest Aurora file in the same folder as I did above (with the same naming workaround until they fix the MIME problem at the root of it.

Edited by JonB256 - 14 Feb 2009 at 7:59am
JonB - D-Light user
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote ChrisL1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2009 at 12:20am
Looks great Jon!!!
Chris

www.lightsonsixth.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>