Aurora Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Aurora Sequencer Software > Aurora & DMX
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

DMX is almost here!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Poll Question: Are you planning to use DMX with Aurora this year?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
22 [44.90%]
27 [55.10%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MrChristmas2000 View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Online Status: Offline
  Quote MrChristmas2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2010 at 3:21pm
That is correct. LE is the Lynx Express and found over at diylightanimation.com.

It's a light controller that uses the DMX data protocol to communicate from the PC to the controller instead of the LOR/d-light data protocol. The physical connections look the same but electrically and data wise they ARE different. One exception is the LOR product which can sense DMX vs LOR protocol but the cable wiring on the DMX side is just a little different. The cost per channel with a Lynx product is significantly lower than commercial products because YOU build it. The DMX protocol can also be used to operate very fancy light and mechanical devices as well. It is used by all professional stage lighting companies to run all those wild light shows at concerts.

Holding breath for DMX.
deweycooter View Drop Down
Development
Development

Quote deweycooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2010 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by Slinkard

Hey, what is the benefit of running DMX? I am trying to see if there is a reason for me to run it? Currently I am doing just d-light boards and it seems to be okay. what are the added benefits to the DMX aspect and how does it relate too Christmas Lighting?

Sorry not a newb to lighting but am to DMX.

how about ... this?

BigDPS View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote BigDPS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2010 at 5:04pm
I like those lpg thingys. It sure looks nice. Wouldn't want to have them running all the time but for certain songs, heck yeah!

Slinkard View Drop Down
DMX
DMX

Quote Slinkard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2010 at 12:03pm
That and the cost of them and then the recharges BUT Def. cool!

So will that type "Stage" equipment only work with DMX?

I have some snow blowers that have DMX inputs but I just hook them up to a kit74 relay board that I activate via a channel on my D-light board. reason for this is the pull damn near 15 amps by themselves.

Slink

Coming soon www.computerizedlights.com
Pony_God View Drop Down

Quote Pony_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2010 at 8:08am
Anyone want to give a comparison/overview of the Lynx products?
I'm guessing the Express is basically an ACx16, What's that 128 channel Freestyle?
Fine. You're so smart you rig up the lights.
D-Light users Unite!
deweycooter View Drop Down
Development
Development

Quote deweycooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2010 at 9:01am
I'd say the best comparison of the Express is the ACx16 - they have differences, but when it's all said and done, they're both 16-channel dimmers.

I think the Freestyle can drive your $/channel down even more, but there's more to the decision.  First the SSRs are not on board - they are separate (which could mean separate enclosures depending on where you locate them).  You do have to run cat5 and power to each SSR to control its 4 channels. 

This could be good if you have a pile of channels that are physically far apart.  You could really see some savings in extension cords by using the Freestyle (remember not just $$ savings, but also storage savings).   Group the channels in groups of 4, run cat5 and power to the SSR, then a short extension cord to each of the 4 channels from the SSR board.

I've never bothered to try to do the math - finding out how much I'd save with a FS vs 4 LEs.  You'd also have to consider extra vampire plugs and cat5 costs... And I've always been a bit turned off by the thought of having to manage/deal with that many more enclosures.  Confused  I may have a use for one this year... we'll see.  Smile
Slinkard View Drop Down
DMX
DMX

Quote Slinkard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2010 at 11:27am
Yeah - I used to do a complete DIY system. I actually found when it was all said and done that buy D-light boards when they went on sale was actually cheaper then building out 595's.

Mostly this is based on the amount of my time invested. It takes me about 1 hour to completely build out mount and test a gold edition. While it takes me the better half of a month to completely do a 595 plus build out all the SSR and SSR boxes. Thats why I ended up switching although I had serious doubts about that move back in 2007 while going through the great Software Debacle!

Just my 2cents and really not even related to this topic sorry...

Coming soon www.computerizedlights.com
tonyjmartin View Drop Down

Quote tonyjmartin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2011 at 12:52am
Originally posted by LightsOnLogan

Most of the differences are "under the hood" so to speak.  For Christmas lighting, the D-Light and LOR protocols are actually better suited for the purpose and less CPU intensive than DMX (because the controller hardware does the FX rendering, whereas DMX only knows one command: intensity... everything else has to be software rendered), but DMX does have some rather nifty toys to play with as well as some rather inexpensive controller kits out there.

So many promises in this thread ($54 Ethernet/DMX adapter, hardware utility for D-Light within Aurora, etc.)  And so many opinions that are polar opposites of today, like above.  So much for supporting the loyal long-term D-Light/Aurora users who contributed to this thread.  I suspect that most would have been happy if they could just have had their shows run reliably.  Are new software sales to power users participating in the RGB pixel fad really expected to eclipse those who merely desired a robust and easy-to-use sequencing program?

One thing about fads... they pass.
Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ChrisL1976 View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote ChrisL1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 8:20am
Seriously, dragging up a post that is 6 months old? Really?  You must live in a world and a economy that never changes.   If you think RGB is just a fad, you have not been following any of the boards in the last 12 months. Been to many Mini's lately?  Been to many big box store during Christmas? RGB is pushing into this hobby like a freight train. Besides that, the obvious cost analysis of going to RGB verse trying to equal that in straight LED's is getting much closer. You know I think I remember a few people saying the same thing about LED's about 5-6 years ago. 

Of course there is nothing wrong with not using RGB or not using LED's even. I just met a guy at the ICE mini this weekend who does not use LED or RGB and his display is beautiful.  Is RGB the end all tool for our hobby, of course not. It is also not a tool that support for it can be ignored especially by the most important piece of equipment in the entire show.  Newbie like the idea of RGB and will require it before a software pourchase, many of the user like the idea of using RGB, there is no choice but to support it.
Chris

www.lightsonsixth.com
tonyjmartin View Drop Down

Quote tonyjmartin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 9:05am
Originally posted by ChrisL1976

Newbie like the idea of RGB and will require it before a software pourchase, many of the user like the idea of using RGB, there is no choice but to support it.

I would prefer that this be in addition to, not in lieu of, existing customers.
Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>