Next Update Release Scheduled?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
cstrang View Drop Down
Pre-Order User
Pre-Order User

Online Status: Offline
  Quote cstrang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Next Update Release Scheduled?
    Posted: 16 Feb 2009 at 4:21pm
Is there a schedule for the next update.  As it stands, I can NOT work with the sequencer on my vista machine.  I have a virtual XP machine that I use in my vista laptop to be able to edit and modify my sequences.  On vista, I can't get most sequences to open.  I am also waiting for the "grouping" of channels or timing marks or both!  I think that grouping will make sequencing much easier.  The pasting could also use some touch-ups.  I know ya'll don't like to commit to dates, but can we have a general month for the next release that hopefully fixes some of the problems?

Don't get me wrong, Aurora is a whole lot better than spectrum or LOR on their own or put together.  If Aurora somehow achieves all the tasks put forth, maybe even LOR will begin to look at using Aurora as a replacement software...  Just need to work out the few kinks with the sequencer.  Thanks for all the hard work!

Edited by cstrang - 16 Feb 2009 at 4:23pm
Charles
Tony Furst View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote Tony Furst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2009 at 4:33pm
Charles,
I am surprised you are unable to run Aurora within Vista, I am running Aurora on a Vista home premium Dell Studio Laptop with an Intel core 2 duo at 2.0 Ghz with 3 GB ram.  Have not had any issues running the software or opening sequences created here or on my older XP dinosaur machine.

Tony
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup
ChrisL1976 View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote ChrisL1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2009 at 4:41pm
I'm betting it may be something with the virtual xp machine on the Vista laptop. I run Aurora on 3 computers, my OLD P4 xp, my newer xp at work and my vista laptop and have never had any issue with swapping files in between the 3.

Is there a particular reason your running the Vista machine as a virtual XP machine? Specific non-vista program you need to run on the laptop?

P.S.   I highly doubt LOR will ever dumb their software. 
Chris

www.lightsonsixth.com
JonB256 View Drop Down
DMX
DMX

Quote JonB256 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2009 at 7:28pm
Chris, not sure if that qualifies as a Freudian slip, but did you mean "dump" their software????
JonB - D-Light user
bdkeen View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote bdkeen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2009 at 7:33pm
Like others I've been running fine on Vista Ultimate on a Acer 5461. Also running on a Asus motherboard system under XP Pro. My '08 show ran on the Vista box.  But sharing of the sequences for editing or playing has been fine on both. The diferences in the OS hasn't caused any issues at all for me.

Edited by bdkeen - 16 Feb 2009 at 7:36pm
JonB256 View Drop Down
DMX
DMX

Quote JonB256 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2009 at 8:43pm
The only Vista (Ultimate is what I have installed) issue I had was that I had to add Aurora to the Data Execution Prevention list. Once done, it has worked well. I've had to add several other programs, too, so Aurora isn't special for that.
JonB - D-Light user
MrChristmas2000 View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote MrChristmas2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2009 at 9:01pm
I did some of my sequencing on a Vista Premium machine before Christmas and then ran it on my show machine running XP Home. No problems actually running on Vista.

I would like to see an update announcement for getting development announcments underway.

Holding breath for DMX.
ChrisL1976 View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote ChrisL1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2009 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by JonB256

Chris, not sure if that qualifies as a Freudian slip, but did you mean "dump" their software????

Yeah, they probably wont dump it either.....LOL
Chris

www.lightsonsixth.com
cstrang View Drop Down
Pre-Order User
Pre-Order User

Quote cstrang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2009 at 11:55pm

Chris...

I'm running an XP virtual in my vista home premium laptop.  The only reason I have the XP virtual in my Vista laptop is for the sole purpose of running Aurora.  Aurora was running fine upto some point in November on my laptop, but then Aurora started getting stuck on the "decomposing data for editing...." section (got about 1/3 of the way and did not advance from there).  One time I allowed it to do whatever it was doing for 1 hour, but it did not finish loading.  I tried reloading Aurora and that seemed to work for a bit and then it would start getting stuck again. 

My way of getting unstuck to carry on with my editing and sequencing was to make a clean virtual and install Aurora.  That worked all through Xmas, but it is a pain and it is somewhat slower.  At various times I have tried to open sequences under Vista with the same results.  As an afterthought to writing this reply I decided to open one of the sequences that I was never able to open with Vista, and guess what, it opened... Go figure.

I'm not sure if there was an update or some other application that I installed during that time frame, but I was happy with being able to edit the sequences in my XP virtual.  I did not make a stink then and my intention was not to make a big stink of it now...  I would just like to know when to expect the next update. 

The problem I am/was experiencing was reported several times in the forums with various suggested fixes (i.e. uninstalling and reinstalling aurora, which worked for a bit).  I tried some of these fixes, but since I could run in the virtual, I decided to wait for the next update for a possible fix....

For reference I am running Vista home Pro SP1 on a HP DV9700 with a core 2 duo  2.0GHz processor, 2 GB of RAM and the OS is fully patched.  This is my main workstation, and it has several applications loaded that I use regularly.  My shows ran from my desktop and both the Aurora sequencer and scheduler ran without any problems.  That desktop is a core 2 quad 2.66GHz with 2GB of ram running XP Pro SP2 and fully patched to just before SP3 (did not want to possibly break my scheduling PC!!!). 

The virtual machine is running a clean install of XP Pro SP3, fully patched with no other applications installed.  I am using VMware player and related files.

Thanks,

Edited by cstrang - 16 Feb 2009 at 11:56pm
Charles
MrChristmas2000 View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote MrChristmas2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2009 at 6:31am
Your post jogged my memory.

I had a very similar problem during one of the version transitions. As it turned out I kept trying to load a sequence that had become corrupted. So many thing s were going on during that time to remember the exact sequence of events but I believe it took a fresh start with a new sequence file to eliminate the loading problem.

I know that rebuilding a sequence file is a pain but it did solve the loading and a few other editing problems.

Holding breath for DMX.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>