Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

What happens at startup

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Forthekids View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Forthekids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What happens at startup
    Posted: 21 Sep 2009 at 3:13pm

I'm new to computerized lighting this year and am considering buying Aurora (vs LOR).  Something that is important in our display is turning on all lights with a single switch.  With a static display that is easy, but what happens with Aurora?  Can I turn on to a static display and later enable the sequence?

We will be using D-light controllers.  I appreciate any advice.
deweycooter View Drop Down
Development
Development

Quote deweycooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2009 at 3:16pm
Your "static display mode" would simply be a sequence with all the channels set to ON.  Say you wanted 30 min of static - you just create a sequence of dead air that is 30 minutes long.
Forthekids View Drop Down

Quote Forthekids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2009 at 3:18pm
So the computer sequence would already be running?  Our switch would just turn on the power to the lights which then read the already sequence?

Thanks for the quick reply.
deweycooter View Drop Down
Development
Development

Quote deweycooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2009 at 3:22pm
Let's say you have 3 songs, and you want to run them all night with 30 minutes of static display between them.  In the scheduler, you would schedule the lights to come on at 6 pm and off at 9 pm.  During that time, it would play 4 sequences repeatedly:  your 3 songs and your static sequence. 

That would give you the behavior you're looking for.  And it would do it automatically every night.  :)
ChrisL1976 View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote ChrisL1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2009 at 3:58pm
Just think of each controller as 16 off/on switches.  If you have 4 controllers, you just have 64 off/on switches and so on.  Now that is a bit basic since you can dim, shimmer, and twinkle as well, but that is the general idea.  When you create a sequence, basically you are just telling each of the 16 channels on the controller when to turn off and on.   I run a 30 minute static show before my animated show runs. As said above, I just create a 30 minute silent sequence with all my channels on.  Thats is my start-up sequence.

In the scheduler program "Borealis", it has a place to add a start-up sequence and a end sequence.  It will only play this sequence at the very beginning of your show and at the end of your show.  So like with my show, my 30 minute static sequence only runs once a night.   My other animated sequences will loop over and over until it reaches the end of the show time.  Then my end sequences will play.  For this, I have a short thank you to my crowd which ends the night out.  
Chris

www.lightsonsixth.com
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote ChrisL1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2009 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by Forthekids

So the computer sequence would already be running?  Our switch would just turn on the power to the lights which then read the already sequence?

Thanks for the quick reply.

You actually just leave the power to the controller turned on all the time. The only time I un-plug mine is during rain and thats just more of a pre-caution.   The lights get there power from the controllers.  The controllers will not turn on the lights unless your computer is telling them to.  So the only time your lights will be on is when your show is running.

If you have power to your controllers and your computer is left on, you dont have to be at home at all. The show will run itself. 

Edited by ChrisL1976 - 21 Sep 2009 at 4:08pm
Chris

www.lightsonsixth.com
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote ChrisL1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2009 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by Forthekids

I'm new to computerized lighting this year and am considering buying Aurora (vs LOR).  Something that is important in our display is turning on all lights with a single switch.  With a static display that is easy, but what happens with Aurora?  Can I turn on to a static display and later enable the sequence?

We will be using D-light controllers.  I appreciate any advice.

With your lights linked to the controller.  Whether its Aurora or LOR, you will never just flip a switch and turn on your lights.   Everything will now be computer controlled.  The closest your will get now to a off/on switch is D-lights hardware utility program which lets your link to the controllers and test the functions,  On/Off, shimmer, fade, twinkle.  From there, you can just turn them on and off.  BUT as far as day to day running, let Aurora handle that.    
Chris

www.lightsonsixth.com
 Post Reply Post Reply