Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Lights to controller?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Buckeyelights View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Buckeyelights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lights to controller?
    Posted: 31 Oct 2009 at 8:47pm
Newbie advice requested on sending lights to controller.

This is my first attempt at sending lights to a controller and of course, the first try didn’t work. Cry

Tries #2, 3 & 4 didn't do any better.

I am using LOR hardware w/ Aurora software, running Vista. I have 5 LOR CTB16PC controllers, 4 w/ 16 channels & 1 w/ 8 channels for a total of 72 channels.  No DMX or video just lights running.

My guess is I have something incorrectly set-up, either under Channel Properties or how the controllers are hooked up.  Here is what I have done:

Under Channel Properties – Device options:

network segment? All of my networks are set to #1. My thought is that I have one network.

Device ID? This is the # of my controller, correct? So my first controller is #1, second #2 and so on.

Controller hook-up:

Inside the controller there are 3 connection points in a row for the cat 5 cable.  From L >R, 1st one is too small for a cat5 connector, it appears to be the size for a phone connection. That leaves connection points #2 (middle) & #3 (right) for usable connections.

Does the cat5 cable from the laptop to the 1st controller go into the 2nd or 3rd connection point?

Then to connect the 1st controller to the 2nd controller, which connection points should I use?

What is kind of weird is that during a test, I did get the lights on controller 1, channel 1 to light for the first event only, but not again and no other lights came on.  

I know everyone is extremely busy, as it is about 30 days to lights on for your shows.  So your time and advice is especially appreciated.  But hey you get an extra hour tonight :-)

Really thanks in advance for your help. The support I get here is beyond my expectations.

Thanks!!!

Joe

JohnnyL View Drop Down
Pre-Order User
Pre-Order User

Quote JohnnyL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2009 at 8:58pm
do you have the serial ports set correctly in Aurora?  settings/serial networks?
"In God We Trust" all others pay cash

Quote Buckeyelights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2009 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by JohnnyL

do you have the serial ports set correctly in Aurora?  settings/serial networks?

Well, I think so; here's the setting:
Network 1; COM Port 4; data rate 56000

Tks!
Joe
BigDPS View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote BigDPS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2009 at 6:34am
First thing I'd check in the control panel/hardware device, is check what com port is in the USB port section. I've seen mine not match what I had under Aurora.

Quote Buckeyelights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2009 at 10:42am
Originally posted by BigDPS

First thing I'd check in the control panel/hardware device, is check what com port is in the USB port section. I've seen mine not match what I had under Aurora.

I checked to be sure and under control panel/device manager it indicates that the USB serial port is COM4; so I have the correct setting there.

tks!
Joe
MrChristmas2000 View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote MrChristmas2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2009 at 10:54am
Before using Aurora to attempt output to the lights it would be best if you loaded the LOR hardware utility and check the basic configuration and functionality there. If things work there then move on to diagnosing any potential problems with Aurora. The LOR hardware utility will make the lights do different patterns as well as just on and off. It will also discover the units and verify that you have your LOR network connected properly.

MC2K

Holding breath for DMX.

Quote Buckeyelights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2009 at 12:19pm

S"o there is a LOR hardware utility that I should have loaded first?", said the newbie trying to cover his tracks for being stupid. Confused

I bought the LOR controllers used from an individual and did not receive any LOR hardware disc.  I think it is time to visit the dark side and see what I can find over at LOR.

tks!
Joe
MrChristmas2000 View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote MrChristmas2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2009 at 8:10pm
No problem.

You can find it at http://www.lightorama.com/ in their downloads.

Good Luck.

Holding breath for DMX.

Quote Buckeyelights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2009 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by MrChristmas2000

No problem.

You can find it at http://www.lightorama.com/ in their downloads.

Good Luck.

Mr. C2K, I simply can't find the LOR downloads.  I looked this afternoon and again just now and no success.  Did you see the download there, if so, would you mind a posting a link?

Sorry to be a Pain.

Joe
deweycooter View Drop Down
Development
Development

Quote deweycooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2009 at 9:14pm
Sorry to take this back a step, but first verify you have all the hardware.

PC/Laptop -> USB Cable -> RS485 Dongle -> Cat5 Cable -> Controllers....

I didn't see any mention of the RS485 Dongle - you can't connect the Cat5 directly to your computer.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>