Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Extension cords/ physical light arrangement

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
dylanwalker View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote dylanwalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Extension cords/ physical light arrangement
    Posted: 04 Nov 2009 at 10:08pm
Hi,

sorry if this isn't really the right place to post this question, but I was wondering if anyone has some tips and tricks regarding running extension cords for all of your channels.  I've been doing my lights for about 3 years now and every year I find the most time consuming part to be running the extension cords in a way that they aren't too visible... To save money and to minimize visibility I've been using chains of those cheap brown (probably not rated for outdoors) cords.  I also wouldn't mind any tips on running string lights so that they appear "straight" on things like rooflines.

Again, sorry if this is the wrong place to post, if anyone has a better forum to ask this question, please redirect me.

thanks,

Dylan
wesalbert View Drop Down

Quote wesalbert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2009 at 10:27pm
As far as getting the lights to look straight.  For around the windows I have built PVC "squairs" and tie strap the lights to it.   Along the roof, I plan on also tie strapping the lights to a PVC pipe and attaching it to the house.
I will post up some pics in a couple weeks.
32 channels
Pony_God View Drop Down

Quote Pony_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2009 at 7:45am
We bought SPT1 wire and added out oun plugs so that each cable is a custom length.
Lowes has black, at about 100' or so. But this year we bought 1000' SPT1 and vampire plugs from (someplace that I can't think of or find the recipt of right now that was not Creative Lighting)
Fine. You're so smart you rig up the lights.
D-Light users Unite!
Pony_God View Drop Down

Quote Pony_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2009 at 7:57am
Found it...
Novelty Lights, Inc.
"1000' Spools of SPT-1 18 gauge wire. Make your own extension cords using our male plugs and female sockets. Available in green or white wire"
We also got a few hundred of the "SPT-1 Male Plugs" and "SPT-1 Female Sockets"
D-Light users Unite!
MrChristmas2000 View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote MrChristmas2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2009 at 8:35am
Try here.

http://christmaslightshow.com/xcart/onsale.php

Good prices on SP1 Plugs.

Fair price on SP1 wire.

MC2K

Holding breath for DMX.
bdkeen View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote bdkeen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2009 at 9:02am
Around the windows and roof we chose to use rope light. Built pvc frames for the windows and the ropes are zip tied to them. Ease of installation was the primary goal - 4 zip ties hold each in place. For across the top of the roof we added a eyelet bolt on a bracket on each gable then have a cable with clips on each end and turn-buckle so we can simply clip them fast, tighten it up and zip tie the rope light to the cable giving us a fairly nice straight line across the peak of the roof. They actually hang about an inch above the house across the top

Cord management - well that's still being worked on. Some SPT2 and SPT! this year will help to improve this somewhat this year. Those cords that are visible we simply try to make look a bit neat and organized in some way.

Snow sometimes also helps us to hide the cords LOL

Edited by bdkeen - 05 Nov 2009 at 9:03am
Pony_God View Drop Down

Quote Pony_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2009 at 7:05pm
I started at christmaslightshow.com, but the shipping was so high, that the higher price of the other place with less shipping was still better.
I'll do go with wherever you get the best deal from.
Doesn't christmaslightshow.com have a PC discount as well?
D-Light users Unite!
MrChristmas2000 View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote MrChristmas2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2009 at 8:08pm
I believe they do. I have allays called them up when I placed an order and discussed shipping along with the order. I have purchased a lot of his strobes.

There is a good deal on SP-1 Connectors at HomeDepot.com you might want to be aware of.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?keyword=slide-on&langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Smile

Edited by MrChristmas2000 - 06 Nov 2009 at 6:21am

Holding breath for DMX.
deweycooter View Drop Down
Development
Development

Quote deweycooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2009 at 9:55am
Too bad they're out of stock.  :( 

Vampire plugs are the one thing that seem to have refused to budge on price.  I've always picked mine up from ActionLighting and they're still sitting at around 75 cents a pop for the SPT-2 variety.  I usually get 500' rolls of SPT-2 from them as well for around $65 or $70, but I was able to pick up 1000' rolls for about $100 from Illumimax.

Hopefully Home Depot will stock up a bit more next year and drive the price down a bit more!
Bigindian View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote Bigindian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2009 at 5:59am
I found this place.  Seems to have decent prices.

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.
Albert Einstein
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>