Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Clear Type Fonts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
gtxl1200 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote gtxl1200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clear Type Fonts
    Posted: 23 Sep 2009 at 5:30pm
I can not believe no one else is having this problem. I used the search option also and did not find that anyone else mentioned this problem. Whenever I use Aurora. I have to reset my Options under windows to use clear type fonts.
Happens on both my desktop running Vista and my laptop running XP so it isnt just a one version of windows issue.

ChrisL1976 View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote ChrisL1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2009 at 5:42pm
What exactly is this causing?     I use this on both XP and Vista and have never come across this issue.
Chris

www.lightsonsixth.com
gtxl1200 View Drop Down

Quote gtxl1200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2009 at 5:49pm
Maybe Im the only one that uses clear type fonts. There is an option, deep inside windows settings. To set as USE Clear Type Fonts. It make all the words and your screen look real crisp and sharp. When not using Clear type fonts. They look, I don't know how to describe it, but their not sharp it is almost like you have your printer set on its lowest print settings and it is real low on ink. That is about the best way I can explain it.
Jonathan View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote Jonathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2009 at 12:27am
"Fuzzy" is the word you are looking for.  I use Clear Type fonts on my XP laptop and have had no issues. 

What does, "reset options" mean?  Is the program not showing a font, showing it incorrectly, or what?
~Jonathan
gtxl1200 View Drop Down

Quote gtxl1200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2009 at 5:13pm
I mean every time I use Aurora. I have to go back into Windows setting and reset it, to use Clear type fonts. Not a major problem does not effect the workings. Just a pain to do it everytime.
Jonathan View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote Jonathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2009 at 11:13pm
So merely opening Aurora somehow causes the CTF to unset itself?
~Jonathan
gtxl1200 View Drop Down

Quote gtxl1200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2009 at 5:46am
Originally posted by Jonathan

So merely opening Aurora somehow causes the CTF to unset itself?

Yes.

For some reason I'm the only one with this issue. Strange but true. Like I said it does it on both machines with different OS
Jonathan View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote Jonathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2009 at 7:43am
The only thing I can recommend is to wait just a bit longer.  An upgraded program is soon to be released, and a lot of issues will be solved.
~Jonathan
LightsOnLogan View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2009 at 8:48am
This is a known issue (until now, I think myself and one other person are the only ones who noticed it) and isn't limited to Aurora either.  It actually involves any font which does not include a "font hinting" table.  Use of "Clear Type" requires that all fonts in use have font hinting embedded within the font file.  In other words, Clear Type only works with certain fonts (not all fonts support Clear Type).  Aurora includes a font used for displaying music symbols for various audio views and W2E, however this font does not contain a hinting table.  Exactly how your computer will handle this situation can vary.

I looked into adding hinting to the font file, but it is quite an involved process that it seems few know much about (and those who do charge a lot of $$ to do the hinting).  The plan has been to remove the font entirely and to switch to just bitblt-ing the symbols from a rasterized source, but doing so has been tabled for inclusion in a release that focuses on the user interface and not on functionality (this hits more of the UI appearance code than the functional foundation). 

You might have noticed that since 0.5 the Aurora focus is about 85% function and 15% user interface (eye candy).  1.2 is a release that is once again entirely focused on the foundation (adding protocols, fixing long standing bugs, expanding the plugin architecture, etc.)  As a result, the font hinting will not be fixed in 1.2.  We do have an eye candy update in the early stages of discussion for 2010 which will include fixing the font hinting issue.
 Post Reply Post Reply