THX Intro

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MarkDXB View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote MarkDXB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: THX Intro
    Posted: 16 Sep 2009 at 7:14am
Just browsed Jonathans 2008 sequences..They are Fab.. Where did you find that THX intro song from?
Jonathan View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote Jonathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2009 at 1:05am
I made it myself.  No, really, I did.

Most people use the standard "flying robot" version shown in theaters, but I didn't like the flying robot sound and so after the explosion I edited sounds from various Disneyland attractions into it.  I never re-shot the video on that one, but I changed it slightly so that instead of going completely dark the firefly lights remained "broken" until Gomer got us back up and running again.  (Kudos to those who know who Gomer is.)

And I bet that's not what you expected to learn, was it?  Wink
~Jonathan
ChrisL1976 View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote ChrisL1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2009 at 10:50am
I just recorded mine from one of our Disney movies using Audacity.....But I know many people just....Ermm ..ummm....borrow them from Youtube. 
Chris

www.lightsonsixth.com
Jonathan View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote Jonathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2009 at 1:51pm
Not to shine light on the industry's dirty little secret, but I haven't been able to do that with Vista or Windows 7 (via Audacity), just with XP.  I'm not talking about downloading FLV files via Firefox's add-ons, but the audio itself.  I'm pretty sure I took the raw THX audio from PonyGod's video (thanks for that PonyGod, btw) because it was easier than getting it from one of my own movies. 
~Jonathan
ChrisL1976 View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote ChrisL1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2009 at 3:59pm
yeah...I cant get Audacity to record worth a dam from my Vista Laptop either.  Even using the microphone.   I use my XP machine for all that work. 
Chris

www.lightsonsixth.com
Phunkeydude View Drop Down

Quote Phunkeydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2009 at 11:14pm
I downloaded several THX mp3 samples from this website:

Look near the bottom of the page and you will see all the different THX files.
Pony_God View Drop Down

Quote Pony_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2009 at 9:43pm

Good mics and a good THX stereo...

If you notice, My Into's been pulled form YouTube though... Most everything's been pulled actually.
Fine. You're so smart you rig up the lights.
D-Light users Unite!
Jonathan View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote Jonathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2009 at 10:55pm
I did a little research and I found out how you can beat that (YouTube pulling videos down). 
If your video Falls under the Fair Copyright Use Act, then you are ok.  All you need to prove 4 points:
  1. the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;
  2. the nature of the copyrighted work;
  3. the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and
  4. the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.
With YouTube, they have a counter-notification page where you can submit a rebuttal to the copyright holder's demand to have your video removed.  So long as your statement proves the above four points have been met, YouTube will reinstate the video. 

I wrote:  "This video is for educational purposes purposes only and features a not-for-profit light show performance.  The nature of the copyrighted work that falls under the fair use copyright act is the musical score; all other work shown is my original work.  The effect of the use upon the potential market for (or value of) the copyrighted work is such that the original artist benefits from this video as more potential customers that are viewing this video (for training purposes to create their own light shows) are exposed to the audio used and full credit is given to the artist in both the actual performance as well as in the video information box to inform potential customers of the audio used. As such, the four criteria regarding fair trade usage have been met and this video and/or it's soundtrack has therefore been removed in error."

If you do file a counter-notification claim, I'd suggest following my template but suit it towards your needs.

I also have tutorials on how to do what we do posted as well, so my case is bolstered a bit.  But the three videos I did not write that statement for were disabled (I only wrote, "This video is for entertainment / non profit purposes only; and since I own the original media it therefore falls under the fair use copyright act.", and right now in fact YouTube is processing my snail mailed DCMA counter notification on those videos, which is basically challenging their decision to remove the videos after the counter notification was denied. 

Basically, the bottom line is that copyright holders are trying to intimidate and scare you into doing nothing, which is sad.  WMG even removed multimedia from TSO's own website, and TSO owns the copyright!  But the law is clearly on our side, and with a little bit of research you can win this fight.
~Jonathan
Pony_God View Drop Down

Quote Pony_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2009 at 9:59pm
Yea.... They REALLY don't like that THX audio clip up there... There's no options to fight back

Your video, THX - Intro , may include content that is owned or licensed by these content owners:

• Content owner: THX Ltd. Type: Audiovisual content

If you believe this claim was made in error, or that you are otherwise authorized to use the content at issue, you may file a counter notice.

http://www.google.com/support/youtube/bin/answer.py?answer=59826
Fine. You're so smart you rig up the lights.
D-Light users Unite!
Jonathan View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote Jonathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2009 at 10:50pm
Actually, there is a way to fight back, and you posted the link. For the videos I had removed that I didn't win on my counter notification, I sent them a written letter via snail mail.  If you look at the reply I got back, you'll see that you can fight back.  YouTube wants you to fight back, they even tell you how to do it and what site to go to to generate the proper documents. 
Thank you for your counter-notification. It has been forwarded to the
party that sent the takedown notification. If we receive no response, your
material will be restored between 10 and 14 business days from today.

Sincerely,

The YouTube Team
~Jonathan
 Post Reply Post Reply